5 posts in this topic

Hello!

So in 2010 while I was studying in the U.S. on a student visa me and my boyfriend got married but we never filed for an adjustment of status. We lived together in the U.S. for about 2 years and then moved to Sweden(where I'm from) for 6 months. After those 6 months we broke up and he moved back to the U.S. and we filed for a divorce and we were officially divorced spring 2014. We reconciled in the summer of 2014 and I have visited him in the U.S. a couple of times since then and we've decided we want to get married again and live together in the U.S. I'm not sure what type of visa would work for us since we've already been married once and got a divorce. He is coming to visit me this fall so we are not sure if we should get married again here in Sweden and then file for the spouse visa or wait and file for the K-1 visa? Since we don't live together right now we wouldn't have any proof of joint bank accounts or anything like that, will that be a problem?

Thank you in advance!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My guess is whichever you decide for, you're going to have to bring up a lot of evidence that it's going to work out this time. But my best guess is go with the CR1.

//fellow swede

Hello!

So in 2010 while I was studying in the U.S. on a student visa me and my boyfriend got married but we never filed for an adjustment of status. We lived together in the U.S. for about 2 years and then moved to Sweden(where I'm from) for 6 months. After those 6 months we broke up and he moved back to the U.S. and we filed for a divorce and we were officially divorced spring 2014. We reconciled in the summer of 2014 and I have visited him in the U.S. a couple of times since then and we've decided we want to get married again and live together in the U.S. I'm not sure what type of visa would work for us since we've already been married once and got a divorce. He is coming to visit me this fall so we are not sure if we should get married again here in Sweden and then file for the spouse visa or wait and file for the K-1 visa? Since we don't live together right now we wouldn't have any proof of joint bank accounts or anything like that, will that be a problem?

Thank you in advance!

Okay thanks! Do you have any idea of what kind of evidence we would have to provide other than the already required evidence?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My guess is that it would require you to give them lots of information as to why it is going to work out this time.

They'll probably let you know in an RFE :-)

Okay thanks! Do you have any idea of what kind of evidence we would have to provide other than the already required evidence?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.