21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I don't even know where to begin.

I met my girlfriend 3 years ago and we have been together since then. I have had it set in my mind for a while to bring her over. I had known her since I was 12. Last year I settled on a Student Visa to study english being the easiest choice to get approved to come over. Her family is not very well off and she could never even dream of affording to come visit much less live here. I sponsored her financially and she was approved. I knew it would be hard but I though it would be worth it. I had read up on the Visa and thought that she could come here, study for a while, then we could get married, adjust her status and so on. School is extremely expensive, but I figured we could get bye.

Now i'm not sure what to do. We are not yet married but It is pretty expensive to adjust status; and school is already stretching my pockets at $3000 per 9 week course. I make about 31k a year.

I'm also worried about the interview and her being denied a Green Card. I just wanted to marry my girlfriend, and not have to wait 6 months for a visa to proccess and not be able to see her for a long amount of time.

I think the CR1 and IR1 Visas are looking pretty attractive now. Costing less than half of what AOS does, and probably featuring less probing by racist idiots too.

I'm not sure what to do. I'm pretty sure there's no way to qualify for a I-912. And It's coming to the point where I have to decide what to do, whether pay another term of school, get married, or send her back.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

That's fraud and according to your story you're 15....

Who ate the racist idiots? Maybe they are just used to people trying to circumnavigate the system like bringing girlfriends over under students visas because they don't wan to wait, so they look for fraud?

The same people who look at CR-1 packages look at K-1 and the same people who look at student visas.

Edited by Shauneg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Last year I settled on a Student Visa to study english being the easiest choice to get approved to come over.

Her family is not very well off and she could never even dream of affording to come visit much less live here. I sponsored her financially and she was approved.

I am having trouble understanding the facts that you present to us.... Aside from what people mention above me....

so who came to the United States?? You or your girlfriend obtained the student visa? Who is the United States citizen?

My first Question is obvious:

1. If you have known her since the age of 12, why did she come to the United States on a student visa instead of a Fiancee or a spouse visa?

2. Given the fact that you say you are already stretched thin on finances because of her school.....I am curious what you plan to do the future? Are asking for advice on how to manage money? I am not understanding how the money issue is related to her marrying you.

I am trying to outline what options are available if I were in your shoes:

Filing for Adjustment of Status here in the United States to file immigration is probably not advised.....

1. Keep paying for her school, and when she graduates you can then worry about immigration.

2. Stop paying for school, and worry about immigration now.

Once you decide to bring her over as an immigrant:

1. Get married ( in her country or while she is here in the United States ) , THEN you file for petition I-130.............. at some point in this process she will need to leave to go the embassy of her home country for the interview.

2. Fiancee, file your form i-129f........................at some point in this process she will need to leave to go the embassy of her home country for the interview.

Edited by Karmalious

PETITION I-130

1/2/2015 - Petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox

1/6/2015 - NOA #1 Receipt

7/1/2015 - NOA #2 Approved

7/10/2015 - Email from Nebraska stating sent the case to NVC

NVC

7/16/15 - Case Received by NVC

7/30/15 - Case number assigned

8/3/15 - DS-261 Agent available

8/4/15 - DS-261 Agent completed

8/4/15 - AOS fee available & paid

8/6/15 - Check cleared the bank & bar-code cover sheet now available

8/13/15 - AOS Packet & IV Packet sent to NVC by priority mail

8/15/15 - IV fee available & paid same day

8/17/15 - NVC received package

8/19/15 - Check cleared the bank & DS-260 available & DS-260 completed!!! ALSO, we received email notification from NVC that they received package on 8/17

- Case completed at NVC

- Case sent to Embassy on this date

EMBASSY

- Embassy received packet

- Wife received Packet 3/4 Instructions

- Medical appointment

- Interview

Point of Entry

- Enter Austin, Texas

I am having trouble understanding the facts that you present to us.... Aside from what people mention above me....

so who came to the United States?? You or your girlfriend obtained the student visa? Who is the United States citizen?

I think he's the USC and she's the one getting the student visa. But as mentioned, he is just 15 AND is committing immigration fraud, both of which I have a hard time reconciling.

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

I think he's the USC and she's the one getting the student visa. But as mentioned, he is just 15 AND is committing immigration fraud, both of which I have a hard time reconciling.

If he is 15, I don't know of anywhere he can legally get married in the US without parental consent and a court order. I want to know how he brought his gf over here on a student visa when he was just 12.

I don't know many 15 year olds that make 31K and take courses that cost $3K every 9 weeks.

How old is the gf?

Edited by Teddy B

Ok apparently my post was obtuse. Let me explain this better for you all.

I met my gf in Colombia when I was 12. She wasnt my gf then. We startee seeing each other when I was about 22 and whe was 18. We wer in a ldr seeing each other every year or 6 months. I am now 26. She is 22.

