Guille89

K1 Visa Denied. Now married and applying for CR-1

49 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Depends on how much co mingling evidence you have. Any life insurance stating each other as beneficiary, co owed property, financial accounts, lots of visits etc. then you probably don't need to be there for a CR1. Read your embassy reviews to see how the pattern flows.

The only proofs of the relationship I'm able to provide are the constant trips to see her (every 2 months), thousands of e-mail and text messages, tons of pictures from different trips, including our recent marriage and celebration (by marriage and celebration I mean when we went to the office where they legally wed you and the party we had after with our families celebrating our union. We did not have a traditional catholic wedding, even though it is a future plan). This actually brings up a question I had. Could some of the evidence pictures be somewhat intimate to help prove the authenticity of the relationship? I'm merely talking about pictures of us kissing, nothing else. The other things you mention are hard for us to get since I'm not sure I can put her in my bank accounts without her living here, and I don't own any property yet. Also, if Cuba wasn't such a repressive country and didn't hate all the citizens that left pursuing a better life and freedom and consider us traitors, then perhaps I could have property under our names over there and a bank account in a Cuban bank.

Thanks for the tips!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Kissing pics are fine and you can take out a small life insurance policy with her listed as beneficiary for about $20. Shop around.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Kissing pics are fine and you can take out a small life insurance policy with her listed as beneficiary for about $20. Shop around.

Hmm that's a good idea. I have a life insurance policy through my employer, which I still need to update my marital status there. Perhaps I can put her as the beneficiary for the policy and use that.

THANK YOU!

Timeline

You can also draft up a will and add her to your lease if possible.

Spoiler

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Other Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hmm that's a good idea. I have a life insurance policy through my employer, which I still need to update my marital status there. Perhaps I can put her as the beneficiary for the policy and use that.

THANK YOU!

you can add her to your insurance that would help, but as for bank accounts I know that most places you need a SSN so that might not work out just yet. Same thing for car or renters insurance. Add her to your cell phone bill, or utility bills if possible but really think the social is needed for those as well.

you can go to the interview in Cuba they allow you in building but not in the room while she is interviewed and they will also interview you as well. Some people have posted they regret going some say they are glad they went. Its really your call go with your gut.

I won't be able to attend the interview because I want to be able to bring him back when and if approved. My work won't allow me to take off that much when I already take off to go back every 4 months to visit.

I honestly think you will be fine - maybe she can have people write letters stating he was seperated or show proof she lived some where and he lived at another location.

2nd go round

1st K-1 Denied

Subitted Feb 2-6-15

NOA1 - 2-18-15

NOA2 - 8-18-15

Interview 11-25-15 - Denied

And Here we go again -

New K1 submitted - 1-9-16

NOA1 - 1-12-16 (according to USCIS)

Text received 1-15-16

hardcopy - not received yet as of 1-26-16

The only proofs of the relationship I'm able to provide are the constant trips to see her (every 2 months), thousands of e-mail and text messages, tons of pictures from different trips, including our recent marriage and celebration (by marriage and celebration I mean when we went to the office where they legally wed you and the party we had after with our families celebrating our union. We did not have a traditional catholic wedding, even though it is a future plan). This actually brings up a question I had. Could some of the evidence pictures be somewhat intimate to help prove the authenticity of the relationship? I'm merely talking about pictures of us kissing, nothing else. The other things you mention are hard for us to get since I'm not sure I can put her in my bank accounts without her living here, and I don't own any property yet. Also, if Cuba wasn't such a repressive country and didn't hate all the citizens that left pursuing a better life and freedom and consider us traitors, then perhaps I could have property under our names over there and a bank account in a Cuban bank.

Thanks for the tips!

Sorry to hear that the K-1 didn't work out for you guys.

Something else that has not been suggested - If you feel comfortable with the idea, you could try adding her as an authorized user on your credit card. Hubby has the Chase Freedom card and after we got married (and before filing for the CR-1 visa) he was able to list me as an authorized user on his card even though I didn't have a SSN and didn't live in the US. They issued an identical card with my name on it. We took a photo of both cards side by side and sent it in as proof of financial co-mingling.

He was also able to add my name on his auto insurance right after we got married.

In line with life insurance policies which a few other posters have suggested, he also added me as a beneficiary on his retirement account.

