marymina119

We do not have a marriage certificate

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi all

I want to file for citizenship for my wife based on marriage , my question is we only have a translated copy of our marriage contract from egypt we never went to city hall to get legaly married here in the US so we do not have a US marriage certificate , so can we fill the N400 for citizenship with our translated copy of the marriage contract from egypt or we have to go get married in cityhall ?

Thanks

Mina&Mariam

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

You are legally married in the U.S. based on your Egyptian marriage.

Didn't the U.S. give your wife an immigration visa based on marriage to a U.S. citizen? The U.S. government recognized your marriage and that is why your wife got a spousal visa.

Send in a copy of your Egyptian marriage contact. It's legal in the U.S.

Best of luck

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Me and my husband have the same problem because embassy kept our translated copy even tho they say they didn't what I am having a problem with is changing my last name on social security they won't do it say I have to petition courts to recognize our marriage in state of California it's a crock of bull makes me so mad still haven't got my name change yet good luck

Married in Alexandria , Egypt wub.png 3/28/2013

I-130 Sent : 9/11/2013 to Chicago Lockbox
I-130 Received by Chicago Lockbox: 9/16/2013
I-130 NOA1 Electronic Copy Received and sent to NBC for processing: 9/18/2013
I-130 NOA1 Hard copy Received 09/21/2013
Expedite Granted at USCIS 10/18/2013
I-130 Approved 10/18/2013
I-130 NOA2 Hard copy received 10/25/2013
NVC Received 11/7/2013

Case Complete at NVC 03/14/2014

Expedite granted at NVC level 03/18/2014

Left NVC for Embassy 03/20/2014

Received by Embassy 03/24/2014

Received Interview date for 05/04/2014 :)

Visa granted 05/04/2014 :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.