JusticeWarrior67

Marriage on a tourist visa for consular processing

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

okay so i got engage to my wonderful wife while i was still on my student F-1 visa. After i finished my studies, i came back to my home country and got a tourist visa (B1/B2) visa and after it was granted, i got married to her in the U.S 1 month after my entry.

i spent a few months later on during which i submitted the I-130 form and a few days after i left the U.S and flew back to my home country to receive the CR-1 immigrant visa without over-staying my tourist visa

now based on this information, have i done anything illegal? is there a reason my immigrant visa might be denied simply because i didn't get a K-1 fiance visa and got married to her on my tourist visa even though i didnt adjust status and came back before my i-94 expired??

are they going to deny my case because i planned to marry her on my tourist visa? what you think?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

It's perfectly fine to do what you did.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

okay so i got engage to my wonderful wife while i was still on my student F-1 visa. After i finished my studies, i came back to my home country and got a tourist visa (B1/B2) visa and after it was granted, i got married to her in the U.S 1 month after my entry.

i spent a few months later on during which i submitted the I-130 form and a few days after i left the U.S and flew back to my home country to receive the CR-1 immigrant visa without over-staying my tourist visa

now based on this information, have i done anything illegal? is there a reason my immigrant visa might be denied simply because i didn't get a K-1 fiance visa and got married to her on my tourist visa even though i didnt adjust status and came back before my i-94 expired??

are they going to deny my case because i planned to marry her on my tourist visa? what you think?

I have similar story. Lawyer told us that we can file K1 or either way I can get married to him on my B2 without staying in the USA and adjusting status and file for CR1. That's exactly what we are doing and after chatting to CBP (I am a cabin crew), he told me what We did is perfectly fine and legal. So no worries :)

I-130 sent: 28th of October, 2015
USCIS received I-130: 2nd of November, 2015
NOA1 - text message: 4th of November, 2015
CASE routed to Nebraska Service Center
NOA1 - mail: About a week later - not sure about the exact date
NOA2 - 8th of March, 2016

Adjustment of Status

AOS packet sent - 6th of June, 2016
AOS delivered/picked up - 7th of June, 2016

3x NOA1 via e-mail/text - 20JUNE, 2016

3x NOA1 hard copy - 24JUNE, 2016

Biometrics letter - 30JUNE, 2016 (appointment date 07/15/2016)

Biometrics done - 1JULY, 2016

Interview for GC scheduled - 15 August, 2016 (date was 15 September, 2016)

EAD/AP approval - 23 AUGUST, 2016

EAD/AP received - 30 AUGUST, 2016

Interview rescheduled - 13 September, 2016

Interview date - 18 October, 2016

Removal of Conditions 

I-751 packet sent: 13th of September, 2018 (Texas),

Text notification of case received : 20th of September, 2018 (receipt number SRC xxxx]

Biometrics: REUSED, notice 22 MAY, 2019

Case transferred: 25 JULY, 2019

N-400

Applied online: 24 JULY, 2019

NOA: 24 JULY, 2010

Biometrics: Appointment scheduled on 8/3/2019 for 22 AUGUST, 2019

Biometrics: successful WALK IN on 8 AUGUST, 2019 (Jacksonville, FL) 

Biometrics: "We reviewed your biometrics" update 8 AUGUST, 2019 

Estimated time of completion: November 2019 (3 months)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most people would have stayed and adjusted, you can get married in the US a s a Tourist, not an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

I would not highlight the fact that you intended to get married when you visited her in the U.S. on your tourist visa. Even though lots of people do it, it's still technically visa fraud.

It's good that you're going through the process to adjust status but a lot more people would take the path that you took if it was allowed because you didn't have to wait like others on a K1 or marriage visa.

K1 Visa

06-13-2015 - Engaged!

07-17-2015 - I-129F packet sent

09-02-2015 - NVC sent case to U.S. Consulate in Jerusalem, packet 3 sent via email

11-04-2015 - Interview (Approved!)

11-19-2015 - K-1 Visa in-hand

12-25-2015 - POE (Atlanta, GA)

AOS/Green Card

01-10-2016 - Got married

01-16-2016 - I-485/EAD application sent (same packet)

03-04-2016 - EAD card arrives in mail (successful expedite)

05-18-2016 - Received AOS letter with interview appointment

06-07-2016 - AOS Interview scheduled (Atlanta) - Approved!

06-15-2016 - Green Card in hand!

ROC

03-24-2018 - Mailed in ROC petition packet

03-27-2018 - NOA (packet received); 1-year extension

05-25-2018 - Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would not highlight the fact that you intended to get married when you visited her in the U.S. on your tourist visa. Even though lots of people do it, it's still technically visa fraud.

Nope

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

No it's not fraud in any way, shape, or form. You can visit the USA to get married.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

There is nothing fraudulent with getting married in the US on a tourist visa! It's perfectly legal and lots of us have done it!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

i talked to my lawyer about this and he personally told me that if I decided to adjust status INSTEAD of getting a spouse visa, then I'd be in trouble but since I chose to follow the rules and come back to my home country BEFORE my I-94 expires, then i should be fine, and that would even show that i respect the law by returning back home and waiting patiently for my immigrant visa.

i asked you guys this question, just to make sure

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.