Good luck!

USCIS: CR-1 Visa @ Vermont Service Center (Approved in 140 days from NOA1)

03/07/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/14/11: NOA1 via text and email (03/21/11: in the mail); petition routed to VSC

07/27/11: NOA2 via text and email (07/30/11: received in the mail)

08/01/11: Case received at NVC

09/19/11: Case complete and forwarded to consulate

10/19/11: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

11/18/11: POE

12/12/11: 2- year Green Card arrives in the mail

12/22/11: Applied for SSN at local office

12/26/11: SSN arrives in the mail

08/20/13: ROC window opens

10/03/13: I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center

10/05/13: I-751 Delivered (Signed for by Karen Fitzgerald)

10/09/13: Check cleared bank account

10/11/13: NOA1 received (dated 10/07/13)

10/19/13: Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 10/16/13)

11/12/13: Biometrics appointment in Buffalo, NY

11/15/13: Case transferred to CSC

03/04/14: USCIS case status update: Card/Document Production (i.e. APPROVED!!!)

03/07/14: USCIS case status update: Green Card in the postal system; tracking number

03/08/14: Approval notice arrives in the mail (dated 03/04/2014; USCIS Office: Buffalo, NY)

03/10/14: 10-year Green Card arrives in the mail

Timeline

You can also draft up a will and add her to your lease if possible.

you can add her to your insurance that would help, but as for bank accounts I know that most places you need a SSN so that might not work out just yet. Same thing for car or renters insurance. Add her to your cell phone bill, or utility bills if possible but really think the social is needed for those as well.

you can go to the interview in Cuba they allow you in building but not in the room while she is interviewed and they will also interview you as well. Some people have posted they regret going some say they are glad they went. Its really your call go with your gut.

I won't be able to attend the interview because I want to be able to bring him back when and if approved. My work won't allow me to take off that much when I already take off to go back every 4 months to visit.

I honestly think you will be fine - maybe she can have people write letters stating he was seperated or show proof she lived some where and he lived at another location.

Sorry to hear that the K-1 didn't work out for you guys.

Something else that has not been suggested - If you feel comfortable with the idea, you could try adding her as an authorized user on your credit card. Hubby has the Chase Freedom card and after we got married (and before filing for the CR-1 visa) he was able to list me as an authorized user on his card even though I didn't have a SSN and didn't live in the US. They issued an identical card with my name on it. We took a photo of both cards side by side and sent it in as proof of financial co-mingling.

He was also able to add my name on his auto insurance right after we got married.

In line with life insurance policies which a few other posters have suggested, he also added me as a beneficiary on his retirement account.

Good luck!

Wonderful suggestions!!! I can definitely do some of these. Thank you all so much for taking the time to write, I really appreciate it. I believe with all these plus the evidence i already mentioned before i had, it should cover that part. We are now thinking how we can prove that she was separated from her ex-husband for 2-3 years despite of remaining legally married. She sent me a document from the court proceedings where it states such separation for 2 years. I'll just have to translate it, which I've already found it can be challenging translating all the legal lingo when i translated the divorce certificate. The fact that her ex-husband now resides in the US is not going to sound good so i plan on staying away from anything that could hint at that. The year long relationship she had with her ex boyfriend before me can help, but she got rid of everything related to him due to the nature of how the relationship ended.

Also, i have not received any documents myself after the K1 denial. Is there something i must do to make sure that process is discontinued completely before starting the CR-1 process? Am i supposed to receive a letter from USCIS or call them?

Timeline

I think you have to wait for it to be closed and something sent to you.

2nd go round

1st K-1 Denied

Subitted Feb 2-6-15

NOA1 - 2-18-15

NOA2 - 8-18-15

And Here we go again -

Text received 1-15-16

Timeline

Wonderful suggestions!!! I can definitely do some of these. Thank you all so much for taking the time to write, I really appreciate it. I believe with all these plus the evidence i already mentioned before i had, it should cover that part. We are now thinking how we can prove that she was separated from her ex-husband for 2-3 years despite of remaining legally married. She sent me a document from the court proceedings where it states such separation for 2 years. I'll just have to translate it, which I've already found it can be challenging translating all the legal lingo when i translated the divorce certificate. The fact that her ex-husband now resides in the US is not going to sound good so i plan on staying away from anything that could hint at that. The year long relationship she had with her ex boyfriend before me can help, but she got rid of everything related to him due to the nature of how the relationship ended.

