grrl77

Importing the boyfriend from the Netherlands :)

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hey guys!

I'm brand new here and so far, I've got to say this is the best collection of data and experiences I've seen out there, so I'm very happy to have found this community! :) Like many, I've not done this before and never thought I'd fall in love with a pretty cute Dutch boy from another country and have to go through this process - I'm actually quite excited!

We aren't looking to start this process of filling out the K1 Visa until the New Year. Here's sort of what I'm thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, as far as timelines go:

1.) Fill out paperwork in January.

2.) We visit each other while all this is happening.

3.) Visa should hopefully be approved by July or August, based on the current timeframes of 7 months.

4.) He comes in August-ish, once it's approved, and we have some sort of amazingly awesome fall wedding with close friends/family.

5.) Immediately after we marry, file Adjustment of Status paperwork/file for EAD so that he can work while he's here, as his status gets changed to Permanent Resident.

6.) He hopefully finds a job in his line of work, and we live happily ever after.

I realize this is probably best case scenario - are there any tips, tricks, timelines I'm being unrealistic about? Any advice you might be able to provide would be awesome. Thanks so much, in advance! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum!

Everyone's immigration journey differs. Here's a retrospective thread for your consideration:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/410945-k-1-journey-completed/

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Just keep your plans fluid when it comes to his arrival. 7 months may be the average now, but that doesn't mean it can't slow down considerably before then. And don't pay any deposits for your wedding until you're 100% sure of his arrival date.

Best wishes! :)

Service Center : Texas Service Center          AOS begins!                                                                                            ROC Time!

Transferred? No

Consulate : Montreal, Canada (He is a German, but has been living in Canada for the last 5 years)

I-129F Sent : 2014-07-21                           Packet sent: 2015-06-22                                                                          Packet sent: 2017-11-29

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-07-29                        NOA1 for I-485 and EAD: 2015-07-02                                                 Receipt notice: 2017-12-04

I-129F NOA2 : 2015-02-03                       Biometrics Appt: 2015-07-28                                                                  Biometrics: 2017-12-28

NVC Received:No notice. Case # 2014-02-18    RFE: 2015-07-21 (RFE on I-485)                                              Approved w/o Interview: 2019-1-17

NVC Left : 2015-02-24                             RFE returned: 2015-07-29                                                                         Recieved: 2019-1-24

Consulate Received : 2015-02-26           Response received: 2015-08-03

Interview Date : 2015-04-15                   EAD Approved: 2015-09-04

Interview Result : APPROVED!! :D  EAD card Received: 2015-09-11

Visa Received : 2015-04-21                      Card Production Ordered: 2015-12-10 (No Interview! :D )

US Entry : 2015-04-23

Marriage : 2015-05-09

german_american_flags.jpg

Just keep your plans fluid when it comes to his arrival. 7 months may be the average now, but that doesn't mean it can't slow down considerably before then. And don't pay any deposits for your wedding until you're 100% sure of his arrival date.

Best wishes! :)

Just what I was going to advise! The processing times fluctuate unexpectedly and drastically. You can never guarantee if your whole process will take 3 months or 2 years. And each embassy is different with how they handle scheduling interviews.

You seem to have a good plan, though! Just be sure that anything you book for a fabulous fall wedding has stipulations that you can change the date and/or get a refund if the visa doesn't come through in time. From my experience, places are more willing to accommodate in the fall since it's between summer "wedding season" and holiday party season. We got married at the end of October in downtown Chicago, and both the hotel we married in and the restaurant where we held our reception were more than accommodating about putting a "date can be changed at no additional fee" clause. And of course never book flights (for you/your fiancee or any potential wedding guests) until the visa is in hand!

Once the visa is approved, it will expire 6 months from the date of his medical. So if you need to stall him coming over for a month or two in order to finalize wedding plans/let people book flights, you should be able to do so. And of course you have to marry within 90 days of him entering the US.

Congratulations! I don't think many of us expected to fall in love with someone who lived thousands of miles away. I think it's awesome how small the world really is...and this site reminds me of that frequently!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Hey guys!

I'm brand new here and so far, I've got to say this is the best collection of data and experiences I've seen out there, so I'm very happy to have found this community! :) Like many, I've not done this before and never thought I'd fall in love with a pretty cute Dutch boy from another country and have to go through this process - I'm actually quite excited!

