k1701

From the UK, marrying a US citizen.

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all!

Basically, I am a UK citizen. I am currently engaged to a US citizen. I am visiting her currently on a visa waiver program. (I have a return ticket, returning back to the UK next month). As we are engaged now, the discussion of marriage sooner rather than later, is now in conversation as we both cannot wait until the next visit. Air fares aren't cheap and timing isn't the best due to one anothers work schedules.

We have thought about going to get hitched in Virginia but I have a few questions and hoping I can get some help with them. It's a completely last minute, spontaneous decision. I guess when you know, you know, right? :-) I certainly do not want to wait longer than I have to, to spend my life with this girl.

I was just wondering whether this would be a good idea? Will it cause any issues? Has anyone reading this, done it this way and can you give me your story?

I have read SO many different views on this on the internet.

Some people have said it's a very bad idea and shouldn't be attempted as we'll end up having people knocking on the door, ready to deport me. Others have said it would be OK to do, as my first initial intentions for my visit, which I stated at the border, was visiting my fiancé before coming back home to reality after a few weeks!

What would the next steps have to be, if we were to get married?

Would I be able to stay in the US whilst the relevant paperwork is submitted?

Which forms need to be submitted? Are they expensive? (I didn't exactly have plenty of savings for this!)

How long would the whole process take?

I understand too, that I'll be unable to work until I have a green card?

I'm just really worried as I know next to nothing about this whole journey when it comes to visas etc.

I want to marry as soon as I can with this girl, but I don't want it to cause problems down the road for us both.

Thank you for any information/advice you may give!

Edited by k1701

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

It's perfectly fine to get married and adjust while you're in the US since you weren't intending on this happening. Like you said, it was a spontaneous decision.

If you were to get married, you would need to file for an Adjustment of Status. Here is the relevant guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Yes, as long as the AOS is pending, you are allowed to stay in the US.

You will need the following forms: I-130, G-325A, I-485, I-864, I-693, I-751 (EAD, work authorization), I-131 (AP, travel authorization) ...these are all listed in the guide posted

I believe the total cost will be a little over $1,000 to file.

You will receive the EAD/AP combo card (allowing you to work and travel) in about 2-3 months. To get your actual GC, it may take many months depending on the processing times.

You'll be able to work once you receive the EAD/AP combo card which will take a few months.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

The fee for AOS is $1070. But people often forget all the other things they have to pay for. For instance the medical exam, and fees for getting needed documents such as birth certificates, police records and so. Also, it will take a few months until you can work, so if you're fiance can't support the both of you, you need some savings for that. Does she make enough money to sponsor you?

2012: met the woman of my life :wub:

June 2014: filed I-129F

May 2015: visa in hand - got married (L)

June 2015: filed I-485 and I-765

October 2015: EAD

November 2015: Potential Interview Waiver Notice

February 2016: AOS Case transferred to San Francisco office

March 2016: GC in hand (no interview)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to What Visa Do I Need, from K1 P&P - As the OP has not started anything and is learning her options~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.