Also, i have not received any documents myself after the K1 denial. Is there something i must do to make sure that process is discontinued completely before starting the CR-1 process? Am i supposed to receive a letter from USCIS or call them?

You will get a letter from USCIS after 6 months saying your petition is expired and that you can file again without prejudice.

You do not have to do anything, some people feel they have to write to USCIS to close out the K1 but since it will expire there is no reason for that

and you are marrying the same beneficiary and are filing a Cr1.

About proving that she was separated for 2 years from her ex, can her parents/siblings write an affidavit to attest that they lived in separate

households ? Did she have a room mate she may have lived with since then ? It will look to the CO that she had a divorce with the motive to re join her former husband in the US and is using you as a means to an end which happens all too frequently.

Doe she have any old emails/texts or something written from him showing his address or stating that he is moving out....anything ?

She needs to search her mind for anything that can show this.

Spoiler

Timeline

You will get a letter from USCIS after 6 months saying your petition is expired and that you can file again without prejudice.

You do not have to do anything, some people feel they have to write to USCIS to close out the K1 but since it will expire there is no reason for that

and you are marrying the same beneficiary and are filing a Cr1.

Does he have to wait the 6 months to file for the CR1? Just curious of one has to wait for the actual denial letter or the case to expire before submitting a new petition.

2nd go round

1st K-1 Denied

Subitted Feb 2-6-15

NOA1 - 2-18-15

NOA2 - 8-18-15

And Here we go again -

Text received 1-15-16

Timeline

Does he have to wait the 6 months to file for the CR1? Just curious of one has to wait for the actual denial letter or the case to expire before submitting a new petition.

Nope, not at all. A new CR1 petition will void and close out the K1 automatically. Now if the petitioner would file for a different beneficiary

then both, petitioner and former beneficiary should withdraw the petition/application depending on how far they had gotten in the process.

If a beneficiary is petitioned by someone else then the previous petition could present a problem when not withdrawn/closed.

Spoiler

Timeline

About proving that she was separated for 2 years from her ex, can her parents/siblings write an affidavit to attest that they lived in separate

households ? Did she have a room mate she may have lived with since then ? It will look to the CO that she had a divorce with the motive to re join her former husband in the US and is using you as a means to an end which happens all too frequently.

Doe she have any old emails/texts or something written from him showing his address or stating that he is moving out....anything ?

She needs to search her mind for anything that can show this.

I don't see any issue with her parents/siblings writing such affidavit, but would that be considered good enough? Like I mentioned previously, there is that court document from the divorce proceedings that states the 2 years of separation by the time she filed for divorce. I think that would be my best proof once I translate it, but if an affidavit like the one you mentioned would work as well, I would definitely use it as backup.

We're are not going to mention anything about the fact that her ex-husband lives in the US. That is just going to complicate matters. Even though I assume it could come up as a question...which would NOT be good. She told me she would go speak to a notary and see what they could recommend as proof of the separation. Thanks for your help!

Timeline

I don't see any issue with her parents/siblings writing such affidavit, but would that be considered good enough? Like I mentioned previously, there is that court document from the divorce proceedings that states the 2 years of separation by the time she filed for divorce. I think that would be my best proof once I translate it, but if an affidavit like the one you mentioned would work as well, I would definitely use it as backup.

We're are not going to mention anything about the fact that her ex-husband lives in the US. That is just going to complicate matters. Even though I assume it could come up as a question...which would NOT be good. She told me she would go speak to a notary and see what they could recommend as proof of the separation. Thanks for your help!

Ah, I missed that somehow, yes that should be sufficient.

Spoiler

Timeline

Quick Question: Question 16 on the I-130 "Has you relative ever been under immigration proceedings?", would her K1 interview and denial at the embassy count as "immigration proceedings"?

Timeline

Quick Question: Question 16 on the I-130 "Has you relative ever been under immigration proceedings?", would her K1 interview and denial at the embassy count as "immigration proceedings"?

No. Immigration proceedings pertain to "Removal, Exclusion/Deportation, Rescission, or other Judicial Proceedings."

Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.