We aren't looking to start this process of filling out the K1 Visa until the New Year. Here's sort of what I'm thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, as far as timelines go:

3.) Visa should hopefully be approved by July or August, based on the current timeframes of 7 months.

4.) He comes in August-ish, once it's approved, and we have some sort of amazingly awesome fall wedding with close friends/family.

5.) Immediately after we marry, file Adjustment of Status paperwork/file for EAD so that he can work while he's here, as his status gets changed to Permanent Resident.

6.) He hopefully finds a job in his line of work, and we live happily ever after.

I realize this is probably best case scenario - are there any tips, tricks, timelines I'm being unrealistic about? Any advice you might be able to provide would be awesome. Thanks so much, in advance! :)

I would strongly caution against using current timeframes to estimate what will happen even if you filed tomorrow, nevermind 4.5 months from now. USCIS can change anything at any time and current processing times go out the window. The 7 month thing (I'm guessing you're getting that from the "what visa do I need" comparison chart?) is just an overall average, that in practical terms doesn't really mean much.

I don' t know how much you've read around here yet, but quick and dirty: there's two major steps. One: you ask the Department of Homeland Security (specifically USCIS) to allow him to apply for the visa. Two: he applies to the State Department (represented by embassies abroad) for the visa itself. Step 1 is the most highly variable timeframe, particularly with the averages, and is the one that's toughest to predict. While it doesn't seem likely NOW (if you were to apply tomorrow, that is), it is entirely possible for Step 1 alone to take 7 months--and it has nothing to do with you or your application or the country your fiance is from. It's a matter of your spot in whatever line you get put in.

If you want a detailed explanation of why that is, read here (if not skip down to the ***).

For many years, the first part (you petitioning for him to be allowed to apply for the visa) was being handled by one of two USCIS "Service Centers", determined by the state the petitioner lives in. And, it seems, that *always* one was significantly faster than the other. For example, those of us handled by the Texas Service Center in the past year or so have averaged 7 months just for this first part of the process (remember, there's the whole State Department/embassy part to come), whereas those at California Service Center are averaging under 2 months. (And in years past, it was the other way around, and with the Vermont service center thrown into the mix).

So right off the bat, we have a 5 month "swing" in different timeframe possibilities. And averages, are of course, just averages. Some people come in way under (4 day turnarounds at California, or 5 month turnarounds at Texas) or way over. While FOR NOW, California is the only service center taking new petitions (because of the backlog at Texas), this can change at any time--they could start routing petitions to Texas again, or open one of the other service centers to K1 applications. No one knows what will happen and what the results of that will be. Then, as TBone pointed out...the whole embassy phase is a whole other animal. While for the most part people get through that in 2 or 3 months, some embassies are significantly more difficult than others, or significantly busier than others (and it's hard to get an appointment). Anything can happen at this stage, too.

***Sorry to get into the weeds there :) I just think that everyone should appreciate that while these timelines are great general guidelines, they really do not and cannot show the full picture of this process and you shouldn't rely on them for timeline decision making at all. I didn't base my decision on when to apply 100% on the timelines here, but I did use them to help make a few different decisions, and only when it was a bit too late to change my plans did I actually start reading posts and realizing what the "reality on the ground" was.

I would encourage you that if you're ready (if you're not waiting for New Year for any particular reason), to go ahead and file sooner than January. If things go quickly with USCIS (as they're likely to these days), you can always take your time during the embassy stage. And once you get the visa, you don't have to get on the next plane to the US. You can wait for nearly 6 months. So really, you could have visa-in-hand with the 100% assurance that he will be able to come over in time for the wedding. Versus your plan is to start planning a wedding, maybe without really fully knowing if he'll even have the visa by then if the timeframes start to go insane again.

Again, right now, it looks like you'd be routed to California center, and probably be done with this whole process in 6 months. But who knows what 4.5 more months of applications being sent only to California will do, or if they'll open Texas up again and start a 4.5 month long backlog.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

What they said :rofl:

We started with the same general idea July 2014, Thinking we had plenty of time for me to move in time for the summer of 2015. That plan went out the window really fast. Start on the paperwork and start early. Also I found the Dutch consulate info here to be far from correct. And really Dutch specific. Passport pictures can be a pain to get. Most shops will say they know how to take them US-Style, but than still screw up. Have him bring the lay-out of the requested format. (took me 4 tries to get them)

And try to keep your sense of humor. There's a good change you'll need it somewhere down the road.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hey guys!

