40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The CO will have a background check on the petitioner so expect it to be a topic in the interview. The CO will want to make sure that you know about the petitioner's past.

But is it a ground for denial? Is his case still under Domestic Violence even if it wasnt stated that way but still a felony cased by his ex wife?

Im pretty confident how to answer them if they ask me about it. Im just afraid that they will think we didnt declare it as domestic violence. We were just confused.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

If your fiance used a gun while committing a crime, that's an act of violence. If the criminal act was against his ex wife, I would think that that falls under IMBRA. Not much you can do about it now but to prepare for the interview, as it's probably gonna come up then. If asked, just explain the incident and how you thought it didn't fall under IMBRA because of XYZ.

Good luck with the interview. And please come back here and say how it went, so others in your situation in the future have an answer to this issue. :)

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Timeline

If your fiance used a gun while committing a crime, that's an act of violence. If the criminal act was against his ex wife, I would think that that falls under IMBRA. Not much you can do about it now but to prepare for the interview, as it's probably gonna come up then. If asked, just explain the incident and how you thought it didn't fall under IMBRA because of XYZ.

Good luck with the interview. And please come back here and say how it went, so others in your situation in the future have an answer to this issue. :)

I definitely will.... Hopefully it turns out good. Thanks so much for your replies. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I suggest you bring all of copies his court documents to explain the situation and the outcome)if you have those, then the CO knows you have been informed. Just in case, you are asked about it at the interview. You got this far, so this is good news. The Embassy did not return your petition to the NVC for clarification with the USCIS--if that happened, the petition is good as dead. But yours made it to the interview stage--so be happy and be prepared to explain it. Yes, and the Embassy will want to make sure you know, so be prepared. And you should be fine

Timeline

I suggest you bring all of copies his court documents to explain the situation and the outcome)if you have those, then the CO knows you have been informed. Just in case, you are asked about it at the interview. You got this far, so this is good news. The Embassy did not return your petition to the NVC for clarification with the USCIS--if that happened, the petition is good as dead. But yours made it to the interview stage--so be happy and be prepared to explain it. Yes, and the Embassy will want to make sure you know, so be prepared. And you should be fine

Yes his criminal records are with me and I am more than willing to show it to them if they ask about it and answer all their questions regarding the case...

I really hope you're right and hope they wont be taking it as a ground of denial on my interview. It worries us so much...

Thank you for your reply... appreciate it much...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Please Please help me out! We are really confused about this matter!

I am about to have my interview soon and my fiance (the USC Petitioner) has a criminal record which is felony...

The record was breaking and entering with a deadly weapon and robbery...

It was filed by his ex wife against him but then he wasnt charged Domestic Violence so we didnt click the YES on the I-129f and we didnt submit his criminal records thinking we dont fall under those that are listed in IMBRA category since it's only Breaking & Entering with deadly weapon and Robbery and bothe were not listed there...

And now as we read about domestic violence definition, it says:

The term "domestic violence" includes felony or misdemeanor crimes of violence committed by a current or

former spouse of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is

cohabitating with or has cohabitated with the victim as a spouse, by a person similarly situated to a spouse of

the victim under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction receiving grant monies, or by any other

person against an adult or youth victim who is protected from that person's acts under the domestic or family

violence laws of the jurisdiction.

So, our question is.... did his case still fall under Domestic Violence since it is a felony case filed by his ex wife? If so, will we be in trouble by not disclosing it and will we be denied because of it? We are really worried about it. Hope we knew earlier so we could have just sent them his criminal records and disclosed it... i feel so bad about this.

My fiancee is a really good man and he's not even guilty about the charges and he was just set up by his crazy ex wife... he could have fought with it in the court for him not to be convicted but he pleaded guilty and paid the fine just for them to release him from jail and so he can get back to work fast and provide for his kids and his mom. Coz if he stays in the jail for a longer time while the trial is ongoing, then his family might have nothing to eat and cant pay the rent and the bills...

This is really getting us down. Please help us out with your answers...

If you are already at the interview phase then I wouldn't worry about it. Normally you would have received an RFE during the approval phase from USCIS. If you are already interviewing soon then it apparently was not an issue. I was also worried about a case (petitioner) but it never came up at USCIS or at the interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

From the OP statements, they have discussed the situation, she has court records, and the full story and feels comfortable in moving forward. Just because someone is charged with an offense does not mean they are guilty nor that those events truly occurred. Innocent people get wrongfully charged with crimes everyday.

OP good luck at your interview. Be confident, calm, and relaxed. Simply answer what is asked of you. Update us on how it turns out! Best of Luck!

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: Timeline

OP just be sure you have the courts version of things...talking it over is fine but

your version of what you know is important if questioned which is likely due to

DV inference.....To not have the recorded version can lead to a denial of not been

bonafide, immigration thinks there should be no secrets

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Two posts have been removed -- one for being off the OP's topic, the other by someone who didn't read the thread.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

If you are already at the interview phase then I wouldn't worry about it. Normally you would have received an RFE during the approval phase from USCIS. If you are already interviewing soon then it apparently was not an issue. I was also worried about a case (petitioner) but it never came up at USCIS or at the interview

Okay... Yes we are really hoping that this wont be an issue... I'm worried they will think of it badly that we didn't disclose it if it falls under DV. It was really an honest mistake. If we knew about it then we could have get ourselves a lawyer who can help us but we really thought we are doing good until we read about the description of DV.

