Trumplestiltskin

Why I’m finally going to boycott Amazon

66 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck proving it in court. The laws are completely stack against employees.

Yes and No

For an employee who feels they have been discriminated against because of health reasons, the optics in front of the court are really poor for the employer and most large employers know it (even if their frontline managers do not), it is best to pursue the case.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes and No

For an employee who feels they have been discriminated against because of health reasons, the optics in front of the court are really poor for the employer and most large employers know it (even if their frontline managers do not), it is best to pursue the case.

Nonsense, it is extremely difficult to prove discrimination. The whole at will employment rules make it very easy to fire anyone and hense it is difficult for employees to prove that they were fired because of discrimination.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

If an Amazon employee is unhappy working at Amazon - QUIT!

We are fortunate to live in a free country where we are free to choose our employer. I didn't like my last employer, so I quit and started my own company.

Sometimes work is hard. That why it's called "work" and not "fun".

CSC

4/14/2015 Sent I-129F via UPS

4/16/2015 Received NOA1

6/1/2015 Received NOA2

NVC

6/8/2015 NVC Received Petition

6/10/2015 NVC sent to US Embassy Bangkok (NVC Confirmed)

US Embassy Bangkok

6/13/2015 US Embassy Bangkok Received (tracked with DHL)

6/15/2015 "Case Creation Date"

6/26/2015 Status "Ready" CEAC case tracker

7/2/2015 Received Packet 3

7/7/2015 Received Thai Police Certificate via mail

7/10/2015 Mailed Packet 3 documents to US Embassy

7/13/2015 Received Packet 4 email/Interview Scheduled for 8/4/2015

8/4//2015 Interview (Approved!)

US

8/19/2015 I (USC) flew to Thailand

8/26/2017 We flew back together to Colorado, USA (LA California port of entry)

Marriage SSN

8/28/2015 Applied for SSN

8/28/2015 Obtained Marriage License

9/4/2015 Received social security card (SSN) with unmarried name via US mail

9/7/2015 Married in Colorado

AOS, AP, EAD

9/9/2015 Recorded Marriage License, Changed name SSN, Applied for AOS, AP, EAD

9/14/2015 Received social security card (SSN) with married name

9/16/2015 Received text and email NOA1s for AOS, AP, EAD

9/21/2015 Received paper NOA1s for AOS, AP, EAD via US mail

9/25​/2015 Received letter vis US mail scheduling biometrics for 10/5/2015

10/2/2015 Received RFE for not submitting 2014 tax documents

10/5/2015 Biometrics in Denver

10/9/2015 Responded to RFE by sending 2014 tax copies

11/18/2015 Received RFE stating EAD form was not an original signature?

11/19/2015 Signed the form in BLUE ink and returned via 2nd day UPS

12/10/2015 AP and EAD Approved

12/17/2015 Received Combo AP and EAD Card via US mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

We are fortunate to live in a free country where we are free to choose our employer. I didn't like my last employer, so I quit and started my own company.

You do know that in most countries people have the right to choose their employer, right? North Koreans might have that luxury, but in most countries, people typically do have that right. In America, people start out loaded up with student loans, so quiting might not be so easy. Besides, it's not like anyone might require health insurance coverage, while they are starting their own business.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you read the NYT article that this one is based on, you'll see that people do leave. In fact, Amazon has the highest staff turnover of any Fortune 500 company. The issue is not that people leave, it's that they leave because Amazon fosters a workplace culture that drives people to depression.

If your boss puts you on a 'performance improvement plan' when you are on medical leave for cancer treatment or following a miscarriage, or say to you that starting a family is incompatible with the company ethos - as an employee you have more choices open to you than to just leave. You can, for example, sue them. And if that were to happen to you - you'd have every right to.

This thread is about whether people should look beyond their desire to order cheap, quickly available goods because their money is going to support a company with deeply unethical values.

Edited by Venkman

There are a lot of IT companies that behave in similar ways to their employees. The stories my fiancé used to tell me every night when he'd come home were troubling. Working environments like this can really destroy a soul.

I imagine that something in the employee contract may prevent them from suing, otherwise you'd think someone would have done it by now - especially regarding the discrimination/health based claims. That being said, I heard similar health-related stories in the workplace from other companies - in this case from low paid workers that didn't have the choice to the sue, because being so desperate for a job, they kept tolerating the poor working conditions.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i guess the complainers at amazon never had a really tough job

fGKpo0c.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

There are a lot of IT companies that behave in similar ways to their employees. The stories my fiancé used to tell me every night when he'd come home were troubling. Working environments like this can really destroy a soul.