Welcome to the forum !

I just did the exact same thing (uhh.. I'm the cute Dutch boyfriend part of the two ;-) so if you (or your bf) need a

chat, send me a pm!

Things are fairly easy for people from The Netherlands, and the U.S. Consulate in Amsterdam is actually a

fairly relaxed place, compared to many others. You'll be fine, just follow the K-1 Guide on this site to the

letter, and, where needed, ask !!

Good luck!

SEP-1994 First met! 12-16-14 POE PHILADELPHIA

05-25-14 Engaged (what took us so looooong!!!?) 12-19-14 MARRIAGE (SIMPLE)

06-19-14 I-129F packet sent to Lewisville Lockbox (USPS overnight) 01-05-15 I-485 (AOS/EAD/AP) package mailed out

06-20-14 USPS messed up, and had to re-route! 01-12-15 NOA text/email received for AOS/EAD/AP

06-23-14 I-129F packet received at Lockbox 02-03-15 Biometrics (Indianapolis)

06-23-14 NOA1 Notice Date (routed to CSC, yay!) 04-07-15 EAD and AP approved, card ordered

06-25-14 NOA1 text/email received 04-14-15 EAD/AP Combo Card received by certified mail.

06-26-14 Check Cashed 06-15-15 Received letter about interview waiver. 6mo to go!

06-27-14 Alien Registration Number changed 08-06-15 Welcome Notice mailed, permanent status registered.

06-30-14 NOA1 hardcopy received 08-14-15 Green Card mailed to me.

09-24-14 NOA2 text/email received *APPROVED* 08-18-15 Green Card (which is green!) in hand!!

09-28-14 NOA2 hardcopy received

10-15-14 NVC received 05-17-17 Time to start ROC !

10-16-14 NVC case number assigned

10-21-14 NVC left (to Amsterdam Consulate)

10-23-14 Consulate Received

10-25-14 PACKET-3 Received (regular mail)

10-25-14 Online DS-160 submitted **** I am the Beneficiary (Fred) ****

10-27-14 Sent reply to Consulate (arrives 10-28)

10-29-14 Touched *** If you have questions about the K-1 journey coming

11-01-14 PACKET-4 Received (regular mail) *** from The Netherlands, send me a message !

11-26-14 MEDICAL *PASSED*

12-04-14 INTERVIEW *APPROVED*

12-06-14 Touched (Administrative Processing)

12-08-14 Touched (Ready)

12-09-14 Touched (Issued)

12-10-14 Received email that package was sent off

12-11-14 VISA IN HAND

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Just to note, you must have met face to face within two years of filing the paperwork. You haven't said that you met him in person yet, so just an FYI, that has to be done before you file the paperwork for the petition.

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I assumed they had met.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

First of all, welcome to the forums!

There is so much I could say but it was put out there pretty well by the others :thumbs: I would, like most of the others, NOT wait until January to file simply because the timeframes are just an average. If you are going to look at timeframes, make sure you look at the other couples timelines from your beneficiary country. This is what I did and made sure it was the couples from the last few months at the most. I did my own averaging based on the couples who were most similar to us (Same country, same service center, same type of situation, etc.). You do not want to compare yourself to a country that has a processing time much greater at the embassy level than your country or one service center to another. As they stated, right now CSC is much quicker than TSC and there are other service centers they may temporarily open.

When I did my research, I chose to file sooner than later because I knew that TSC had a large wait time and I hadn't known everything was being rerouted to CSC. We expected to be waiting about 6 months just for the first stage and another 3-4 months for the embassy stage. :crying: I did further researching and that's when I found I could do my own comparring. We are exactly 2 months in from our first NOA and our packet is currently on its way to the embassy. We could easily have been one of the couples still sitting at the service centers, with an RFE, a denial, or stuck at NVC. :bonk: Don't short yourself time, it could easily be swayed a completely different way. Don't forget at the embassy they could postpone as well and put you under review. This is of course worst case in my opinion but you have to take this into consideration.

Plan for extra processing time with each step.