Thank you so much for your reply and Im glad to hear that your case wasnt brought up during the interview... i will just pray it will be the same for us.

God bless... :)

Timeline

From the OP statements, they have discussed the situation, she has court records, and the full story and feels comfortable in moving forward. Just because someone is charged with an offense does not mean they are guilty nor that those events truly occurred. Innocent people get wrongfully charged with crimes everyday.

OP good luck at your interview. Be confident, calm, and relaxed. Simply answer what is asked of you. Update us on how it turns out! Best of Luck!

Wow! Exactly my thoughts... you said the right words... makes me feel better... i read all their comments but since my limitations on posts, i couldn't reply to them. I understand them but i feel bad that some people would right away scrutinize him. Even if its a long time, it still breaks my heart that it happened to him... anyway, my sentiment is already off topic. lol

But i really appreciate everything you said. Im hoping i'd be back here after my interview with a good news. Wish me luck and please include us in your prayers and the rest of the couples who are going the same thing.

Thank you LionessDeon! God bless you!

Timeline

OP just be sure you have the courts version of things...talking it over is fine but

your version of what you know is important if questioned which is likely due to

DV inference.....To not have the recorded version can lead to a denial of not been

bonafide, immigration thinks there should be no secrets

Hi Jawaree, yes we have the copies of his criminal record from the court... and yeah, for sure i will give them honest answers and no secrets at all knowing they actually know everything and we cant hide things from them... if they ask me, i will answer them with whatever i know about his case. Those are the only 2 charges that occured in one night that he ever had in his whole life too. No other criminal record.

We are just hoping and praying for the best that they wont consider it as DV and that they wont deny us. Hope everything will turn out well.

Thank you!

Edited by Nicole_Filipina

Timeline

Two posts have been removed -- one for being off the OP's topic, the other by someone who didn't read the thread.

VJ Moderation

Thank you so much although i read both of it and i felt bad reading them but it's okay... i understand them...

Admin, I just wanna say something although it may be off topic too. It would be okay if you will also delete my comment...

But Just in case they can read this...

To answer the first guy- well, yeah i already mentioned on my original post why he pleaded guilty with the case. Not because of misrepresentation or that he was really guilty of the crime but he pleaded guilty because he has two young kids and his mother and grandmother whom he's providing food, money for daily expenses and paying for the rent. If he will go through trial, it will take him so much time to be out from the jail and literally his family will be on the streets... if he pleads guilty, he will stay in the jail for a shorter time and just pay the fine and then he can go back working again and continue providing for his family.. thats the exact reason why he chose the latter.

For the other guy who commented about him bringing a deadly weapon and breaking into his ex wife's house... well, like i said again with the original post, the witnesses facts were false and misleading...

If i have to share what happened exactly,

1st - he didnt just break into his ex wife's house... it's an apartment that he's renting for her even they're already separated that time and he broke into it when he saw another guy inside the house at the balcony. Ironically, it was her ex wife who called him asking him to go there coz she wanted to talk. They set him up. Thats what it is.

2nd, about the deadly weapon. He doesnt have any. He didnt bring any weapon. The guy said he brought a black pistol, the ex wife said he brought a silver revolver. Two different things which obviously they're giving them false evidences.

And 3rd, the robbery was about her ex wife's phone which he bought for her, he took it from her and due to him being upset, he threw it on the floor and it got broken and they already considered it robbery.

He never touched not touched anyone. They were just arguing on why she even called him to be there so they can talk and then when he gets there, this guy is with her. Basically, she wants him to be jealous about her having another guy...

Then they called the police and reported what happened. And thats the charges they came up with...

He may be wrong with his decisions once in his life, but doesnt mean his happiness can be taken away from him forever just because something happened in the past. We understand how the Visa Procedure goes and how strict they are with their rules thats why we are doing our best to comply with the requirements... We thought we did some mistake in filling up the I-129f form with regards to the DV that's why i am here trying to ask about your thoughts about the case and if its gonna affect our visa process... but with all due respect, please dont scrutinize my fiancee with all the hurtful words and question our relationship because like i said, i know him with all that he is and i chose to be with him for the rest of our lives.

Thank you! Much respect.

Edited by Nicole_Filipina

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello everyone! As promised, I am back to talk about how my interview went... :)

Thanks to our good Lord, i was approved! No questions were asked. I just tried to be very confident answering all the personal questions about me, my fiance, about our relationship and the whole time, it never felt as if i was interviewed but felt as if we were just having a conversation and laughing the whole time coz we were throwing some jokes too in between questions.

I am so happy today and it will never be possible if God wasnt there to help me. He was with me all the time and silent prayer helped me to be calm and be very focused...

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of your inputs! All worries now gone and just waiting for our Visa on Hand. :)

God bless us all!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Congratulations on your visa. :) Glad to see it all worked out.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.