Jelly

I-751 and tax returns

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hi all

I am due to send in 751 in December 2006 and I was just reading some info about the evidence we need to supply.

I have read in a few places that we need to supply at least 2 years tax returns.

We married in June 2004 but didnt get work authorisation until end of December so I coudnt start work until beginning of 2005...ie no tax return for 2004 for me.

This means that this year will be the first tax return that we have filed together, and the paperwork for lifting conditions would be sent in before next years returns are filed. My question is, will this be a problem as far as evidence is concerned. ( we would only have one years worth of jointly filed tax returns)? Should I mention this on the cover letter or just send in what i have?

Also. when our original AOS paperwork was sent in, we had a co sponsor ( financial). Now i am working obviosuly we no longer need this, , but do i still have to include his tax forms in our application to lift conditions , or was that just for the initial application.?

Thanks in advance for your help

jelly

:luv:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You should have filed jointly in 2004 whether you were working or not... Since you need to file your 2005 tax returns by April 15, you should have your 2005 tax returns as well.

In essence... there is no excuse for you not to have 2 years of tax returns by the time that you need to file your I-751.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline
Oh.. i was told that I didnt have to file as i had not been working?

Is there anything i can do about this now?

thanks

Jelly

:luv:

Presumably your spouse had income that year, regardless of your lack of employment authorisation? USCIS is looking to see that any tax returns are filed as married (joint or separate). The 2004 tax return that your spouse submitted to IRS should show the marital status.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

There's no legal requirement to file joint returns, but there IS a legal requirement that people who are married and who are required to file must file as married, either jointly or separately (or in some circumstances, head of household).

If you were a resident here but weren't required to file, then you probably had very little income. If that's the case, it is likely that you as a couple would have saved a significant amount of money by filing jointly instead of just one of you filing separately. When the I-751 adjudicating officer looks at this, the obvious question is, "why is it so important to this couple that they keep their tax returns separate, when they could have saved thousands by filing jointly?" While it's most definitely legal to file separately, doing so at great cost to yourselves might arouse suspicion when you try to paint a picture consistent with a bona fide married couple sharing finances.

You should have an answer ready for that obvious question. Perhaps the answer is that a joint return wouldn't have saved much (or any) money in your particular tax situation. Perhaps you didn't realize how much it would save -- if this is the case, you should consider filing an amended return and collecting the money.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Timeline
When we sent in our evidence, we only sent in one tax return and our application to remove conditions was approved 2 weeks ago. I dont think there is a requirement to send in two years worth of tax returns.

I'm not saying it's required, in fact only one year may be available if you file your I-751 early in the year ... In thier case, they should have at least 2 years of returns available...

and If your spouse filed married filing seperately, you may want to revisit that by an amended return and file jointly. You'll probably get a lot more money back...

Edited by zyggy

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Thanks for your replies

I guess I didnt explain myself properly, so apologies.

My husband and I are both now working as from start of 2005 and therefore 2005 tax returns will be filed married and jointly.. not a problem.

But 2004, neither of us ( myself because I didnt have work auth) earned enough to file taxes. ( lived off savings and parental help blah blah blah.) So, because we originally had a sponsor, would this mean that we would have to send in his tax returns for 2004 with out I-751, or should we just ignore it and send in what we will have , ie just our own for 2005.

thanks

Jelly

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You know, does it state on the I-751 form that Tax reciepts need to be filed now? I know the form I used (the older one pre-Nov 2006) didn't mention anything about that being a suggested or required form to submit. I just lucked out and had talked to my old lawyer and he mentioned that they don't state it, but they want it. Maybe the new form states you need it now.

My question is has anyone (old or new forms) recieved their CG without sending in their taxes as proof?

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline
You know, does it state on the I-751 form that Tax reciepts need to be filed now? I know the form I used (the older one pre-Nov 2006) didn't mention anything about that being a suggested or required form to submit. I just lucked out and had talked to my old lawyer and he mentioned that they don't state it, but they want it. Maybe the new form states you need it now.

My question is has anyone (old or new forms) recieved their CG without sending in their taxes as proof?

Tax returns is one of the key pieces of evidence that you need, as it shows that you declare yourself as a married couple to the government. I would be very hesistant to file an I-751 without them, indeed it may increase your chances of requiring an interview.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
uuuuuuurmmm what if u hav no tax return nd ujust started working first time??????????

This applies to people who have already been permanent residents for 2 years; it doesn't apply to the fiance petition you've been asking about.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I agree with zyggy, sending in the last year or 2 or 3 for that matter of tax return with your I-751 is a key piece of evidence confirming the couple's living together as husband and wife, although there maybe a few folks who would still need to file with married filing sperately, but stating married nonetheless is what should be done (yep, I for one don't want to give more to IRS than is required).....

so point being, send in your tax return info even if it says nothing about it.....

Amar :whistle:

"For with God nothing shall be impossible - Luke 1:37"

Details of older petition timelines are in "Our Story" section

May 28, 2009 - Filed N-400 application for Naturalization

June 08, 2009 - NOA 1 received in the mail dated June 01,2009

June 15, 2009 - Biometrics Appt Letter received for July 02, 2009

July 02, 2009 - Biometrics Done - awaiting interview letter

July 13, 2009 - Interview Letter Received for Sept 09, 2009

Sept 09, 2009 - Interview Passed - Thank you Lord Jesus !!!

Sept 17, 2009 - Oath Ceremony - COBO Hall Detroit, MI - Done, registered to vote + updated Social Security record

Sept 18, 2009 - Applied for US Passport

Oct 06, 2009 - New Social Security card received in the mail

Oct 08, 2009 - US Passport received in the mail

Oct 09, 2009 - Naturalization Certificate received in the mail

Oct 20, 2009 - Received Voter's Registration Card

Oct 20, 2009 - Our Visa Journey Completed - Thank you Lord Jesus !!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.