LassuaO

changing last name (husband - two last names)

3 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi everybody!

My husband and I got married 6 days ago and we are so happy and excited! we have been dated for the last three years. I came to the US with a F1 VISA and unfortunately I overstayed my visa, because I wanted to stay with him and vice-versa. My husband became a US Citizen and he has two last names FirstN FatherLN MotherLN. I want to take his FatherLN, and I'll drop both of my last names.

We live in Florida, and I have read that the DMV makes it impossible to change, since in the marriage certificate my husband has his two last names. I don't want to take both!

names in the marriage certificate:

my name: MARIA LOPEZ DIAZ

husband: JOSE PEREZ GOMEZ

1. We haven't filled I 130 etc.... we are waiting for the marriage certificate to come by mail. But, should I put my desired married name in the forms? (MARIA PEREZ) I don't want to be MARIA PEREZ GOMEZ.

2. I overstayed my F1 visa (5 months and counting), I don't work and I don't drive. in fact I don't even have a drivers license. Since it is going to be my first time getting one, do you think they will make me take my husbands two last names? (will I need to show my marriage certificate, or should I wait to get the green card and social card with my new last name.)

I appreciate your help!

Edited by mafelasu

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hopefully someone gives you the right answer!

My husband (from Mexico) has two last names and i just want his first last name.

USCIS CR-1/IR-1:
Aug 08/20/2015: Mailed I-130 (Phoenix Lockbox)
Aug 08/24/2015: NOA 1 (Nebraska)
Dec 12/08/2015: NOA 2 (Nebraska)
Dec 12/09/2015: Sent to NVC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------TOTAL DAYS IN USCIS: 107
NVC STAGE
Dec 12/11/2015: Case received at NVC
Dec 12/28/2015: Case # and Invoice number received
Dec 12/28/2015: Paid AOS Fee
Dec 12/28/2015: Completed DS-261 Choice of Agent
Dec 12/31/2015: NVC Welcome letter received by snail mail
Jan 01/06/2016: Reviewed DS-261 over the phone
Jan 01/07/2016: Choice of agent email + IV fee bill invoiced
Jan 01/07/2016: IV fee Paid
Jan 01/12/2016: AOS + IV packet sent
Jan 01/13/2016: AOS + IV packet received
Jan 01/13/2016: DS-260 Completed
Jan 01/13/2016: Scan Date
Feb 02/02/2016: Checklist :'(
Feb 02/04/2016 NEW scan date
Feb 02/10/2016 CASE COMPLETED!!!
Feb 02/16/2016 Case left NVC to Consulate (In Transit)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------TOTAL DAYS IN NVC: 67 days
Feb 02/18/16 Case shows READY
Feb 02/19/16 Case on file at consulate (Juarez)
Feb 02/2/16 Interview date scheduled for 3/29
Feb 02/8/16 Interview letter notification received
CONSULATE - CUIDAD JUAREZ, MEXICO
Mar 03/25/16 Medical Exam
Mar 03/28/16 Biometrics
Mar 03/29/16 INTERVIEW
*******APPROVED!!!*******
TOTAL TIME FROM SUBMISSION TO INTERVIEW APPROVAL

222 days from the start date to the end date
7 months and 9 days

VISA

3/31/16 Sent to DHL specific location

4/01/16 Visa received at DHL location - VISA ON HAND -

4/08/16 UNITED STATES ENTRY

TOTAL TIME FROM SUBMISSION TO US ENTRY

232 days from the start date to the end date
7 months and 19 days

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.