omegaman

Confused about CRBA appointment system Manila

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello:

I am spinning a bit on the website ( http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/citizenship.html) and am asking for guidance. I am American living in the US and my wife of two years is Philippina living in the Philippines (Tarlac Province). We have a 14 month old son who we are looking to establish US citizenship for.

I was under the impression I needed to send the docs listed on the Checklist for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad to the US embassy before I leave for the Philippines next week and pray they email me for an appointment during the upcoming 28 days I will be in the Philippines. I just read in another thread here that if I am a US citizen, I can just walk into the embassy with everything in the check list, my wife, and son and wait to see an official.

I quote:

"Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:39 PM

you can file a CRBA application at US Embassy Manila - as a USCitizen, you not need an appointment.

http://manila.usemba...itizenship.html

it mentions an appointment there, but as a USCitizen, you can walk in with the paperwork."

Which is correct? Do I need to mail in and make an appointment and wait for an email response or "walk-in" fully equipped? That said, there seems to be an appointment calendar but everything is grey signifying there is nothing available for over a year in the future. I hope I did not confuse anyone. Please help me clear this up. I thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello:

I am spinning a bit on the website ( http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/citizenship.html) and am asking for guidance. I am American living in the US and my wife of two years is Philippina living in the Philippines (Tarlac Province). We have a 14 month old son who we are looking to establish US citizenship for.

I was under the impression I needed to send the docs listed on the Checklist for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad to the US embassy before I leave for the Philippines next week and pray they email me for an appointment during the upcoming 28 days I will be in the Philippines. I just read in another thread here that if I am a US citizen, I can just walk into the embassy with everything in the check list, my wife, and son and wait to see an official.

I quote:

"Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:39 PM

you can file a CRBA application at US Embassy Manila - as a USCitizen, you not need an appointment.

http://manila.usemba...itizenship.html

it mentions an appointment there, but as a USCitizen, you can walk in with the paperwork."

Which is correct? Do I need to mail in and make an appointment and wait for an email response or "walk-in" fully equipped? That said, there seems to be an appointment calendar but everything is grey signifying there is nothing available for over a year in the future. I hope I did not confuse anyone. Please help me clear this up. I thank you in advance.

Have you tried emailing them? I will be filing a CRBA in Indonesia next month. I had a few questions myself so I emailed them and they were very responsive and informative.

I know every country is different but thought I would throw it out there in case you hadn't emailed them.

Have you tried emailing them? I will be filing a CRBA in Indonesia next month. I had a few questions myself so I emailed them and they were very responsive and informative.

I know every country is different but thought I would throw it out there in case you hadn't emailed them.

Yes, I just did. I expect someone here knows the answer to this query. Thanks and good luck too. I emailed to ACSInfoManila@state.gov

Here is the fast reply I got via email:

In order for any person below the age of 18 born overseas to a U.S. citizen parent or parents to be documented as a U.S. citizen and be issued an American passport, that person’s parent(s) must first apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). CRBA application approval will depend on the parent’s(s’) ability to prove that the various requirements for registering as a U.S. citizen have been satisfactorily met during an interview with a U.S. Consular officer.
All appointments for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and Adult Derivative Citizenship applications at U.S. Embassy Manila are made through a mail-in appointment scheduling system. We do not accept walk-in applications.
To request a citizenship appointment and download the CRBA checklist, kindly visit our website at http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/citizenship/first-time-report-of-birth-abroad7.html
Once your packet is received in ACS, our staff will e-mail you the date and time of your citizenship appointment and, if needed, a list of items you are missing.
Please note that the child/applicant must be present at the interview. Both parents are strongly encouraged to accompany the child.
Should you require further assistance, you can contact the Citizenship Unit at (63)(2) 301-2000 extension 2532, between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. (Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays except Philippine and U.S. holidays).
We trust that you will find the above information helpful.
Sincerely,
Citizenship & Passport Unit
American Citizen Services
US Embassy Manila
Privacy/PII
This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and fiance will be applying for crba next month and we are already gathering all the douments needed.my friend just had the crba for her friend and now guiding me with the process so she told me to mail everything with the adress she sent to me and the embassy will mail you for the time and date of the appointment.

