Usagi_tsukino

No decision after aos interview :(

13 posts in this topic

Hey. Please let me know what you guys think. Its been a month after our i-130&1-485 concurrent interview.

I came to US in 2009, overstayed my visa, met my husband in 2010, got married in 2014 (we have been dating since 2011, had pictures as the proof), applied for my green card a year after our wedding (beginning of 2015).
Interview itself went fine, the officer was really nice, didn't ask us a lot of questions, just basics - how we met (work), plus the questions from the forms, took my i-94.
We brought tons of photos from traveling and photos with our relatives and friends. I met his family bunch of times... Joint bank accounts, gym membership, plane tickets, wedding ring receipts, other jewelry receipts that he got me, i don't even remember what else we brought... no car, no house.
The officer asked if they could keep our jewelry receipts or if we need them, i asked my husband if we need them and he said that we only need one because i can take my diamond bracelet to get cleaned every 6 months, and i actually didn't even know that so i kind of showed that i was surprised and said that i should take it to get it cleaned then.
Aslo we were asked when we started going out, i said in about a year after we met, the officer asked "what happened?", i wasn't sure what to answer and got a little bit confused, so my husband said that we went to see a movie and went to a dinner and just continue going out after that. Which is true, i remember that time, but i wasn't sure what answer should i give.
Red flags: i overstayed my visa, have been working with no permission (was paying taxes all these years) and my husband has been married before and petitioned for his ex-wife's GR :(
The last one bothers me the most. I don't know if it really matters since it happened 10 years ago, but i just hate the fact that he was married before. They lived together for 5 years, then separated in 2010 (soon after he met me), however their divorce was finalized only 4 months before we got married (also me and him lived together before we got married for 2 years and we have the lease).
Officer said that for i-485 to be approved i-130 needs to be approved, but even i-130 has't been approved yet, and I'm really worried about that, is it really a big issue that he petitioned for someone else 10 years ago? Otherwise what else could be holding it? Im so tired of waiting. He has no arrests, has been working for the same company for over 10 years, we are about the same age, i am almost 30, he is a little bit older.
I have 4 friends who applied for green cards (same story as mine) within past two years and all of them received their green cards within a week after their interviews.
Officer told us to wait for 120 days, but its still frustrating because like i said i know 4 people who got green cards approved really quick in my city, so the only thing i imagine could be holding it is his previous marriage :(
So my questions are, do you think the previous marriage could be the reason why its taking some time and should we make infopass appointment to ask about our case or wait a little bit longer? How long should we wait? I don't want to seem pushy either since the officer was so nice.
I just can't believe they didn't approve us right away, because everything seemed so perfect to me, i thought we would get an instant approval.
Thank you all for your opinions.
Edited by banana_princess

Citizenship:

09/15/2020 - Filed online. Estimated completion given - July 2021 (10 months).

January 2021 - biometric reuse letter

April 2021 - interview scheduled

24/05/2021 - Interview (approved)

Passport:

July 23 - applied, expedited service

August 11 - received the passport

Aug. 16 (approximately) - received passport card

August 20 - received citizenship certificate back

Story of my almost 3 years long pending AOS - click below for details

Spoiler

• March 10 2015 - USCIS received i-130/i-485
  • March 30 2015 - got a RFE saying that my husband cannot be my sponsor because of his income, which is not true, but we didn't know what to do so we hired a lawyer.
  • August 10 2015 - interview (went great, by the way). Were told to wait 120 days.
  • December 10 2015, April 10 2016, May 10 2016 - sent SR, responses: "your case is pending"

