24 posts in this topic

Came here on a k1 vida back in 2005. Been married since then. Have had ten year greencard without conditions since 2008.

She walked out on me over two months ago and is now filing for divorce.

My question is simple. Will I be able to stay in the country ? Will I be able to apply for renewal without issues?

I have established a life here and it would be hard to walk away from it.

Thanks in advance

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

You have been married to her for about 10 years and im just wondering why didn't you apply for citizenship after 3 years of marriage to a U.S citizen?

USCIS

24 July 2014 - Marriage :wub:

18 August 2014 - I130 sent
19 August 2014- PRIORITY DATE
20 August 2014 - I130 NOA1
:clock:
24 March 2015 - Case was transferred from VSC to CSC :huh:
18 May 2015 - I130 approved NOA2 (271 days )

NVC

17 June 2015- NVC received

17 June 2015- DS261, AOS BILL, IV BILL received

Website down :ranting::protest:
22 June 2015 - AOS BILL, IV BILL paid by mail
22 June 2015 - DS261 submitted by mail
05 July 2015 - WEBSITE BACK ON :dance:
05 July 2015 - DS260 completed
11 July 2015 - AOS & IV package sent
13 July 2015- AOS & IV package received
28 July 2015- Case Complete :D:dance:

19 August 2015 - Mailed & emailed upgrade from F2A to CR1 :thumbs:
27 August 2015- Received email stating that our embassy does not participate in NVC'S electronic processing program therefore we should submit forms through mail (which we had already) :cry:
02 September 2015 - Spoke to supervisor Silvia about our upgrade, found out whoever reply to our email was wrong and she was going to take a look at our case :rolleyes:

09 September 2015 - Confirmed upgrade F2a to CR1 through the phone with Supervisor Silvia (she's an angel) :D
Waiting for Interview date for Naples, Italy :clock:

11 September 2015 - Interview date scheduled for 28th October 2015 :D
14 September 2015 - Received P4 letter email ( interview letter) :dancing:

20 September 2015 - CEAC status changed to IN TRANSIT :thumbs:

21 September 2015 - CEAC status change to READY

NAPLES EMBASSY

27th October 2015 - Medical exam

28th October 2015 - interview (approved!!!) :D :dance:

waiting for news about passport and visa :clock:

4th November - CEAC status changed to ISSUED

5th November - VISA in hand ... yesssss finally! #blessed

8th November - POE MIAMI (the whole process took about 45mn)

19th November - Received SSN by mail ( I had applied for it when asked if i wanted to be issued a SSN in the DS260)

23rd December- Received GC by mail (it took about 45 days from POE) finally :dancing:

Citizenship was never an interest to me. Over the past year I have found great opportunities in this country that I might not be able to get back home in the uk. I managed to establish a career working my way up the food chain which would be very hard to walk away from.

Timeline

Well your disinterest has gotten you here and when applying for citizenship you dont lose anything actually you only gain and you wouldn't have had to give up your U.K citizenship either.

Anyways even if she files for divorce Im sure you will have proof that you entered the marriage in good faith, you will be able to either renew your GC or apply for citizenship, i suggest you actually apply for citizenship as it will only benefit you and any children that you might have in the future.

USCIS

NVC

27 August 2015- Received email stating that our embassy does not participate in NVC'S electronic processing program therefore we should submit forms through mail (which we had already) :cry:
02 September 2015 - Spoke to supervisor Silvia about our upgrade, found out whoever reply to our email was wrong and she was going to take a look at our case :rolleyes:

09 September 2015 - Confirmed upgrade F2a to CR1 through the phone with Supervisor Silvia (she's an angel) :D

NAPLES EMBASSY

19th November - Received SSN by mail ( I had applied for it when asked if i wanted to be issued a SSN in the DS260)

23rd December- Received GC by mail (it took about 45 days from POE) finally :dancing:

Well your disinterest has gotten you here and when applying for citizenship you dont lose anything actually you only gain and you wouldn't have had to give up your U.K citizenship either.

Anyways even if she files for divorce Im sure you will have proof that you entered the marriage in good faith, you will be able to either renew your GC or apply for citizenship, i suggest you actually apply for citizenship as it will only benefit you and any children that you might have in the future.

Why would he need to prove a marriage in good faith?

Why does he need citizenship to continue living his life?

I totally agree with Boston~Montreal.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

ChrisNina27 is completely wrong.

OP can continue to be an LPR until he dies. He does not lose his status or anything else related to immigration in a divorce because he has an unconditional green card. He just needs to renew it.

He does not need to prove he entered the marriage in good faith. That requirement passed in 2008 when he got the conditions removed from his green card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Agreed, what aaron2020 and Boston-Montreal said. You have nothing to worry about. You can apply for a renewal card every 10 years. Your immigration status is no longer linked to your former spouse, your marriage or your marital status period.

There is no need to apply for citizenship in order to stay in the US, if that's not what you want to do.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Everyone needs to calm down count to three and breathe...

I made a mistake not realizing he doesn't need to prove anything since he obviously already has an unconditional GC, however if YOU READ,,,i said he can RENEW his GC or APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP then I gave him my suggestion to apply for citizenship since he has found an opportunity and it seems he has established his life here , Im not going to write here how applying for citizenship could benefit him... the decision is only his,,, so all of you CALM DOWN

USCIS

NVC

NAPLES EMBASSY

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Came here on a k1 vida back in 2005. Been married since then. Have had ten year greencard without conditions since 2008.

She walked out on me over two months ago and is now filing for divorce.

My question is simple.

1. Will I be able to stay in the country ?

2. Will I be able to apply for renewal without issues?

I have established a life here and it would be hard to walk away from it.

Thanks in advance

1. Yes.

2. Yes

alternatively, you could apply for USCitizenship now, as I think your 'permanent resident' clock started in 2006. All greencard holders are eligible after 5 years inside of the USA, regardless of marital status.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just wondering, but most people count down the days until they can file for citizenship.

I really did not understand your reason for not applying for citizenship.

If you had, you would have no issue with immigration now that your wife wants a divorce.

Maybe it was something about your job situation, but just wondering how that would effect your job. Just curious.

Your immigration status is not linked directly to the marriage anymore since you're not conditional and your marriage was bona fide, you are a 10 Yrs green card holder whether you want to file for citizenship or not well that's your choice, but you will be fine just remember to renew your green card before it expires, divorce won't affect your status.

Edited by Ralphtave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Just wondering, but most people count down the days until they can file for citizenship.

I really did not understand your reason for not applying for citizenship.

If you had, you would have no issue with immigration now that your wife wants a divorce.

Maybe it was something about your job situation, but just wondering how that would effect your job. Just curious.

He doesn't have any immigration issues because of his divorce. He already has his 10 year greencard.

Edited by nane1104

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.