I imagine that something in the employee contract may prevent them from suing, otherwise you'd think someone would have done it by now - especially regarding the discrimination/health based claims. That being said, I heard similar health-related stories in the workplace from other companies - in this case from low paid workers that didn't have the choice to the sue, because being so desperate for a job, they kept tolerating the poor working conditions.

Employee protection laws aren't what they used to be, but there are still red lines that should never be crossed. I think there's an element of brainwashing that takes place in some organisations that makes people feel that they have no redress for unfair or unlawful treatment.

Often the biggest incompetents are the HR department.

Edited by Venkman

Timeline

i guess the complainers at amazon never had a really tough job

fGKpo0c.jpg

So anyone who's not a soldier should shut up? Sorry, I just don't buy it.

I've had good jobs and bad jobs. I've had jobs where I literally put everything in and worked a hundred hours a week (that's not an exaggeration--sometimes I literally slept on the floor at work waiting for the next task) and I've had 9-5 style jobs and I've worked a lot of retail. At my hundred hour jobs, I was being paid well and my boss encouraged breaks and mental downtime during my workday. At my 9-5s, I was being paid reasonably well and my boss encouraged the bare minimum of breaks, but at least I got them. When working retail, hours jerk you around so you cannot plan a damn thing in your actual downtime because people have already made plans that don't include you, you get paid poorly and forget about labour laws--breaks may not exist and if you need to pee, you better have a strong sphincter.

Amazon sounds like the hour expectations of my hundred hour jobs combined with the thanklessness and unpredictability of a retail position.

People should be able to work to live, not live to work. It sounds like Amazon both doesn't allow that and purposely puts its headquarters in right to work states to avoid the risk of unionization.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Timeline

I've had good jobs and bad jobs. I've had jobs where I literally put everything in and worked a hundred hours a week (that's not an exaggeration--sometimes I literally slept on the floor at work waiting for the next task) and I've had 9-5 style jobs and I've worked a lot of retail. At my hundred hour jobs, I was being paid well and my boss encouraged breaks and mental downtime during my workday. At my 9-5s, I was being paid reasonably well and my boss encouraged the bare minimum of breaks, but at least I got them. When working retail, hours jerk you around so you cannot plan a damn thing in your actual downtime because people have already made plans that don't include you, you get paid poorly and forget about labour laws--breaks may not exist and if you need to pee, you better have a strong sphincter.

Amazon sounds like the hour expectations of my hundred hour jobs combined with the thanklessness and unpredictability of a retail position.

People should be able to work to live, not live to work. It sounds like Amazon both doesn't allow that and purposely puts its headquarters in right to work states to avoid the risk of unionization.

Agreed, it's irrelevant.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Sounds like you've had a lot of jobs.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I really don't know what the Amazon workplace is like but lets talk about their their lousy credit card. When I first got the thing it offered 3 to 1 points on amazon purchases, 2 to 1 for many others and 1 to 1 for the rest... They also did yearly bonuses of 7500 points if you could spend 1500 during the month of December. The points and travel option (unique to them) would essentially let me fly between any two points in the US for the equivalent of 75 bucks round trip... Then the bonuses went away, the air travel option went away, the 2 for 1 went away and what was left was basically 3% cash back on Amazon purchases. I held onto it up until now because I thought they might eventually add free Prime but no more! Goodbye Chase Amazon, Hello Starwood AMEX SPG! ..... Feels so good to break those shackles!

NoAmazon.jpg

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Timeline

I know they don't have decent payment security on transactions (which is how they have the 'Buy with one-click'), because it's cheaper for them to pay the fine than implement a security standard.

Timeline

Sounds like you've had a lot of jobs.

Moved around a lot in early adulthood and I had my first job at twelve and had full time work through high school. Changed jobs fairly regularly in high school due to scheduling shifts changing around with different managers making full time incompatible with high school classes. Changed jobs occasionally even while stationary trying to find the right fit--I won't stay in a place that isn't paying me well enough for the stress level. It's not worth it to me. My personal health comes first and despite so many jobs on my resume, I am very hireable and have never taken more than 2-3 weeks to find a new job when I decide that I don't want to be somewhere anymore. Never been fired, but have walked off the job once due to abusive management. I also once left a job for health reasons--I had become allergic to the substances with which I was working.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.