• May 25 2016 - Went to Info Pass, the case is taken to the supervisor, were told we will get something in 30 days (of course, after 30 days we got nothing....).
  • June 27 2016 - Went to Info Pass again, they told us to wait for 2 more weeks and if we still get nothing send a service request letter by mail. Did it on the same day.
  • June 27 2016 - After Infopass, went to senator Durbin office in Chicago.
  • July 8 2016 - Went to Mike Quigley office.
  • July 8 2016 - Received useless response from Durbin. All they know is that the case is pending and it's in Chicago, can't do anything else.
  • July 12 2016: Infopass, spoke to the supervisor, promises promises.... more wait.
  • July 17 2016: Filed Ombudsman.
  • July 26 2016: Another info pass, same story. We talked to 3 supervisors already! I don't get it!
  • July 29 2016: Sent another useless SR just because.
  • Aug 9 2016: Talked to the officer we had interview with! She was supposed to mail us RFE a year ago but she forgot (!!!) ! They admitted it. Gave us RFE.
  • October 11 2016: Response to RFE is received by uscis (the RFE was ridiculous. Basically all same papers we ALREADY GAVE HER at the interview: bank statements, lease, etc).
  • October 20 2016: Infopass, useless, did not have time to wait for the supervisor.
  • November 9 2016: Infopass, talked to the supervisor, he said there are no problems with our case and he will make sure the officer will make a decision within a few days. Gave us his email and phone number, told us to contact him directly instead of going to info pass.
  • November 15 2016: emailed the supervisor, since a few days have passed and still no decision. No response.
  • November 17 2016: called the supervisor, no answer.
  • November 17 2016: sent Service Request about i-130 (Lol, like that will help..)
  • November 19 2016: sent a letter to the director of Chicago Field Office.
  • November 22 2016: sent Service Request about i-485 (Lol[2])
  • November 23 2016: talked to the supervisor again to learn that..........my medical and fingerprints have expired and i need to wait for a notice to do it all again.
  • November 25 2016: The response from the Field Office Director Martha Medina-Maltes: your case is pending and every effort is being made blah blah blah
  • December 5 2016: Received a response to i-485 SR that my case is "pending supervisor review"... absolutely random since the supervisor said i'll need redo my medical and fingerprints again.
  • December 19 2016: Went to USCIS, the officer came out and told me we need to come back for a 2nd interview!!! I'm shocked because our marriage is 100% real and i can't believe they have doubts about it! But i'm glad that it's at least something.
  • December 27: 2nd interview (Strokes). Reason: i-130 petition. We did fine but the officer said we will receive a NOID! Our lawyer said it must be something else, not our answers... but what?!

• Jan 23 - infopass, asked if anything was mailed regarding i-130. Were told that nothing was.
  • Jan 27 - sent a service request regarding I-130.
  • March 1 2017 - went to uscis (no info pass), our officer's supervisor finally gave us the noid full of nitpicking and lies, that shows that they do not pay attention to anything. 
  • March 10 2017 - 2 years AOS anniversary...wow. 
  • March 31 - The response to the noid is received by uscis!
  • June 1st - went to the office, the supervisor promised we will get the decision in 4-6 weeks.
  • July 19 - 7 weeks passed, went back to uscis. The supervisor said he will give the case to the officer tomorrow, we asked when we will get the decision, he said he doesn't know. 
  • September 6: My husband talked to the supervisor again, he said he gave the case to the other officer, and the case is huge so the officer has a lot to do, and we will get a decision in 2 weeks. 
  • September 25: Went back since no decision was received (as expected). The supervisor said the same thing: we will get a decision in 2 weeks
  • September 29: USCIS asked for medical! Eureka! First time in 2 and a half years they sent something by themselves! :wacko: i-130 still not approved.
  • October 2: Notice that i-130 is approved (notice date September 26, still no online update). Also went to get medical done (should be ready by the end of the week)
  • October 3:  biometrics
  • October 10: medical delivered to uscis! The waiting games begins again :wacko:
  • December 11: 2 months after medical was delivered talked to the supervisor again, he said the decision will be made BY tomorrow and we will find out from the website on Wednesday. 
  • December 14: Called uscis, tier 2 officer told me that the case is approved.
  • December 18: Received Approval notice (Dated December 12)

Long story short:
After the initial interview we received:

1) a RFE asking for the same papers again,

2) then were asked to come to the 2nd interview that went fine of course, 

3) then a NOID that was full of mistakes.

All that was given to us in person, only when we made our way straight to our officer. And still waiting. Lots of fun (not).

4) 6 months after receiving our response to the noid i-130 is approved. 2 years 6 months and 16 days of waiting for i-130. Supposed to take 5 months. No words.