I am not sure if you could do walk in there without the appointment date regarding the application for crba.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm from tarlac too. I also applied for my daughter's CRBA before. We had to make an appointment at the embassy. I think you can check their calender and from there, you can see what dates are still available. Good luck:)

Hi Omegaman,

Just want to check with you the timeline of your CRBA application:

1) Date when you sent the packet to ACS to schedule appt

2) Date when you received a reply via mail with appointment date and time

3) Date of Appointment

4) Date when your received CRBA

5) Date when you received passport if you have applied for one

Thanks and regards,

Liz.

Here is the fast reply I got via email:

In order for any person below the age of 18 born overseas to a U.S. citizen parent or parents to be documented as a U.S. citizen and be issued an American passport, that person’s parent(s) must first apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). CRBA application approval will depend on the parent’s(s’) ability to prove that the various requirements for registering as a U.S. citizen have been satisfactorily met during an interview with a U.S. Consular officer.
All appointments for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and Adult Derivative Citizenship applications at U.S. Embassy Manila are made through a mail-in appointment scheduling system. We do not accept walk-in applications.
To request a citizenship appointment and download the CRBA checklist, kindly visit our website at http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/citizenship/first-time-report-of-birth-abroad7.html
Once your packet is received in ACS, our staff will e-mail you the date and time of your citizenship appointment and, if needed, a list of items you are missing.
Please note that the child/applicant must be present at the interview. Both parents are strongly encouraged to accompany the child.
Should you require further assistance, you can contact the Citizenship Unit at (63)(2) 301-2000 extension 2532, between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. (Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays except Philippine and U.S. holidays).
We trust that you will find the above information helpful.
Sincerely,
Citizenship & Passport Unit
American Citizen Services
US Embassy Manila
Privacy/PII
This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

TIMELINE

1-May-2014 Met at The Northface100 Philippines Ultra Marathon

19-June-2014 Started dating (L)

8-Dec-2014 Got Married (L) (L)

28-Dec-2015 CRBA Interview for our Twin Daughters

18-Jan-2016 Received CRBA and US passports of our Twin daughters :dancing:

===============Filed DCF at USCIS Manila==============

5-Feb-2016 Filed I-130

12-Feb-2016 Approved I-130 with MNL case numbers for me and my son received via email

17-Feb-2016 Medical at SLEC - Positive TB skin test for my son, went for X-ray - negative - medical packet will be sent directly to US Embassy

3-Mar-2016 Scheduled Interview -- got the dreaded 221g request for additional documents (I-864 and proof of domicile)

9-Mar-2016 Sent 221g documents via 2go

11-Mar-2016 Embassy received 221g documents

14-Mar-2016 status update at ceac - AP

15-Mar-2016 status update at ceac - AP
18-Mar-2016 Status update at ceac - Ready

21-Mar-2016 Status update at ceac - Issued! :dancing:

27-Mar-2016 Immigrant Visa - CR1/CR2 Pickup Date

29-May-2016 POE - New York City (JFK)

===============Filed I-751 Removal of Conditions============

21-March-2018 - Filed I-751 - Vermont Service Center

23-March-2018 - USCIS Received package

29-March-2018 - Check Cashed

30-March-2018 - NOA1 Received (1 year extension)

13-May-2018 - Biometrics Appointment Received

23-May-2018 - Biometrics Appointment

13-August-2018 - Received 18 months extension

5-March 2019 - Moved to New Jurisdiction (Texas)

28-June 2019 - I-751 Approval

12-July-2019 - Received Green Card

==============Filed N-400=========================

13-July-2019 - Applied for N-400 online

16-July-2019 - Received Biometrics Appointment

30-July-2019 - Biometrics Appointment

25-Nov-2019 - N400 Interview

09-Jan-2020 - Oath Taking

• 1 year later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

This CRBA process is confusing to say the least! My fiance is pregnant and will be giving birth to our son very soon. We got confirmation a couple of weeks ago from USCIS that her application had been approved and forwarded to the National Visa Center. The Manila embassy says we have to mail-in an application just to get an appointment(very efficient!) but only to include copies. Does that mean copies of literally everything on the checklist including passport photos and the NSO which takes months to get???

I need some help as my wife will be mailing the CRBA paperwork to Manila soon. We are waiting for the NSO birth certificate which is needed which we will have on Nov. 18th.

