31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a USC I have been married to my Canadian husband for 10 years.

We are both retired.

Owing to our age & lack of knowledge my husband returned to Canada last week on trying to reenter the USA he was detained & the result was he has been given a 5 year ban.

We now realize that we should have filed correct paperwork years ago when we married but at the time we where told incorrectly we did not need to do anything.

I would appreciate any help or advice as to how to resolve this situation as quickly as possible.

My husband is 68 years old, we have lived together in USA over the 10 years he has often travelled back to Canada often with no problem.

I have no idea where to start or what I need to do?

I think I need to apply for him to come to the USA to live with me? Is it I-130? Do I also need to apply for waiver of his ban?

He is currently in Canada & I am in the USA.

Or can anyone suggest a good immigration lawyer in Northern VA or DC? If you do not think I can file for this myself.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Moved from Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America forum to Waivers forum; OP's spouse will require a waiver.***

**Moderator hat off**

You will file the I-130 to begin the process (you will not apply for anything). It will not be possible to file the I-601 until after the visa has been denied by the Consulate. For a waiver to be successful, you will need to show how your spouse not being here constitutes a hardship.

Since immigration is a federal matter, any lawyer in the country can represent you should you choose to retain one.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In that 10 years what was the longest time he visited the US?

IR1 visa which takes about a year plus another 6 months or so for the waiver. I would start by reading the Guides, this is a DIY site but not verybody is comfortable DIY.

Sounds like he has been tax resident in the US all that time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Yes, you need to petition him with I-130 and would need to deal with the bans when applying for the immigrant visa.

It sounds like he has a 5-year 9A ban from being removed upon entry. (Though if he was coming from Canada, it seems unnecessary to remove him since they can just turn him around. It sounds like they were trying to punish him for his past violations.) There is no immigrant visa "waiver" for this ban; rather, if he wanted to immigrate within the 5 years he would apply for "permission to reapply" with I-212 which removes the ban (some people might call this a waiver).

There is also the consideration of whether he has a 9B unlawful presence ban. Unlawful presence is generally accrued by staying past the date on the I-94. Leaving the US after 180 days of unlawful presence triggers a 3-year ban; leaving the US after 1 year of unlawful presence triggers a 10-year ban. This is complicated in this case by the fact that Canadian visitors crossing by land often do not get I-94s (paper or electronic) so they generally do not accrue unlawful presence no matter how long they stay. If he has an unlawful presence ban, he would apply for an immigrant visa waiver with I-601 based on "extreme hardship" to you; if he doesn't, then there is no need for this.

Timeline

The longest he was here was 4 or 5 years when we first married as we where told at that time as he was married to me he did not need to do anything. Obviously we feel foolish now.

They gave him a 5 year ban?

I am just checking the paperwork to see what they gave him.

Timeline

They might smack him with a I 601, actually sometimes I think that is an advantage as a lone I 212 processing is all over the place and it is the same hardships.

The main advantage if it is just a I 212 is that you can get that going now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

They might smack him with a I 601, actually sometimes I think that is an advantage as a lone I 212 processing is all over the place and it is the same hardships.

The main advantage if it is just a I 212 is that you can get that going now.

How will I know which is the correct waiver?

I have just read up on the I-130 & I think I can get all that paperwork put together if I have to but I will call the lawyer suggested as well.

Timeline

You do not know for certain until the interview. Now if it was not Canada it would be clear, you need both, but there is fudge issues with Canadians.

I guess if they were feeling really nasty they could slap him with Misrep, but probably unlikely.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

a misrepresentation, telling the immigration people a lie at some point. It could happen during his last attempt or something they recorded from a prior one and now find to be a lie. It would be rare for this to happen.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

They could smack him with misrep for entering the US repeatedly as a tourist whne in fact he was living here, not sure it is something the Candian Consulate does, but a possibility, probably remote.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

we where told

Not to be snarky, but OMG, who told you the misinformation? Just a rhetorical question. My point is that most Americans don't have a clue about the legal immigration process. Culturally, movies and t.v. shows get it wrong all the time.

If I were you I'd be contacting at least one attorney since this looks kind of complicated. But don't just hand the case over to them, you have to be involved the whole time to make sure it's done correctly. You can do your part by studying the guides and sample applications, and searching for like cases.

Wishing you success and good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.