5) After 2 years 9 months and 2 days (or 1008 days) of waiting i-485 is approved.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from AOS/Family-Based main forum to the "AOS from WS&T Visas" Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think that an info pass would help you at this point. I would wait as hard as it seems the 120 days. You sound like you've got some solid proofs.

Ovsrstay isn't a red flag. Illegal work isn't either providing you've admitted to it and paid your taxes on it, if not you need to get on that ASAP. His ex wife could be something that they're checking into. Not everyone gets instant approval so just sit tight for now.

I don't think that an info pass would help you at this point. I would wait as hard as it seems the 120 days. You sound like you've got some solid proofs.

Ovsrstay isn't a red flag. Illegal work isn't either providing you've admitted to it and paid your taxes on it, if not you need to get on that ASAP. His ex wife could be something that they're checking into. Not everyone gets instant approval so just sit tight for now.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Ugh i'll go crazy if we won't get any news in 120 days....

Citizenship:

Passport:

Spoiler

• March 30 2015 - got a RFE saying that my husband cannot be my sponsor because of his income, which is not true, but we didn't know what to do so we hired a lawyer.
  • August 10 2015 - interview (went great, by the way). Were told to wait 120 days.
  • December 10 2015, April 10 2016, May 10 2016 - sent SR, responses: "your case is pending"

• May 25 2016 - Went to Info Pass, the case is taken to the supervisor, were told we will get something in 30 days (of course, after 30 days we got nothing....).
  • June 27 2016 - Went to Info Pass again, they told us to wait for 2 more weeks and if we still get nothing send a service request letter by mail. Did it on the same day.
  • July 8 2016 - Received useless response from Durbin. All they know is that the case is pending and it's in Chicago, can't do anything else.
  • July 12 2016: Infopass, spoke to the supervisor, promises promises.... more wait.
  • July 26 2016: Another info pass, same story. We talked to 3 supervisors already! I don't get it!
  • Aug 9 2016: Talked to the officer we had interview with! She was supposed to mail us RFE a year ago but she forgot (!!!) ! They admitted it. Gave us RFE.
  • October 11 2016: Response to RFE is received by uscis (the RFE was ridiculous. Basically all same papers we ALREADY GAVE HER at the interview: bank statements, lease, etc).
  • October 20 2016: Infopass, useless, did not have time to wait for the supervisor.
  • November 9 2016: Infopass, talked to the supervisor, he said there are no problems with our case and he will make sure the officer will make a decision within a few days. Gave us his email and phone number, told us to contact him directly instead of going to info pass.
  • November 15 2016: emailed the supervisor, since a few days have passed and still no decision. No response.
  • November 17 2016: sent Service Request about i-130 (Lol, like that will help..)
  • November 23 2016: talked to the supervisor again to learn that..........my medical and fingerprints have expired and i need to wait for a notice to do it all again.
  • November 25 2016: The response from the Field Office Director Martha Medina-Maltes: your case is pending and every effort is being made blah blah blah
  • December 5 2016: Received a response to i-485 SR that my case is "pending supervisor review"... absolutely random since the supervisor said i'll need redo my medical and fingerprints again.
  • December 19 2016: Went to USCIS, the officer came out and told me we need to come back for a 2nd interview!!! I'm shocked because our marriage is 100% real and i can't believe they have doubts about it! But i'm glad that it's at least something.
  • December 27: 2nd interview (Strokes). Reason: i-130 petition. We did fine but the officer said we will receive a NOID! Our lawyer said it must be something else, not our answers... but what?!