I applied to bring her over on a student visa. She started studying in june and will be studying until October.

I have not asked her to marry me yet. We are not currently engaged. Yes part of my plan was to ask her to marry me once she came here but that was not the only reason I brought her over.

I do recognize that maybe what I did wasnt legal. I really don't give a damn if it was. Love is more important than our stupid xenophobic immigration system or the law.

There was no way in hell I was going to get married and then wait 6 months to a year to see my wife. Asking people to do this is tantamount to torture. But what more should one expect from a government who regularly tortures people and probably shouldnt even exist in the first place.

It seems funny to me, all these Colombians kept telling my gf to marry me. That as. An American I had a right to bring over my wife. And despite that not being the case I think the logic is solid. Whether the american government thinks it or not I do have a God-Given right to have my wife here with me (if she were my wife) and there is no excuse for a denial of that right. Just like there was no excuse for slavery.

Denial by a government of our God given rights does not mean those rights do not exist, it means simply that said government is infringing on our rights

Nonetheless I simply want to know what is the best thing to do. I am not a well off Gringo who went to Colombia, fell in love with a Colombian woman and got her to marry me by promising her the world. I was born in the Usa but I am a Colombian and American citizen. I lived in Colombia and knew my gf for years before we started dating.

Timeline

Lol. I personally am glad the investigate they people brought over. You should care if what you do is legal or not, the government will. You should move to Colombia since you hate the government here and don't feel like it should even exist....I mean who would bring their significant other to a country like that? I know I wouldn't

Edited by Shauneg

America is bad colombia is worse mostly due to Americas lovely foreign policy.

Why would I leave america how would that help anything. If I and everyone like me leave things will never change. And everyone will be worse off for it. Love it or leave it? Please.

America is bad. Colombia is worse thanks to America. The first step to fixing this nation is bringing enlightened people from overseas because most of the people here are a lost cause.

Timeline

Why bring someone here to learn in the land of people who are not enlightened?

Colombians can say and think what they want about our immigration it doesn't matter, they have their own problems to worry about and should check their own immigration policies before questioning the ones here.

Xenophobic? Really? You think there should be complete open borders with no regard or who can come and go? No worry or mention to the safety of the citizens or the imbalance of the it would cause to the money market? How would you change taxes, ss, and the rules and systems that make up medicaid, disability and tanf to aid in the influx of people who would come for government benefits?

Political views aside.

Get married and follow this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Just make sure she doesn't leave the country until she has her advance parole for travel.

Good Luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Not picking you apart, but at interview, don't tell this it is your God given right to

have your wife with you, otherwise you may be so deeply into AP, you wont get out of it

till retirement.

Remember, God don't control our government OR USCIS, so don't spout off to

them. USCIS is God over our lives while in this nightmare immigration journey.

Best wishes on your journeys in life.

AOS in the USA.

Your personal feelings on the matter are irrelevant. Entering the US on a student visa with the intention of staying, getting married and adjusting status is considered to be immigration fraud.

Of course, USCIS might not find out that you brought her here because you couldn't bare to spend another 6 months to a year apart. But if you go down this road, if and when the time comes that USCIS questions her initial intent for coming to the US, will she be able to prove that she never intended to stay past the amount of time allotted to her under the terms of her F1 visa?

This is her life and future that is also in question. I see a whole lot of "I hate the US government" and "I have a god-given right to do whatever I want" in your posts.. What are her thoughts and feelings on his matter?

USCIS: CR-1 Visa @ Vermont Service Center (Approved in 140 days from NOA1)

03/07/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/14/11: NOA1 via text and email (03/21/11: in the mail); petition routed to VSC

07/27/11: NOA2 via text and email (07/30/11: received in the mail)

08/01/11: Case received at NVC

09/19/11: Case complete and forwarded to consulate

10/19/11: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

11/18/11: POE

12/12/11: 2- year Green Card arrives in the mail

12/22/11: Applied for SSN at local office

12/26/11: SSN arrives in the mail

08/20/13: ROC window opens

10/03/13: I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center

10/05/13: I-751 Delivered (Signed for by Karen Fitzgerald)

10/09/13: Check cleared bank account

10/11/13: NOA1 received (dated 10/07/13)

10/19/13: Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 10/16/13)

11/12/13: Biometrics appointment in Buffalo, NY

11/15/13: Case transferred to CSC

03/04/14: USCIS case status update: Card/Document Production (i.e. APPROVED!!!)

03/07/14: USCIS case status update: Green Card in the postal system; tracking number

03/08/14: Approval notice arrives in the mail (dated 03/04/2014; USCIS Office: Buffalo, NY)

03/10/14: 10-year Green Card arrives in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.