~Alessa~

Changed my name many years ago, what to do?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone! I am so sorry for so many questions!!! Please reply at least for my main issue.

I am a beneficiary of petition. I haven't find any information about issue I have. Maybe someone knows something about that.

So, main issue is: 10 years ago I changed my first name, last name and patronymic, it was my own volition.

I changed my first name and patronymic first (2014) and next year (2015) I changed my last name. So in common I have 2 birth certificates (my very first one when I was just born and my very new) and 2 certificates of change of name.

I see that in the instructions for I-129f in 8.c paragraph they say something about it. “If either you or the person for whom you are filing is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents you must submit copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as marriage certificate, adoption decree, or court order". Like I understand my relevant document is my very first one birth certificate with old names? Because if I will fill out forms according to my newest birth certificate (the same name in my passport) that will look weird that my last name completely different to my parent's, right?

And the certificates of change of name are enough to prove that I changed that legally? I don't have any other documents though. I am nervous if they could think I changed my name because of the marriage. I've never been married, should I prove them it somehow? In my russian passport I don't have a stamp of marriage, what else to show them? I don't even know.

Should I point out in the continuation sheet that changing my name was my willingness and not because of the marriage?

Should my US fiance send with petition I-129f copies of my certificates of change of name?

Ok, that was my main issue.

And here is some another questions:

1.There are no middle names in Russia but some people use patronymic instead of middle name when filling out forms. I prefer not filling out patronymic I don’t want that as my middle name. Will be that acceptable?

2.Also, how to fill out “Part 2. Information about your alien fiancé” “Other names used” 10a, 10b, 10c? I'm filling out there my previous name but there is no free space for my very first name (given when I was born). Should I use continuation paper for that or just don’t mention my very first name in that form?

I thought of fill out that fields like "see continuation paper" and typed my previous names on that paper.

3.Bye the way, I never got my passport on my very first one name because first it has been changed in my birth certificate and after that I got passport. So should I mention that very first name anyway?

4.Also, my certificates of change of name are laminated, it’s my fault I laminated them 10 years ago. So will NVC or officer at interview accept it laminated? I got non-laminated fresh copies but it says "re-issued" on the front page and the date of issue is fresh not when I actually changed my name (10 years ago). Is it better to use copies or laminated originals?

5.Also, do I have to send somewhere my documents? I was confused when I read that during petition process alien fiancé should send her documents to NVC. Is that true? I thought I only bring documents to the interview. I hope I just found an old information.

Edited by ~Alessa~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline
Hi!

Join all previous names and come to the interview with official documents that show that your name change is legal.

I think that you worry about nothing. regardless of the name of your parents, the main thing is that everything is legal.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi!
Join all previous names and come to the interview with official documents that show that your name change is legal.
I think that you worry about nothing. regardless of the name of your parents, the main thing is that everything is legal.

Thank you for the answer!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.