• Jan 23 - infopass, asked if anything was mailed regarding i-130. Were told that nothing was.
  • March 1 2017 - went to uscis (no info pass), our officer's supervisor finally gave us the noid full of nitpicking and lies, that shows that they do not pay attention to anything. 
  • June 1st - went to the office, the supervisor promised we will get the decision in 4-6 weeks.
  • July 19 - 7 weeks passed, went back to uscis. The supervisor said he will give the case to the officer tomorrow, we asked when we will get the decision, he said he doesn't know. 
  • September 6: My husband talked to the supervisor again, he said he gave the case to the other officer, and the case is huge so the officer has a lot to do, and we will get a decision in 2 weeks. 
  • September 25: Went back since no decision was received (as expected). The supervisor said the same thing: we will get a decision in 2 weeks
  • September 29: USCIS asked for medical! Eureka! First time in 2 and a half years they sent something by themselves! :wacko: i-130 still not approved.
  • October 2: Notice that i-130 is approved (notice date September 26, still no online update). Also went to get medical done (should be ready by the end of the week)
  • October 10: medical delivered to uscis! The waiting games begins again :wacko:
  • December 11: 2 months after medical was delivered talked to the supervisor again, he said the decision will be made BY tomorrow and we will find out from the website on Wednesday. 

Long story short:

All that was given to us in person, only when we made our way straight to our officer. And still waiting. Lots of fun (not).

4) 6 months after receiving our response to the noid i-130 is approved. 2 years 6 months and 16 days of waiting for i-130. Supposed to take 5 months. No words.

5) After 2 years 9 months and 2 days (or 1008 days) of waiting i-485 is approved.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Don't be too hard on yourself your interview isn't out of the ordinary. Many never get approved instantly and cases are often reviewed by officers after interview. As long as your interview was good, you'll be approved it's just a waiting game now. We have people here who were even approved on the spot verbally only to wait months for status to change to card production before receiving green cards. If 120 days have passed post interview, schedule an info pass.

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Don't be too hard on yourself your interview isn't out of the ordinary. Many never get approved instantly and cases are often reviewed by officers after interview. As long as your interview was good, you'll be approved it's just a waiting game now. We have people here who were even approved on the spot verbally only to wait months for status to change to card production before receiving green cards. If 120 days have passed post interview, schedule an info pass.

That's true, you are right. Thank you, you made me feel better. however I tried to google "I-130 not approved after the interview" and I got a bunch of links with titles like "I-130 approved, I-485 not", so it makes me think that most of them are only waiting for I-485 to get approved, you know what I mean?

Citizenship:

Passport:

Spoiler

Long story short:

Timeline

Ya, it's pretty common. The I-485 is the real bread and butter here and once it gets approved it triggers the I-130 approval also unlike I-130 which which could be a stand alone approval pending I-485. Sometimes it can take days, a week, weeks or even a couple of months post interview for I-485 to be approved after which your status changes to "card production" hence completing your adjustment of status. Good luck!

Removal of Conditions: 

Naturalization:

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

Ya, it's pretty common. The I-485 is the real bread and butter here and once it gets approved it triggers the I-130 approval also unlike I-130 which which could be a stand alone approval pending I-485. Sometimes it can take days, a week, weeks or even a couple of months post interview for I-485 to be approved after which your status changes to "card production" hence completing your adjustment of status. Good luck!

Thank you! Do you also think we should wait 120 days before taking any actions?

The officer said that first they need to approve i-130 and this is my biggest concern, since its not approved yet... after that they look at i-485.

Seems like most of the people get i-130 approved pretty quick and then just waiting for i-485...

Citizenship:

Passport:

Spoiler

Long story short:

Also, i keep thinking what if they sent us RFE of some sort and we didn't receive the letter for some reason, and the online status just didn't update, since i heard they are not always updating them immediately? Is that possible? The officer said that if they need us to send them additional evidences we will have 87 days to do that.

Citizenship:

Passport:

Spoiler

Long story short:

Timeline

You can call and inquire about a pending immigration benefit anytime but in this case your calls can't really produce a "push" effect because lawfully USCIS is given a 120 day timeline post interview to review and adjudicate it with a decision. You'll most likely be told to wait that they're reviewing. It's after that which you now have leverage and can use a congressman to intervene or even take other strong measures to force a decision. It wouldn't hurt to call once in a while though to keep you posted. If your address which you received you interview letter is still current you shouldn't worry about not getting an RFE if sent provided you updated it online or by mail with USCIS if you'd moved. In any case if you call they'll be happy to let you know if they ever sent you one if that makes you feel better. Don't worry too much about the I-130 being approved first or not. I-130's from adjustment applicants normally stay dormant until after interview as it's a combo package and approval comes with I-485 approval, unlike stand alone I-130's mailed independently which get approved after about 5 months. Your whole file is probably just sitting to be reviewed as most interview officers check with supervisors after interviews for a reviews before approval. It's just a waiting game as to when they'll do it before which your status will change to card production and you'll get flooded with notifications.

