annabelle1

Romanian passport-renewal nightmare!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I just wanted to vent for a moment about how frustrated I am about how difficult it is to get my husband's Romanian passport renewed (it expired last January.) Originally we sent paperwork to his sister to renew it for us, but were not able to do it because the power-of-attorney allowing her to do it for him was notarized, but did not have an apostille on it (apparently this is a stamp that you can get from the Secretary of State so that a notarized document can be recognized in other countries. Paul thought that the notary stamp was the same thing as the apostille.) So then we sent the passport to the Romanian embassy to be renewed (and were told it would take about six months) but they sent all the forms and documents back WITH NO EXPLANATION. When he called them, it turns out we have to register ourselves as married in Romania before he can renew his passport. The lady told him that he could do a power-of-attorney for that as well and get his sister to do it. Then he called back yesterday to ask a different question and another woman told him a power-of-attorney cannot be done to register a marriage. Supposedly he has to go to D.C. to register our marriage!!! When he explained that we had been told otherwise, she said that maybe he wasn't talking to the consular section the first time.

Anyway, does anyone know what the real deal is with registering marriage in Romania? Do you really have to appear at the embassy in person?

Jan. 2002--met and dated in Italy

March 2004--got engaged and began process for K-1 visa

Oct. 4 & 5, 2004--interviews in Naples

Dec. 18, 2004--our wedding day

Dec. 24, 2004--sent off I-485, I-765, etc.

May 5, 2005--AOS interview

----

Feb. 24, 2007--Sent application to remove conditions on residency

March 29, 2007--Biometrics

April 15, 2008--Conditions removed

---

Aug. 21, 2008--NOA for N400

Oct. 20, 2008--Biometrics

Jan. 7, 2009--Interview in Jacksonville--"application recommended for approval"

April 23, 2009--Oath ceremony!!!

I just wanted to vent for a moment about how frustrated I am about how difficult it is to get my husband's Romanian passport renewed (it expired last January.) Originally we sent paperwork to his sister to renew it for us, but were not able to do it because the power-of-attorney allowing her to do it for him was notarized, but did not have an apostille on it (apparently this is a stamp that you can get from the Secretary of State so that a notarized document can be recognized in other countries. Paul thought that the notary stamp was the same thing as the apostille.) So then we sent the passport to the Romanian embassy to be renewed (and were told it would take about six months) but they sent all the forms and documents back WITH NO EXPLANATION. When he called them, it turns out we have to register ourselves as married in Romania before he can renew his passport. The lady told him that he could do a power-of-attorney for that as well and get his sister to do it. Then he called back yesterday to ask a different question and another woman told him a power-of-attorney cannot be done to register a marriage. Supposedly he has to go to D.C. to register our marriage!!! When he explained that we had been told otherwise, she said that maybe he wasn't talking to the consular section the first time.

Anyway, does anyone know what the real deal is with registering marriage in Romania? Do you really have to appear at the embassy in person?

I don't know. It seems strange that you need to register a marriage in order to get his passport renewed. Can you get the apostille? I hate to bash otherwise lovely countries, but I do know that if the Romanian embassy is even a little bit as miserable and incompetent as the Bulgarian embassy in DC, you're in for a lot of breathtaking lies, ignorance, and all-around grief. In my experience, it is much better to find out the law in the country - for instance, if your husband's sister can talk to the Romanian foreign ministry and discover what the laws are for registering foreign marriages, you'll probably get far more reliable information than the embassy will give you. If you do have to go to DC, be sure you have a specific appointment with someone at the embassy and CONFIRM it the day before.

9-12/2004 - met and fell in love in Bulgaria

2004 - 2006 - travel, travel, travel...

11/2006 - moved to Bulgaria

1/2007 - engaged

4/2007 - wedding

DCF for CR-1 Visa BEGINS:

5/16/2007 - I-130 filed at Sofia, Bulgaria embassy

I'm sorry that you have so much trouble. I dont really know how it is in romania but for germany you have to register your marriage first as well, if you have changed your name. Before you can not renew your passport.

