Scarborough

Frustrating wait for the process of naturalization based on 3-year green card

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am in a dilemma on my plan of visiting my home country China in February 2016. Please feel free to provide any suggestion.

My situation:

Chinese citizen green card holder (10-year permanent) based on marriage to my USC wife.

Filed my naturalization form (N-400) in mid-June 2015, fingerprints in July, and then USCIS just disappeared.

No criminal record, was away from US for about 40 days in total in the past 3 years.

As of today, no news from USCIS (not even "background check" or "in-line for interview" mentioned by some of your guys). Only "On June 19, 2015, we received your case.....blah blah blah".

My dilemma is: I want to visit my parents for Chinese New Year 2016 so bad (I haven't been back for over 2 years), and I plan to leave the states at the end of January and come back in March. If I book the air tickets right now, I will get a much better price. But I am afraid I will take the interview and finish the oath in/by late January. At that time, I am a US citizen without a US passport and a Chinese visa. (The process of US passport application will take another month at least, plus the process of Chinese visa). China doesn't allow dual-citizenship, that means I cannot go back with my Chinese passport in February (assuming that I take the oath in/by late January and become a US citizen).

So I don't know if I should book the air tickets right now.

Edited by Scarborough

It doesn't take one month to get a U.S passport. You can get a passport same day if you show proof Of your impending trip overseas. As per the N400 you will just have to wait. I believe you will be scheduled for interview any day now. I just got my notification and I filled in July in one of the slowest field offices on record.

Edited by S_R

....All your Negative Energy Feeds Cancer!

event.png

Timeline

It doesn't take one month to get a U.S passport. You can get a passport same day if you show proof Of your impending trip overseas. As per the N400 you will just have to wait. I believe you will be scheduled for interview any day now. I just got my notification and I filled in July in one of the slowest field offices on record.

Wow, great information about passport, thank you very much. My current strategy is to book the air tickets as soon as an interview has been set.

Timeline

My opinion is you should wait to book your tickets.

My current strategy is to book the air tickets as soon as an interview has been set. Thanks for your input.

Just use the passport agency in NYC. You only pay the "normal" expedite fee. The rule allowing you to use the office is, international travel within 2 weeks, OR travel requiring a visa within 4 weeks. I am naturalizing on Wednesday, but will have a US passport in hand on Thursday due to a celebration trip I booked for Friday. You can make the appointment up to 2 weeks in advance.

Timeline

Just use the passport agency in NYC. You only pay the "normal" expedite fee. The rule allowing you to use the office is, international travel within 2 weeks, OR travel requiring a visa within 4 weeks. I am naturalizing on Wednesday, but will have a US passport in hand on Thursday due to a celebration trip I booked for Friday. You can make the appointment up to 2 weeks in advance.

Thank you for your information.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You can book the tickets at any time. Even if you are called for the interview you can still travel internationally - you won't be a citizen until you're sworn in, and if you can't make the oath date - regardless of reason - you can reschedule it. You can also reschedule the interview, if you're unable to make it.

Good luck.

Hi everyone,

I am in a dilemma on my plan of visiting my home country China in February 2016. Please feel free to provide any suggestion.

My situation:

Chinese citizen green card holder (10-year permanent) based on marriage to my USC wife.

Filed my naturalization form (N-400) in mid-June 2015, fingerprints in July, and then USCIS just disappeared.

No criminal record, was away from US for about 40 days in total in the past 3 years.

As of today, no news from USCIS (not even "background check" or "in-line for interview" mentioned by some of your guys). Only "On June 19, 2015, we received your case.....blah blah blah".

My dilemma is: I want to visit my parents for Chinese New Year 2016 so bad (I haven't been back for over 2 years), and I plan to leave the states at the end of January and come back in March. If I book the air tickets right now, I will get a much better price. But I am afraid I will take the interview and finish the oath in/by late January. At that time, I am a US citizen without a US passport and a Chinese visa. (The process of US passport application will take another month at least, plus the process of Chinese visa). China doesn't allow dual-citizenship, that means I cannot go back with my Chinese passport in February (assuming that I take the oath in/by late January and become a US citizen).

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My situation:

I filled mine on Feb, had my fingerprints in March then I just got news in September when I receive the update for the interview that took place on october 15 and the officer told me that i will receive a letter in 3 weeks and until now nothing, so the entire process is taking 9 months and still rolling....No updated on the oath yet! I don't understand why is taking sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long for just a few people! I dont have even a ticket, my country dont mess with nobody (Brazil), the only thing that we can do is wait, some people have easy, some people dont

Filed: Timeline

It seems that you got stuck with the background check process. Those who get interview so quickly after the fingerprint appointment are so lucky because their cases go through a routine adjudication. Your case might still be pending at the background check unit in the National benefits center.

Filed: Timeline

I filled mine on Feb, had my fingerprints in March then I just got news in September when I receive the update for the interview that took place on october 15 and the officer told me that i will receive a letter in 3 weeks and until now nothing, so the entire process is taking 9 months and still rolling....No updated on the oath yet! I don't understand why is taking sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long for just a few people! I dont have even a ticket, my country dont mess with nobody (Brazil), the only thing that we can do is wait, some people have easy, some people dont

You are in better situation. You at least got the interview which triggers the 120 days rule. The OP did not even get an interview. Getting an interview means that your background check is finished but your case needs further review by the supervisor. By law, they have 120 days to give you a decision from the date they interviewed you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.