Also, i keep thinking what if they sent us RFE of some sort and we didn't receive the letter for some reason, and the online status just didn't update, since i heard they are not always updating them immediately? Is that possible? The officer said that if they need us to send them additional evidences we will have 87 days to do that.

Removal of Conditions: 

Naturalization:

You can call and inquire about a pending immigration benefit anytime but in this case your calls can't really produce a "push" effect because lawfully USCIS is given a 120 day timeline post interview to review and adjudicate it with a decision. You'll most likely be told to wait that they're reviewing. It's after that which you now have leverage and can use a congressman to intervene or even take other strong measures to force a decision. It wouldn't hurt to call once in a while though to keep you posted. If your address which you received you interview letter is still current you shouldn't worry about not getting an RFE if sent provided you updated it online or by mail with USCIS if you'd moved. In any case if you call they'll be happy to let you know if they ever sent you one if that makes you feel better. Don't worry too much about the I-130 being approved first or not. I-130's from adjustment applicants normally stay dormant until after interview as it's a combo package and approval comes with I-485 approval, unlike stand alone I-130's mailed independently which get approved after about 5 months. Your whole file is probably just sitting to be reviewed as most interview officers check with supervisors after interviews for a reviews before approval. It's just a waiting game as to when they'll do it before which your status will change to card production and you'll get flooded with notifications.

Thank you very much, your opinion and support really matters and makes me feel better! I might call i and ask just in case if they have any undelivered mail from my address though.

Citizenship:

Passport:

Spoiler

Long story short:

• 1 year later...

Did you get approved yet?

12/18/2015: Got married to the love of my life (L)(L)(L)

07/26/2016 Mailed I-130,I-485 & I-765

07/27/2016 Delivered at Chicago Lock Box with signature confirmation

08/04/2016 Both checks are cashed

08/09/2016 Received NOA1 via text for I-130 & I-485

08/11/2016 Received NOA1 hard copy via mail for I-130 & I-485 (I-765 is rejected, forgot to sign)

08/12/2016 Mailed I-765

08/13/2016 Delivered at Chicago Lock Box

08/15/2016 Picked up at the Chicago Lock Box with signature confirmation

08/05/2016 Received NOA1 hard copy via mail for I-765

08/19/2016 Received Biometrics Appointment letter (2pm at Bellflower location)

08/24/2016 Successful early walk-in for Biometrics Appointment at Bellflower location.

09/09/2016 I-765 receipt number is working online

09/12/2016 I-130 receipt number still not working, I-485 worked for the first time and says "Ready to schedule for Interview

10/03/2016: I-485 is scheduled for interview on November 3, 2016

10/28/2016: EAD card being produced

11/03/2016: We had out interview in Los Angeles CA. Our IO said they don't normally approve on the spot anymore and she gave us a paper saying "your case is being held for interview". The IO also said she is new, therefore she need to talk to her supervisor. Additionally she showed us a pile of cases that is being held for review, so it looks like it will take a while to get an answer about our case.

11/07/2016: EAD card was mailed to me

11/09/2016: EAD card received. Applied for SSN, needs verification will take up to 4 weeks.

11/10/2016: went back to SSA office with my unexpired passport, got verified right away.

11/10/2016: SSN card received

12/28/2016: I-485 status updated to "New Card Being Produced",later in the day updated to "Case was approved"; I-130 status updated to "Case approved"

(1 month, 3 weeks & 4 days after the interview) & (5 months & 2 days after filing AOS)

1/03/2016: Receive I-797 approval letter for I-130 & I-485; status updated to "New Card Being Produced"

1/04/2016: Welcome letter received; status updated to "Card was Mailed"

1/06/2017: 2 year green card received :D

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get approved yet?

Nope.. :( Details are in my signature..

Citizenship:

Passport:

Spoiler

Long story short:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.