Did you check on the webpage of the romanian consulate?? Maybe you can get some information there and do the registering online.

I know for germany thats possible.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find a solution!

Susanne

blackribbonsmall.png

R.I.P Diana

1982-2008

Removal Timeline

11/17/08 - mailed out documents

11/19/08 - documents received by USCIS

11/25/08 - check cashed

12/10/08 - Biometrics letter

12/19/08 - second Biometrics letter

12/26/09 - went to Boston for Biometrics Appointment - THEY WERE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!

01/13/09 - Biometrics Appointment in Boston

01/13/09 - several phonecalls to uscis to find out where my extension letter is - will send out extension letter which will take up to 3 weeks

01/21/09 - phonecall to uscis about the extension letter. They are still working on the service request! told me to go to an infopass

appointment

01/22/09 - went to SS office to get a new SS-card. They won't issue a new one because me GC expires in 2 weeks.

01/22/09 - talked to the Office of my congressman. They will look into the issue and call me back - hopefully!!!!

01/26/09 - talked to the Office of the congressman. She read an email to me from USCIS stating that they sent out the letter on Friday!

They said I should have it in 7 days! So now we wait.....again!

01/29/09 - extension letter received!

05/15/09 - Removal of conditions approved :) ..waiting for actual card now :)

06/01/09 - Card in the mail!

Timeline

Unfortunately....the website DOES say that you have to come in person but we didn't think that was accurate because when he called the first time they had said that we could use the power-of-attorney. We are going to get his sister to call and find out what they will actually accept in Romania. Hopefully we can bypass the embassy altogether. Thanks for the info that the Bulgarian embassy is not much different. That actually does make me feel a little better. I guess I always had this idea that embassies were supposed to be on the side of their fellow citizens and be really helpful. When I was in Italy, I heard of a few different stories about Americans who had really good experiences with the American embassy in Italy.

My husband and I are now joking that he might be able to get American citizenship and an American passport before he will be able to get his Romanian one renewed! :wacko:

----

---

Timeline

Susanne--You said that for Germany you have to register the marriage only if you change your name. Unfortunately, they are telling us that he has to register our marriage even though I changed my name to his! I think that is really odd, especially because a passport doesn't even mention marital status. What are they afraid of? That he has another wife and kids back in Romania?! I forgot to mention that the lady was also really nosy. She wanted to know why he wanted to go back to Romania and how long his passport had been expired. Ummm, because he has FAMILY back there and would like to visit them. And what does it matter how long the passport has been expired if it is expired now? Whew. Thanks for listening to my rant.

----

---

Unfortunately....the website DOES say that you have to come in person but we didn't think that was accurate because when he called the first time they had said that we could use the power-of-attorney. We are going to get his sister to call and find out what they will actually accept in Romania. Hopefully we can bypass the embassy altogether. Thanks for the info that the Bulgarian embassy is not much different. That actually does make me feel a little better. I guess I always had this idea that embassies were supposed to be on the side of their fellow citizens and be really helpful. When I was in Italy, I heard of a few different stories about Americans who had really good experiences with the American embassy in Italy.

My husband and I are now joking that he might be able to get American citizenship and an American passport before he will be able to get his Romanian one renewed! :wacko:

You're welcome. It's a shame, but some countries have evil, lazy, wretched staff in their embassies. The Bulgarian embassy in DC's website posted incorrect information. They just never bothered to update it. AND they gave me incorrect info when I called. Several times. On several topics that they really should have known about! Had I followed their advice, I could well be paying some hefty fines or even in a Bulgarian jail right now. They actually had me weeping in rage and despair at one point. But their foreign ministry website was much better and although my fiance breaks into a cold sweat every time we need to deal with an office or ministry here in Bulgaria, they are always SO NICE and absolutely helpful. So by all means, bypass that embassy if you can!

1/2007 - engaged

4/2007 - wedding

Timeline

So....he got his sister to go to the office in Romania today and they said that he CAN use power-of-attorney to register the marriage. So we will try it and hopefully it will work!

----

---

So....he got his sister to go to the office in Romania today and they said that he CAN use power-of-attorney to register the marriage. So we will try it and hopefully it will work!

