diwanrayan

US citizen wife living with me in Pakistan (merged)

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Dear All,

Just joined this forum. Surely loads of information. I am really happy to see the community members helping each other.

I married to my wife(US Citizen by birth) in 2008. we have 4 kids. But my wife is living in Pakistan with her parents since she was 2 years old. We are planing to move to US by getting immigration. I have got my I-130 forms ready. All documents are ready as well. Her brother was our primary financial sponsor. He was transferred out of US on official assignment just recently and will be staying Ireland for at least a year if not more.

My questions:

1) Is it necessary for the financial sponsor to be blood relative? Can anyone please give the approximation of financial worth of sponsor?

2)How long will this process will take?

3)Any idea when moved to US, how long will it take for my kids to get the Passports/Citizenship? I know for me its like 3 years but someone told me that for kids it no wait once they are in US.

4)I only require to file form I-130 and sponsorship form? or are there any other forms which are also required to filled?

I will be thankful for your help.

regards,

Diwan.

Timeline

Dear All,

Just joined this forum. Surely loads of information. I am really happy to see the community members helping each other.

I married to my wife(US Citizen by birth) in 2008. we have 4 kids. But my wife is living in Pakistan with her parents since she was 2 years old. We are planing to move to US by getting immigration. I have got my I-130 forms ready. All documents are ready as well. Her brother was our primary financial sponsor. He was transferred out of US on official assignment just recently and will be staying Ireland for at least a year if not more.

My questions:

1) Is it necessary for the financial sponsor to be blood relative? Can anyone please give the approximation of financial worth of sponsor?

2)How long will this process will take?

3)Any idea when moved to US, how long will it take for my kids to get the Passports/Citizenship? I know for me its like 3 years but someone told me that for kids it no wait once they are in US.

4)I only require to file form I-130 and sponsorship form? or are there any other forms which are also required to filled?

I will be thankful for your help.

regards,

Diwan.

To pass on citizenship to children, there are residency requirements. You must be present in the U.S. Fro so long, so many years after a certain point.

Does not seem as though his wife would qualify.

Also:

She would be the primary financial supporter,due to her being the petitioner, she would have to fill out the I-864, even if she has no income. Also has to provide proof of filing taxes as U.S. citizens are required to do so

And no, a co sponsor would not have to be a relative. Could be anyone that meets the income requirements.

Edited by bendinlar

Timeline

Dear Bendinlar,

Yes my wife does not qualify residency requirements.That is the reason we are opting for application for immigration via I-130.

Also I will have to see how we can file her taxes as she is not residing in US. Thanks for the information.

Dear General Buhar,

The rule in that regard is that the parent must have lived in US for at least 5 years out of that two should be after the age of 14. If that is not there the way forward is via Immigration Application.

Please advice on the timings and blood relation of secondary sponsor.

regards,

Diwan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

1. No- any US citizen or greencard holder currently living in the USA can qualify- it could be a friend ina different state, or a contact at your local mosque.

2. About a year

3. If the kids are minors at the time of immigration, I believe they become US citizens as soon as they step on US soil, but I am not 100% sure on that.

4. At this stage, YOU don;t need to file anything. The first step is for your wife, the US citizen, to petition for a visa for you via this process: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Bonus tip: Your wife, as the US citizen petitioner, will need to proof she intends to move to, and remain living, in the USA at the same tie or before you, so think about how you will do that. Maybe take a vacation to the USA, look for homes to rent and jobs, and show proof of that; enroll kids in a US school etc etc....

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Has she been filing her US taxes?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

A huge bundle of thanks for all your help.

Thanks Penguin for your response.

Can anyone also help me as to how much should be the earning or financial worth of sponsor? Or if there is any link you guys can refer me to for information.

And secondly couple of people here raised the point regarding my wife filing taxes... No she has not been filling taxes and as such she has not been earning anything as well, but ofcourse you are still required to file taxes anyways... how bad can this be? and how to avert this?? Please advice!!!

A huge bundle of thanks for all your help.

Thanks Penguin for your response.

Can anyone also help me as to how much should be the earning or financial worth of sponsor? Or if there is any link you guys can refer me to for information.

And secondly couple of people here raised the point regarding my wife filing taxes... No she has not been filling taxes and as such she has not been earning anything as well, but ofcourse you are still required to file taxes anyways... how bad can this be? and how to avert this?? Please advice!!!

She doesn't need to file taxes if she isn't earning!

you should check out form I-864 P, It has all the requirements according to household size for sponsors/joint sponsors. Just google "I-864P"

Don't worry too much, your case is quite similar to a few people here on VJ, everyone got through without any major hassles. Just make sure you follow all the steps and stay 10 steps ahead of everything and you'll be fine In Sha ALLAH!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Even if you're not earning, you still need to file your taxes saying such.

Should be able to just file the last 3 years and be ok.

This is incorrect.

If a person has no earnings, then a tax return is not required.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Do-I-have-to-File-a-Tax-Return%3F

OP's wife sends in her I-864 with a statement that she was not required to file tax returns because she had no income.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

errata -

wife needs 5 I-130s -

one on you, and

one per child (you mentioned 4)

---

I-864 - she must prep and file one per human (5 of them) but that's later, way after I-130 approval.

co-sponsor needs to be able to handle income level supporting 5 people (you and the 4 children).

You've some time, for planning, for NVC stuff later, so don't sweat sponsorship as it's not evaluated during I-130 adjudication.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

errata -

wife needs 5 I-130s -

one on you, and

one per child (you mentioned 4)

---

I-864 - she must prep and file one per human (5 of them) but that's later, way after I-130 approval.

co-sponsor needs to be able to handle income level supporting 5 people (you and the 4 children).

You've some time, for planning, for NVC stuff later, so don't sweat sponsorship as it's not evaluated during I-130 adjudication.

I-864 for husband. Household size is still 6.

I-864w for kids who will be US citizens upon entering the U.S. on immigrant visas.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, i not mention household size, directly, cause it always trips me up.

but for a co-sponsor, it's 1 less as the USCitizen spouse is never counted on it.

GREAT CATCH about the I-864-W !!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.