Elvis&Sky

K-1 Visa process

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hello all,

I have a few questions about the visa process to help ease my nerves. A little bit about myself; I am 21, and my boyfriend is 23, I met him online in May, I'm the US citizen, and he's from Venezuela. We will meet face-to-face this coming December, and we plan to start the visa process early next year.

My first question is about the affidavit of support. I am currently a full-time college student and I use the G.I. Bill benefits, so I receive a little over 1,000 dollars a month. I also don't have a job right now, but I do plan on getting one after the new year. Will I have time before the interview to find a job and have a bit of income for an employer letter, or do I need one before filing for the visa? Am I able to include my income from the G.I. Bill on the affidavit? Also, I plan on asking my mother to be a joint sponsor, and she is retired from the US Navy, so she receives Veterans benefits. Will she be able to use her award letter as proof of income? And do I need to include a copy of her birth certificate to show U.S. Citizenship?

For evidence of our relationship, I have saved the receipts from the letters I've sent him, our plane tickets from our visit, and I will also print out our Facebook chat logs. What type of chats should I include in the packet, and how many pages is acceptable?

And my last question is I've read conflicting information about what type of tax documents I should have. Should I send my last 2 paycheck stubs or three years of tax returns?

Our AOS Journey:

09/02/2016- Sent AOS Paperwork to Chicago lockbox (I-485, I-765, I-131)

09/05/2016- Paperwork received by Chicago lockbox

09/08/2016- NOA1 Texts Received

09/10/2016- NOA1s received in the mail

09/24/2016- Received biometrics letter in the mail for October 3, 2016

09/30/2016- Biometrics completed (walk-in, Tukwila)

10/01/2016- Notice of Request for Initial Evidence via text (I-485)

10/06/2016- Received RFIE in the Mail for I-864, Sent back response

10/12/2016- RFIE Received by USCIS

10/25-26/2016- Approval and Card Being Produced for EAD/AP

11/04/2016- Case Status changed to 'Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview'

11/07/2016- Case Status changed to ' Card was Mailed To Me'

11/10/2016- EAD/AP Card Received in Hand

03/16/2017- AOS Interview!!

Also, I plan on asking my mother to be a joint sponsor, and she is retired from the US Navy, so she receives Veterans benefits. Will she be able to use her award letter as proof of income? And do I need to include a copy of her birth certificate to show U.S. Citizenship? If you don't meet the poverty guidelines whoever is your sponsor will have to, you will not be able to combine incomes. If you have a joint sponsor who meets poverty guidelines you do not have to worry about finding a job.

For evidence of our relationship, I have saved the receipts from the letters I've sent him, our plane tickets from our visit, and I will also print out our Facebook chat logs. What type of chats should I include in the packet, and how many pages is acceptable? Whats important is that you have proof that you've met in person prior to the petition and that you two are free to marry, you don't have to worry about submit so much evidence of the relationship. When I petitioned my then fiancee I sent 3 photos of us together and the rest were boarding passes and passports stamps to prove that I had traveled to meet in person.

And my last question is I've read conflicting information about what type of tax documents I should have. Should I send my last 2 paycheck stubs or three years of tax returns? Include any documentation that proves your income.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.