RavenTheDevious

Is there really a 0% chance to be approved for k1 using a co-sponsor in philippines?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was living in the Philippines for 5 years with my fiance. We have a kid together and discussed about giving our daughter a better life in America. So we did the DNA for the Embassy in Manila and our daughter got her CRBA and is now in USA with me. I then started a fiance visa for my future wife and it was approved. Its now almost time for her interview and i got stuck with the I-134 form affadavit of support. I honestly do not make enough. I am surviving on my disabilty check. My mother is willing to cosponsor her. However EVERY SINGLE LAWYER i spoke to tells me that Philippines will not accept a cosponsor under any circumstances. I find this heart breaking since we have a child together and my wife has been stressing for over a year about being together as a family again.So my question is......Is there any chance that she can be approved with a cosponsor at all? Or is it hopeless?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Phil. Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is embassy-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

I was living in the Philippines for 5 years with my fiance. We have a kid together and discussed about giving our daughter a better life in America. So we did the DNA for the Embassy in Manila and our daughter got her CRBA and is now in USA with me. I then started a fiance visa for my future wife and it was approved. Its now almost time for her interview and i got stuck with the I-134 form affadavit of support. I honestly do not make enough. I am surviving on my disabilty check. My mother is willing to cosponsor her. However EVERY SINGLE LAWYER i spoke to tells me that Philippines will not accept a cosponsor under any circumstances. I find this heart breaking since we have a child together and my wife has been stressing for over a year about being together as a family again.So my question is......Is there any chance that she can be approved with a cosponsor at all? Or is it hopeless?

A bit of terminology housekeeping: Your petition was approved, not your fiancee's visa.

First: The U.S. Embassy Manila lately has not been asking K-1ers for the I-134 affidavit of support. However, on their web site, the embassy still lists the I-134 and its supporting documents as required. So, it's recommended that you have them available at the interview.

Your attorneys are flat-out wrong. When the U.S. Embassy Manila was still asking for I-134's, they would sometimes accept a cosponsor. I've noticed that those K-1ers who had their cosponsors accepted were usually young, educated, upwardly mobile Filipinos who were cosponsored by the petitioner's parents or close relative.

I personally know two K-1 couples whose cosponsors were accepted. One of those petitioners was in nursing school, never had a job, and had zero income. There have been other K-1 couples here on VJ who had their cosponsors accepted by the U.S. Embassy Manila.

I would suggest that you have the I-134 and it's supporting documents available at the interview. I would also suggest that you have your cosponsor's I-864 and its supporting documents available at the interview. It's better to be fully prepared. Lastly, I would suggest that you attend your fiancee's interview since you have potential income issues.

You call her your fiancee and later your wife, which is it? If you are not married , get married in the Philippines and go for a CR-1 spouse VISA, cosponsor will be accepted.

Uhhh...He called his fiancée his "future wife."

Timeline

You call her your fiancee and later your wife, which is it? If you are not married , get married in the Philippines and go for a CR-1 spouse VISA, cosponsor will be accepted.

sorry i meant future wife,

Timeline

A bit of terminology housekeeping: Your petition was approved, not your fiancee's visa.

First: The U.S. Embassy Manila lately has not been asking K-1ers for the I-134 affidavit of support. However, on their web site, the embassy still lists the I-134 and its supporting documents as required. So, it's recommended that you have them available at the interview.

Your attorneys are flat-out wrong. When the U.S. Embassy Manila was still asking for I-134's, they would sometimes accept a cosponsor. I've noticed that those K-1ers who had their cosponsors accepted were usually young, educated, upwardly mobile Filipinos who were cosponsored by the petitioner's parents or close relative.

I personally know two K-1 couples whose cosponsors were accepted. One of those petitioners was in nursing school, never had a job, and had zero income. There have been other K-1 couples here on VJ who had their cosponsors accepted by the U.S. Embassy Manila.

I would suggest that you have the I-134 and it's supporting documents available at the interview. I would also suggest that you have your cosponsor's I-864 and its supporting documents available at the interview. It's better to be fully prepared. Lastly, I would suggest that you attend your fiancee's interview since you have potential income issues.

Thanks for the correction. Unfortunately i can not attend the interview. Its much too soon and im the only one taking care of our daughter. i will download the i-864 well. I am assuming my mother is to fill this out. And thank you, you gave me a little bit of hope when i was starting to feel hopeless.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Too bad you didn't get married while living the Philippines for 5 years, you could have had the visa done in 60 days, and the embassy HAS to accept a qualified co-sponsor with the spousal visa.

But that is not the case so 1st off all those lawyers are wrong.... nothing new there, I have yet to hear of a lawyer that knows diddly about any visa process.

The embassy is not required to accept a co-sponsor with the K-1 visa but I know of many cases where USEM did accept a co-sponsor... many.

Your mother offering to be a co-sponsor is a plus as USEM will only consider close family as a co-sponsor with the K-1 visa. Still no guarantees but USEM does accept a co-sponsor on a case by case basis with the K-1.

Have your mother complete an I-134, same as you will, include a copy of her most recent tax return, or financial documentation if not required to pay taxes.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Guys (Tahoma - Hank) I think he may have a better shot then most do, with a cosponsor. Reason I say that, and it's only an opinion, He lived in the Phil for 5 years, she is the mother to the child who is now living in the US and he has a family member as a co sponsor. What say you?

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Timeline

Uhhh...He called his fiancée his "future wife."

He said.."I find this heart breaking since we have a child together and my wife has been stressing for over a year about being together as a family "

It would have simplified things as far as a cosponsor is concerned if was married.

Edited by bowens44

Guys (Tahoma - Hank) I think he may have a better shot then most do, with a cosponsor. Reason I say that, and it's only an opinion, He lived in the Phil for 5 years, she is the mother to the child who is now living in the US and he has a family member as a co sponsor. What say you?

I say that the U.S. Embassy Manila is unlikely to ask for his I-134 and he won't need to take his chances with the cosponsor.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I was living in the Philippines for 5 years with my fiance. We have a kid together and discussed about giving our daughter a better life in America. So we did the DNA for the Embassy in Manila and our daughter got her CRBA and is now in USA with me. I then started a fiance visa for my future wife and it was approved. Its now almost time for her interview and i got stuck with the I-134 form affadavit of support. I honestly do not make enough. I am surviving on my disabilty check. My mother is willing to cosponsor her. However EVERY SINGLE LAWYER i spoke to tells me that Philippines will not accept a cosponsor under any circumstances.

Wrong

I find this heart breaking since we have a child together and my wife has been stressing for over a year about being together as a family again.So my question is......Is there any chance that she can be approved with a cosponsor at all?

Yes

Or is it hopeless?

No

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I said his chances of having a co-sponsor accepted are good because he is using a close family member - USEM is big on this with the K-1. Living in the Phils for 5 years doesn't do jack for USEM accepting a co-sponsor, their focus is the co-sponsor.

And as Tahoma noted USEM may not even ask for the I-134... but that is a gamble.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

USEM rarely accepts co-sponsors, and when they do, allows them on a case by case basis. That said, your case looks pretty strong, and has a good chance of being accepted. Go for it.

In my opinion, if the embassy asks them to submit the I-134, and the applicant tries to use a cosponsor, there is little chance of approval if the petitioner is not Pinoy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.