Shaun and Steph

Questions about Medical/Interview and Packet 4

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

My Fiance and have just filled our paperwork from the DS-160. Our interview will be held in the US Embassy in Montreal Canada. The automated response and links (some broken links) left us more confused than we were and I was hoping someone could help with a couple of general questions we have at this stage in the process:

• The Interview, and medical Exam - My understanding from reading the Medical exam PDF is we need to scheduel the Medical Exam - AFTER- schedueling the visa interview. Is this correct?
  • We are seeing conflicting information bout when we are able to begin schedueling our exam/interview. When we check our case infromation on https://ceac.state.gov, it states we are able to scheduel our interview now, but the dates on this status preceeds us even recieving packet 3. Should we start schedueling now, or do we wait for a packet 4 via snailmail with confirmation before proceeding? We got an auto reply after sending the DS160 out, but it doesnt state it's packet 4 despite containing some of the information from packet 4.
  • We have been going through the process as quickly and careful as possible, but keep disocvering more and more requirements and it's slowing us down a bit. My I-797, Notice of actions tates that the ntoice is only valid from 5/27/15 to 9/26/15. This is approaching quickly, and we feel like we are racing agaisnt the clock. Do i need to go about extending the validity of this document? How do we go about doing this if so?
  • Has anyone had to provide information about medications to the medical exam before? What level of details is needed. Is perscription from your Dr.'s office enough?
Edited by Shaun and Steph

Shaun (USA) & Stephanie (Canada)

● First met online: 2008
● First visit (and first date): August 2009
● Engaged: January 1st 2014
● I-129F sent: April 15th 2015
● NOA1: April 22nd 2015

● NOA2: May 27th 2015

● NVC Received: July 1st 2015

● Consulate Received: July 8th 2015

● Packet 3 Sent: July 13th 2015

● Packet 4 Received: August 18th 2015

● Interview Date: October 2nd 2015 - APPROVED!

Visa Received: October 9th 2015

Border Crossed: October 15th 2015

You may have been going through the process TOO carefully. Montreal stinks at sending things via paper, most things are done via email now. You're actually a couple of months behind where you should be at the moment. I'm curious as to what requirements showed up that bounced ya'll back a couple of months. All the requirements are fairly simple and across most of the board for all consulates. The only thing that Montreal is stricter on is proving US domicille for the petitioner.

---

You're suppose to send packet 3 via email, according to your time line you should have been able to send Packet 3 in late June/Early July as that's when they should have had your case up in montreal.

Packet 3 looks like this. http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/Packet3-K1-MTL.pdfYou e-mail them at the address provided with the DS-160, Passport page, and checklist.

After packet 3 is emailed to them, THEY will email you back with an email. -THAT- e-mail is packet 4. The email back should take anywhere from 4 hours to 48 hours. The packet 4 pdf does NOT get mailed to you, it's simply there for info purposes. The email that you are suppose to get after emailing them packet 3 is what you take to both your medical AND your interview.

Yes you schedule your medical AFTER you schedule your interview because when you schedule your medical they will confirm your interview date. They will not schedule medical without having an interview date.

There aren't currently any interview appointments in MTL for September. You'll have to wait until Oct/Nov opens up. Since it will be past your time for your NOA2's expiration date, the canadian fiance will have to send a letter petitioning for an extension on the case. I'm not sure how to do it as we were able to schedule ours before our date, but I'm sure you can find a sample letter through searching VJ.

Just as a note, Montreal is NOTORIOUS for not sending anything via paper. We were lucky enough to get a paper packet 3 and it only took a week and a half from when Montreal recieved our case to get it. We had actually already completed and emailed our packet 3, and finished the packet 4 process before we got our paper snail mail.

As for the medicine, I believe the prescription from your doctors is enough.

Good luck on your journey! And remember, if it feels like it's taking too long, inquire inquire inquire! Post-NOA2 phase is the fastest in terms of getting things scheduled. All it is is paperwork, scheduling, and sitting back and waiting.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You may have been going through the process TOO carefully. Montreal stinks at sending things via paper, most things are done via email now. You're actually a couple of months behind where you should be at the moment. I'm curious as to what requirements showed up that bounced ya'll back a couple of months. All the requirements are fairly simple and across most of the board for all consulates. The only thing that Montreal is stricter on is proving US domicille for the petitioner.

---

You're suppose to send packet 3 via email, according to your time line you should have been able to send Packet 3 in late June/Early July as that's when they should have had your case up in montreal.

Packet 3 looks like this. http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/Packet3-K1-MTL.pdfYou e-mail them at the address provided with the DS-160, Passport page, and checklist.

After packet 3 is emailed to them, THEY will email you back with an email. -THAT- e-mail is packet 4. The email back should take anywhere from 4 hours to 48 hours. The packet 4 pdf does NOT get mailed to you, it's simply there for info purposes. The email that you are suppose to get after emailing them packet 3 is what you take to both your medical AND your interview.