I hope it goes well. :)

1/2007 - engaged

4/2007 - wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Dear Annabelle, indeed you need to have your marriage recorded in Romania first before your husband can apply for the renewal of his expired passport. You just have to send your sister-in-law a Power-of-Attorney in this respect and a certified copy of your marriage certificate. She then needs to have them translated into Romanian (by a sworn translator) and notarized. Having that accomplished, the next step she needs to take is to go to the Civil Status Division of your husband's former town of residence in Romania and they will have your marriage recorded. God bless!

Timeline

Forgive me, Annabelle, I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote the reply to your post, I may have been unclear about the translations of the Power of Attorney and certificate of marriage, so it's them that have to be notarized, the translations...Good luck!

Hi Annabelle,

I am a Romanian here in Germany and last year I registered my marriage in Romania. The fastest way to do it is for him to go to Romania, register the marriage and get the new passport (using emergency reason)...and is cheaper.

I didn't have time to go back to my town in Romania so I sent a power of attorney (i made it at the Romanian Consulate in Bonn) and my marriage certificate to my sister and she took care of everything. but the process takes like 3 months. be careful to state in the power of attorney that includes the power to summit all the papers, to sign and to receive the romanian certificate .after that he can change his passport at the embassy, then again it can take a few months. so....

as I said, the fastest way is to go back to Romania.

Best wishes

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

• 2 weeks later...

If your husband will get soon US passport don’t bother with the Romanian one.

Citizens of the European Union can enter and exit any country of the EU with their national ID card.

• 7 years later...
Timeline

Hello,

I need to get my wife's passport renewed, she is from Romania. We were married 4 months ago and just did the biometrics for her AOS. I see this post is a few years old, can anyone tell me if the procedures on this string still apply? All the docs we are applying for (social security, drivers license) we are using her married name, do we need to get an apostille on our marriage licence to get her passport renewed? How do we get her name changed in Romania?

Edited by Javi76

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I am also looking for information like this. My wife is Romanian and is still living in Germany and we are in the USCIS stage for the CR1 visa. We were married in June and have not changed her name or registered anything yet. Would it be easiest to change her name before we get the visa? We will be in Romania for 4 days in January. Will that be enough time for registering the marriage and getting a new passport with her new name? If they can't complete the passport in that time, can they send it to her or can she get it at an embassy or consulate in Germany? Or should we wait till she is here? Is it hard to change her name here when her Romanian passport has a different name? I hope someone can help.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Romania
Timeline
Hey joshuah57,

If I am not too late around with the answer, registering a marriage in Romania may happen in 1 or more days and it really depends on the city were you make the registrations. Sometimes there are queue in line in some cities or depending on the time of the year.

On the passport matter, the only possiblity to have the passport in less then the standard time is to opt for the temporary Romanian simple passport with the valability of only 1 year, document issued only for individuals that can't wait for the biometric one in the standard procedure for personal reasons.This document is availabe in 1-2 days and is not biometric.

The other one, the standard biometric passport, with the valability of 5 years, has a standard waiting time of up to 21 days and will almost never be issued faster that 14 days after the documentation is registered.

If you are not able to receive the passport (for not beeing in Romania at that time) you can opt for a shipment within Romanian borders at any location for about 2 EUR and you have to make a power-of-attorney for a friend or family in order for them to have the legal power to receive the package. After that, your friend/family can send the document to you via a shipment agency or somethig...

DV - Entry for DV2014 : - submitted on Oct. 6, 2012 / checked on May 1, 2013 - NOT SELECTED
DV - Entry for DV2015 : - submitted on Oct. 13, 2013 / checked on May 1, 2014 - NOT SELECTED
DV - Entry for DV2016 : - submitted on Oct. 19, 2014 / waiting for results...

*** DISCLAIMER : I am not a lawyer and my answers are logical deductions from readings made online on different forums or on official websites like those of USCIS, DOS, DHS or DOL.
Please make your decisions after carefully searching for answers. Check with a lawyer whenever you feel the need. ***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.