1. Send in petition and either get an RFE/denial or an NOA1 in about a week (Give yourself an extra week or two)

2. Your petition will be sent to a service center and sit there for an undetermined amount of time (anywhere between 20 days and 9 months) - Just being honest! :dead:

3. You will receive an NOA2 or an RFE

4. Petition then sent to NVC (1-6 weeks) Again just being honest

5. Assigned case number and sent out to embassy (1-6 weeks again)

6. Embassy sends packet 3 and then 4 amongst the other things you have to do before getting interview (up to a couple months)

7. Interview approved or denied or they request more information

8. Visa is issued (1-4 weeks) :joy:

I know these aren't completely accurate timeframes but I'm giving an example of how insane they can be and some of the smaller steps are kept out but they are basic timelines anyway. What I'm trying to show you is that you need to prepare for the worst but hope for the best. With my fiance and I, we ended up with our NOA1 sooner than expected, our NOA2 sooner than expected, our NVC numbers sooner than expected and it is supposed to arrive at the embassy sooner than we expected. We honestly didn't think he would be home sooner than next spring so we are pleasantly surprised. There are steps you can stall on if you need to and they can extend all dates through the process so it never expires. Do things sooner if you are ready for that step otherwise don't plan for a fall wedding until you are at the interview stage basically.

This journey isn't easy...we went over many hurdles along the way... We are together now, 4 years going strong... It's never impossible, it is a matter of having the strength and love to conquer all things along the way! 

(K-1 Process)(I 601 Waiver Process)(AOS, EAD & AP)

June 13th 2015- Filed 1-129f

June 19th 2015- NOA1 Received!

July 21st 2015- NOA2 Received!

August 10th 2015- NVC Received!

August 17th 2015- Case # Received over phone!

August 21st 2015- Embassy in Sydney Received!

August 27th 2015- Packet 3 Received!

August 29th 2015- Police Fingerprinting Done!

September 1st 2015- Packet 4 Received!

September 15th 2015- Interview in Sydney!

September 18th 2015- Medical in Brisbane!

September 23rd 2015- Letter from Medical Received!

October 17th 2015- CEAC changed to refused 

October 17th - November 10th 2015- emails and phone calls placed to embassy to inquire on our case

November 12th 2015- Email from embassy confirming refusal with news that we qualify for a waiver!

November 18th 2015- Received package from embassy on our denial and waiver information

March 7th 2016- I-601 Waiver overnighted to lockbox

March 8th 2016- I-601 Waiver delivered to lockbox and received (According to Website)

March 12th 2016- I-601 Waiver received (Text and email message verifying)

November 2016- Sent inquiry on I-601 (Was told it was still in line, contact in 60 days if no decision made)

January 31st 2017- Called NCSC to talk to tier 2 officer. Was informed it was with an officer and a decision should be made in 15 days

February 9th 2017- USCIS updated our case to approved! (February 8th was the date listed) 

February 12th 2017- Received updated instructions

February 13th 2017- Received official approval letter in the mail/ Booked medical in Brisbane. 

February 20th 2017- Medical in Brisbane

February 27th 2017- Picked up Medical Packet

February 28th 2017- Second interview and immediate approval! 

March 6th, 2017- K-1 Visa Issued

March 16th 2017- He arrives home : POE LAX 

May 27th 2017- We are finally married! 

June 13th 2017- AOS, EAD and AP go out in the mail

June 19th 2017- NOA 1 for AOS, EAD and AP 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Like they all said! Don't make plans set in stone and don't read too much into the predicted date of when you might get your visa. When I applied the average was 5 months... It turned it to a huge backlog at Texas and it ended up being an 8 month wait. So that 7 month prediction might go out the window pretty fast. And it can also take a while after you received your Notice of Action 2 before everything goes to the embassy stage and things like that. So keep all plans loose! Don't book anything until he has the visa in hand.

Edited by Maria&Seve

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

either apply asap, or dont schedule a wedding that soon; you will legally have 90 days from the day he comes to get married

I agree, you might as well start now. If it comes in earlier than you wanted because of your potential wedding plan you can always delay the process. It would probably be nicer to be able to delay it then see the wedding date you wanted pass by (been there...)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Thanks guys for all your input! I'm very open on the timelines, nothing is set in stone just yet for a wedding or anything else. We're at kind of the beginning part of our relationship and loosely talked about him coming over. I think after Christmas, we'll talk more seriously about it - kind of a huge step! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.