I want to go to be with my wife and newborn son (who I have not yet seen in person) but I need to know:

1. How long after the CRBA paperwork is submitted does it take for them to give you an appointment schedule?

2. Typically when they give you an appointment how many weeks is it from the time you get the notice?

I'm asking because I don't want to burn my vacation time just waiting with my wife in Philippines not knowing how long CRBA appointment time and processing may take.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

K1 timeline :

1/11/10 - I-129F sent to California Service Center

1/19/10 - NOA1

2/18/10 - moved and changed address on USCIS site

2/19/10 - touched

3/10/10 - touched

3/10/10 - NOA2, hardcopy recieved 3/12

3/16/10 - Left NVC, recieved MNL case #

3/22/10 - USEM recieved

4/19/10 - Passed Medical

4/28/10 - Interview - Approved

4/30/10 - Picked up Visa and completed CFO

5/5/10 - POE - Honolulu, Hawaii

5/6/10 - married in Hawaii

AOS timeline:

7/8/10 - received SSN Card

7/16/10 - reported US marriage for RP records

10/18/10 - AOS delivered in Chicago

10/25/10 - NOA1

11/04/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

11/23/10 - Biometrics Completed

11/24/10 - touched

11/26/10 - touched

02/14/11 - AOS approved at Interview, GC ordered

02/22/11 - GC arrives in mail

ROC Timeline:

12/17/12 - I-751 sent to California Service Center

12/20/12 - NOA1 arrives in mail

1/14/13 - Biometrics appointment

4/11/13 - RC Approved at Interview

4/22/13 - 10 Year Green Card arrived in mail

event.png

Always Thankful for God's blessings on our lives..

• 1 month later...

This CRBA process is confusing to say the least! My fiance is pregnant and will be giving birth to our son very soon. We got confirmation a couple of weeks ago from USCIS that her application had been approved and forwarded to the National Visa Center. The Manila embassy says we have to mail-in an application just to get an appointment(very efficient!) but only to include copies. Does that mean copies of literally everything on the checklist including passport photos and the NSO which takes months to get???

Hey I have a question in regards to making the appointment with the birth of the child yet.

I looked over the checklist and it asks for photo of the baby, but we have everything else (US passport, PI passport of mother, NSO marriage cert, residence of the U.S, pre-natal record)

We met when I went to med school in Cebu, we got married and had conceived a baby in our honeymoon then I went back to the U.S for a few months now, started her spousal visa petition as well.

But, shes gonna be having the baby in Philippines (because its a lot cheaper) and will be expecting in 2 months.

How do I start this whole process ? I am afraid we might have some criteria that are not under their approval.

Thanks

04/21/2016 : Married

11/17/2016 : I-130 sent ( NSO marriage certificate took forever) 

11/23/2016 : I-130 case accepted notified by email NOA1

01/27/2017 : USCIS APPROVED NOA2

02/04/2017 : NOA2 hardcopy received in mail

02/28/2017 : Case received by NVC

03/02/2017 : Agent assigned 

03/07/2017 : Case number assigned with invoice

03/28/2017 : Fees paid (IV and AOS)
04/05/2017 : DS260 online form completed
04/09/2017 : IV and AOS package sent to NVC
04/12/2017 : Requested for NVC expedite
04/17/2017:  NVC expedite approved 

04/18/2017:  In Transit 

04/20/2017: Received in Manila (may schedule for interview)
05/11/2017: SLEC -CLEARED 
05/25/2017: Interview @ Manila Embassy - APPROVED

05/30/2017: VISA on hand plus packet

06/08/2017: POE: California  

06/14/2017: Social Security card received through DS260 filing

06/24/2017: Green card received 

CRBA 

04/10/2017: CRBA sent to Embassy via FedEx 

04/19/2017: Appointment scheduled 

05/04/2017: Interviewed and approved 

05/17/2017: CRBA certificate on hand

05/26/2017: U.S Passport on hand

06/02/2017: Paid for ECC and Extension fees

06/08/2017: POE

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I recently sent application for appointment for CRBA for my daughter and yes we sent all copies of the documents needed. we did send original photos since we have extra copies. here's a tip for a speedy NSO birth certificate. Usually it takes months yes for them to release birth certificate but you should apply for advance endorsement to the local civil registrar where your son's birth certificate will be filed and just tell them you need it asap for application for crba. and it will take just a month or 2 (if from outside Manila) and a month or less (within Manila) and you'll get your NSO.