Yes you schedule your medical AFTER you schedule your interview because when you schedule your medical they will confirm your interview date. They will not schedule medical without having an interview date.

There aren't currently any interview appointments in MTL for September. You'll have to wait until Oct/Nov opens up. Since it will be past your time for your NOA2's expiration date, the canadian fiance will have to send a letter petitioning for an extension on the case. I'm not sure how to do it as we were able to schedule ours before our date, but I'm sure you can find a sample letter through searching VJ.

Just as a note, Montreal is NOTORIOUS for not sending anything via paper. We were lucky enough to get a paper packet 3 and it only took a week and a half from when Montreal recieved our case to get it. We had actually already completed and emailed our packet 3, and finished the packet 4 process before we got our paper snail mail.

As for the medicine, I believe the prescription from your doctors is enough.

Good luck on your journey! And remember, if it feels like it's taking too long, inquire inquire inquire! Post-NOA2 phase is the fastest in terms of getting things scheduled. All it is is paperwork, scheduling, and sitting back and waiting.

First of all Thank you for your reply!

Our timeline still needs to be updated. We already have recieved the email you are referencing but were confused, since we knew from researching there is an actual Packet 4 PDF for montreal out there, and it states not to scheduel anything before recieving it. (http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/Packet4-MTL.pdf). We filed our forms as quickly as we could and followed the instructions. We did not recieve Packet 3 until Late July, and we needed time to gather documents (for the affadavidt) and to ship them to her before sending the email for packet 3.

We just went to: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-caTo scheduel our interview. We payed the Fee using my credit card. There are no dates available according to the callendar to select from. You stated that there aren't any apointments available for september so this isn't a surprise to me. How is it you knew there were no appointments for september? It appears the rest of the callendar is greyed out as well...

That's a huge dissapointment that our form is going to expire. We will get on sending this letter from the VJ example forms ASAP. Has any had any expierences with an expired form and requesting an extensions? I'm really worried this will prevent us from being approved after all this time.

Edited by Shaun and Steph

Shaun (USA) & Stephanie (Canada)

● First met online: 2008
● First visit (and first date): August 2009
● Engaged: January 1st 2014
● I-129F sent: April 15th 2015
● NOA1: April 22nd 2015

● NOA2: May 27th 2015

● NVC Received: July 1st 2015

● Consulate Received: July 8th 2015

● Packet 3 Sent: July 13th 2015

● Packet 4 Received: August 18th 2015

● Interview Date: October 2nd 2015 - APPROVED!

Visa Received: October 9th 2015

Border Crossed: October 15th 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Canada regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

First of all Thank you for your reply!

Our timeline still needs to be updated. We already have recieved the email you are referencing but were confused, since we knew from researching there is an actual Packet 4 PDF for montreal out there, and it states not to scheduel anything before recieving it. (http://photos.state....Packet4-MTL.pdf). We filed our forms as quickly as we could and followed the instructions. We did not recieve Packet 3 until Late July, and we needed time to gather documents (for the affadavidt) and to ship them to her before sending the email for packet 3.

We just went to: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-caTo scheduel our interview. We payed the Fee using my credit card. There are no dates available according to the callendar to select from. You stated that there aren't any apointments available for september so this isn't a surprise to me. How is it you knew there were no appointments for september? It appears the rest of the callendar is greyed out as well...

That's a huge dissapointment that our form is going to expire. We will get on sending this letter from the VJ example forms ASAP. Has any had any expierences with an expired form and requesting an extensions? I'm really worried this will prevent us from being approved after all this time.

Oh dear, you did it to the T. Most people don't actually have all the documents for the checklist when they fill it out.

I'd say maybe only a few people actually have everything they check off the checklist when they send the checklist back. Most get everything done (police check, ordering birth cert, etc) while in the wait for medical and interview. While it does say to have all of the stuff and check off what you have, at no point do they actually make sure you have it, as long as you have it by the interview then you're fine. We checked everything off because we knew we could get it all in time before the interview, so it sped things up a bit. I'll be sending my fiance all of my papers (fiance is the canadian) next week via express, so he'll still have all the papers a good two or three weeks before the interview.

As for knowing there's not any in Sept. I know they fill really fast, and we scheduled ours on July 24th for September 22nd. MOST of September was open at the time, but it was filling out very quickly by the end of July. Based on posters here, Montreal opens up dates usually towards the end of the month, but it could take a month or so before more date's open, and when they do they'll be Oct/Nov dates. There's also a few posters in the canadian form waiting for dates to open up. Myself and a few others seem to be the last ones here to snatch up the September dates before they got closed off/full. I've been stalking the canadian forums since we got our NOA2 to keep up to date on everything to do (the guides old, but new posters bring new info!), so most of everything I know is based off my and others most recent experiences.

From what I've seen on the forums, asking for an extension has never effected anyones case. A lot of people do it, even more so recently a lot of people who's case were "going to fast" have been doing it. It gives you an extension of your NOA2 for up to a year, allowing you more time to schedule when it's open. Once you're scheduled I believe it extends automatically, but not 100%.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.