Makemyownfate

CR-1Visa-criminal history

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on the site for a bit now and unable to find this speicific questions.

What exactly is needed for my husband (UK citizen) who has a criminal history?

My husband has visited me in the states under ESTA before and declared his past-could we take this as a good sign that his past won't be a problem if we are up front about it?

He told me of his past before we got serious, so there is no deception going on.

I'm still in the beginning stages of the CR-1, should I write a statement to confirm I already know of the criminal history?

Is the police certificate or whatever he needs to get included in the I-130 or at a later stage?

Thanks in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The type of criminal history is the most important piece of of information we need to know to help. The answers all depend on that. Either way a police cert is required...history or not.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on the site for a bit now and unable to find this speicific questions.

What exactly is needed for my husband (UK citizen) who has a criminal history?

My husband has visited me in the states under ESTA before and declared his past-could we take this as a good sign that his past won't be a problem if we are up front about it?

He told me of his past before we got serious, so there is no deception going on.

I'm still in the beginning stages of the CR-1, should I write a statement to confirm I already know of the criminal history?

Is the police certificate or whatever he needs to get included in the I-130 or at a later stage?

Thanks in advance.

What exactly is needed? At the beginning of filing your petition, nothing is needed.

By the time you get to the NVC stage, it may or may not be needed depending on the country and/or if he was found guilty.... It most certainly will be needed at the time of your interview.

We don't know if the visa-waiver program can be considered a good sign. Some criminal histories can make you ineligible at all for the visa waiver program. Can you tell us more about the criminal matters, how long it has been, what was the outcome?

You do not need to write a statement about whether or not you know about his criminal history ( it doesn't matter ).

The police certificate will be needed, but does not need to be included with your initial I-130 petition. However police certificates will be needed at the NVC stage. A police certificate will need to be obtained from every country you lived, except for the United States.

PETITION I-130

1/2/2015 - Petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox

1/6/2015 - NOA #1 Receipt

7/1/2015 - NOA #2 Approved

7/10/2015 - Email from Nebraska stating sent the case to NVC

NVC

7/16/15 - Case Received by NVC

7/30/15 - Case number assigned

8/3/15 - DS-261 Agent available

8/4/15 - DS-261 Agent completed

8/4/15 - AOS fee available & paid

8/6/15 - Check cleared the bank & bar-code cover sheet now available

8/13/15 - AOS Packet & IV Packet sent to NVC by priority mail

8/15/15 - IV fee available & paid same day

8/17/15 - NVC received package

8/19/15 - Check cleared the bank & DS-260 available & DS-260 completed!!! ALSO, we received email notification from NVC that they received package on 8/17

- Case completed at NVC

- Case sent to Embassy on this date

EMBASSY

- Embassy received packet

- Wife received Packet 3/4 Instructions

- Medical appointment

- Interview

Point of Entry

- Enter Austin, Texas

Very well. But even with that information being included in this post other questions still stand.

Is it still a police certification? It's not called something else? What other records or judgements have to be gathered? Does anything need to specify the criminal act? I do know police certification are needed either way... But I thought something more was also needed?

As for history-made investments that later turned out to be deemed not classified correctly so was fined heavily and now as a criminal record. No violence or drug acts.

I put the question in the region that it was directed at.

K not needed I initially, at what stage (not just NVC please) does the police cert need to be included? What form?

I put the question in the region that it was directed at.

K not needed I initially, at what stage (not just NVC please) does the police cert need to be included? What form?

He'll need to order a police certificate initially. https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

If the police certificate states anything other than 'no trace', then he will also need a subject access report. https://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx

These are sent to NVC (photocopies), with your AOS/IV package, and (originals) taken to medical. http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Edited by CJKylie

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

90 Day Window Opened.....08/03/17

I-751 Packet Sent................08/04/17

NOA Dated...........................08/07/17

NOA Received......................08/09/17

Check Cashed......................08/09/17

Biometrics Letter Rcvd........08/26/17

Biometrics Appointment......09/07/17

Approval................................08/05/19

Naturalization Timeline

Field Office: Santa Ana, CA

90 Day Window Opened.......08/03/18

N-400 Filed (Online)..............08/03/18

Receipt Notice.......................08/03/18

Biometrics Letter Rcvd..........08/20/18

Biometrics Appointment.......09/07/18

Interview Letter Dated...........07/01/19

Interview Letter Rcvd............07/08/19

Interview................................08/05/19

Approval................................08/05/19

Oath.......................................08/22/19

Adding on to CJKylie---Taken to the Interview as well.

UK police certifcates can have some charges or cautions which are stepped down or hidden. Thus a "no live trace".

The interviewing officer will need to see something with dates, charges...details. A subject access report would reveal things like cautions when there was no court appearance. If there was a court trial, something called a Memorandum of Conviction can be obtained.

The London embassy visa website says

"Court and Prison Records: If you have been been convicted of a crime you must obtain a certified copy of each court record and any prison record, regardless of the fact that you may have subsequently benefited from an amnesty, pardon or other act of clemency or the United Kingdom Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Court records should include: Complete information regarding the circumstance surrounding the crime of which you were convicted and the disposition of the case, including sentence or other penalty or fine imposed."

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So not a CIMT. Just wondering what it is.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.