Tkmon

Dependent Children

10 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am currently on TN visa from Canada and working in U.S.

I plan to submit an application for AOS soon via marriage to a U.S. Citizen that I have been dating for the past 8 months.

What are the requirements for adding my children (Ages 20, 18 and 13) to the list of sponsors, including me, by my finance? Does anyone know which forms to use for that?

Also, assuming one apply for and granted Advance Parole, can I use it to travel to Canada Weekly like my TN visa(I-94)?

Thanks in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello All,

I am currently on TN visa from Canada and working in U.S.

I plan to submit an application for AOS soon via marriage to a U.S. Citizen that I have been dating for the past 8 months.

What are the requirements for adding my children (Ages 20, 18 and 13) to the list of sponsors, including me, by my finance? Does anyone know which forms to use for that?

Also, assuming one apply for and granted Advance Parole, can I use it to travel to Canada Weekly like my TN visa(I-94)?

Thanks in advance.

To add them as sponsors for support? Or you mean benificaries so that they can come?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

HI

I think you mean petition

the older 2 your wife cannot file for them

for a stepparent to file for a stepchild, the marriage has to take place before the 18th birthday

so the only one your wife could file for is the 13 year old? now, what about the mom? would she authorize him to come and live with you? or are they here with you?

you can't travel every week with the i94

Filed: Timeline

As other people have mentioned, after you get married, your spouse cannot petition those children of yours who were over 18 at the time you got married. You could petition them after you become a permanent resident, but the F2A category (unmarried under-21 child of permanent resident) has a wait of 1-2 years for visa numbers, and the oldest child will probably age out into the F2B category (unmarried over-21 child of permanent resident) has a wait of almost 7 years.

There is a way that more of your children can come with you, which is for your fiance to petition you for a fiance visa. You would get K-1 visa and your under-21 children can get K-2 visas. (Though depending on the timeframes there is still a chance that your oldest child will age out.) Then once in the US, as you do AOS your K-2 dependents can also do AOS. The downside of this route is that 1) instead of being able to marry and AOS now you have to wait for the whole K-1 process and get the visa and come back in before marrying and doing AOS, and 2) you won't be able to work for several months when you come back on K-1, until you get EAD based on AOS.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Thanks for you everyone.

In addition, my second child will not be 18 until end of Dec 2015, therefore, I believe he will still be eligible as beneficiary.

From this website ( have gathered information below with regards to filling FEES:

1a) Form I-485 Application to Adjust Status,
1b) Form I-131 Advance Parole,
1c) Form I-765 Employment Authorization - $985 USD (if filed together)
2) Biometrics Fee - $85 USD
3) Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative (not required in all situations) - $420 USD
4) Children under 14 - $635
5) Children 14 or older - $985
Please note that I am using the following link as a guide:http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/212749-from-tn-status-to-green-card/

I intend to ask my new wife to add my 2 previous kids under beneficiaries on form - I-130 Petition for Alien Relative.
Questions:
Do we need to file separate forms for this, or we can add the kids under section C.
I know I am paying fees 1(a,b and c), 2 and 3; do I need to pay 4) and 5) if only listing kids as beneficiaries in one form
I-130?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

it is one petition per person, have you gotten married already? because on the first post you mentioned fiancé? are you collecting evidence of bona fide marriage for your petition?

if you married before your second child turned 18, then yes, your wife can file a petition for him

each petition is separate and he will file for them as their stepmom

you will list your children as information, but that doesn't mean they are being petitioned, a separate petition is needed for each one of you

the i130 is $420 each

the i485 is $1070 and less for minor children, don't separate the biometrics, since they are included in the cost

the i131/i765 don't cost anything when filed with the i485

as well as the i864 and the G325A

for your petition, there needs to be 2 G325A spousal petition

and of course the i693 medical and vaccination for al 3 of you

and proof of having entered legally to the country

Edited by aleful

I understand it is prudent to send personal checks and use tracking system when submitting AOS APPLICATIONS.

who should one address the check to?

also, I leave in Everett, Washington, who someone suggest a "lockbox" to send the application to, Chicago?

Thanks, for your input.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.