I need some help as my wife will be mailing the CRBA paperwork to Manila soon. We are waiting for the NSO birth certificate which is needed which we will have on Nov. 18th.

I want to go to be with my wife and newborn son (who I have not yet seen in person) but I need to know:

1. How long after the CRBA paperwork is submitted does it take for them to give you an appointment schedule?

2. Typically when they give you an appointment how many weeks is it from the time you get the notice?

I'm asking because I don't want to burn my vacation time just waiting with my wife in Philippines not knowing how long CRBA appointment time and processing may take.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

hi did you receive your appointment date?how many days after did they reply when you submitted your application?

A few days after we sent the paperwork I followed up by sending an email explaining I would be in the Philippines in a few days hoping to attend the interview and asked for the appointment date. They replied within 24 hours with an appointment date.

We completed our interview on dec 2nd. I found the whole interview process easy and stress free.

The hardest part had been waiting for the NSO birth certificate for our son born in the Philippines. That took 2 1/2 months and we couldn't submit for our interview without it.

We needed two copies of it and we only had one handy at the interview.

We are waiting now for delivery of the passport and CRBA which will be delivered separately

K1 timeline :

1/11/10 - I-129F sent to California Service Center

1/19/10 - NOA1

2/18/10 - moved and changed address on USCIS site

2/19/10 - touched

3/10/10 - touched

3/10/10 - NOA2, hardcopy recieved 3/12

3/16/10 - Left NVC, recieved MNL case #

3/22/10 - USEM recieved

4/19/10 - Passed Medical

4/28/10 - Interview - Approved

4/30/10 - Picked up Visa and completed CFO

5/5/10 - POE - Honolulu, Hawaii

5/6/10 - married in Hawaii

AOS timeline:

7/8/10 - received SSN Card

7/16/10 - reported US marriage for RP records

10/18/10 - AOS delivered in Chicago

10/25/10 - NOA1

11/04/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

11/23/10 - Biometrics Completed

11/24/10 - touched

11/26/10 - touched

02/14/11 - AOS approved at Interview, GC ordered

02/22/11 - GC arrives in mail

ROC Timeline:

12/17/12 - I-751 sent to California Service Center

12/20/12 - NOA1 arrives in mail

1/14/13 - Biometrics appointment

4/11/13 - RC Approved at Interview

4/22/13 - 10 Year Green Card arrived in mail

event.png

Always Thankful for God's blessings on our lives..

• 9 months later...

So do they need a notarized copy of your passport? Like it says on the check list? Or will a photocopy suffice?

Manila CRBA & Passport Experience

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/657133-usem-crba-experience/

IR-1/CR-1 Journey

USCIS

09/12/2017: I-130 package sent to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox

09/18/2017: NOA1 Email

09/26/2017: NOA1 Hardcopy(Texas Service Center)

10/01/2017: Expedite Request Sent

11/18/2017: NOA2 Email

11/30/2017: NOA2 Hardcopy

12/27/2017: Checked receipt number on the USCIS website and they had just forwarded the case to NVC that day *shame*

NVC

01/03/2018: Case received at NVC

01/10/2018: Expedite request sent

01/11/2018: Email received from NVC expedite that inquiry is under review

01/16/2018: IIN and Case number issued

01/18/2018: Expedite approved and immediately forwarded to US Embassy Manila. CEAC says "In Transit"

Medical & Embassy

01/23/2018: Embassy Received case file. CEAC says "Ready"

01/23/2018: DS-260 completed

01/24/2018: SLEC Medical DAY 1

01/25/2018: SLEC Medical DAY 2

02/02/1018: USEM Interview "PASSED"

02/08/2018: Picked up VISA packet at 2GO Laoag

02/09/2018: CFO sticker... went to the seminar Nov. 29 2017 for passport renewal requirement to change to husbands surname

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 9/22/2017 at 1:52 PM, PaoSelle said:

So do they need a notarized copy of your passport? Like it says on the check list? Or will a photocopy suffice?

Read the checklist accurately and interpret it literally.

"Copy" would seem to be the same as "photocopy."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.