stormnut42

Anyone recently have their interview at the Detroit office?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there,

Has anyone being sponsored under a spousal sponsorship to Michigan recently had their interview at the Detroit office? If so, when did you originally file your case? I filed mine, while inside the U.S. (Chicago lock-box to National Benefits Center) in February 2015. Last year, a Niece of mine went through the same process and got her Greencard in just under 4 months! I've just passed the 6 month point. I did have a couple RFE's and my last Notice of action on my I-485 was April 15, 2015. I contacted an immigration lawyer in the Detroit area and, not sure if what he said is true. He said that the Detroit office is mainly focusing on Naturalizations right now and only doing a few Adjustment of Status interviews at a time. Can anyone confirm this? I am somewhat doubtful that the Detroit office is only doing a few interviews a day. I have also contacted one of Michigan's senate offices to see if they can find anything out.

• 2 years later...
Timeline

I went for my Adjustment of Status interview in Detroit, MI almost exactly 8 months from the day I mailed in my forms........  I mailed my forms on February 6th, 2015 and had my interview on October 7th, 2015. Me and my partner were interviewed by a nice lady with some kind of European accent. I was approved on the spot. She said I would get my Greencard in the mail within 2 to 4 weeks. It actually came in just a week.  On the way home, my status updated to "Approved" and I actually got a phone call from the office of one of Michigan's U.S. Senators.  Debbie Stabenow's office called me (they had helped expedite my Work Authorization/Travel Document).  The lady I spoke with just wanted to let me know my status had changed to "Approved" and that she and the Senator wanted to congratulate me. So, that was nice.   

Timeline
12 minutes ago, stormnut42 said:

I went for my Adjustment of Status interview in Detroit, MI almost exactly 8 months from the day I mailed in my forms........  I mailed my forms on February 6th, 2015 and had my interview on October 7th, 2015. Me and my partner were interviewed by a nice lady with some kind of European accent. I was approved on the spot. She said I would get my Greencard in the mail within 2 to 4 weeks. It actually came in just a week.  On the way home, my status updated to "Approved" and I actually got a phone call from the office of one of Michigan's U.S. Senators.  Debbie Stabenow's office called me (they had helped expedite my Work Authorization/Travel Document).  The lady I spoke with just wanted to let me know my status had changed to "Approved" and that she and the Senator wanted to congratulate me. So, that was nice.   

*Oh!  My case could have actually been approved a lot sooner. I received 2 RFI's (Request For Information) after my papers were initially filed. The first was because they wanted my partner's 2014 tax records from Canada. Even though my partner is American they accepted his Canadian tax returns because he was living with me in Canada, prior to us moving to Michigan. He hadn't done his 2014 taxes yet and we didn't think U.S. Immigration wanted them because it was so early in the year when we filed my immigration papers. We had sent my partners 2011, 2012 and 2013 tax records from Canada. But, they insisted he get the 2014 taxes done and then submit them. So, that put my case on delay till they got those papers.  Then, we received a second RFI shortly after that.  This time, they wanted my partner's 2014 U.S. Federal tax papers.  When he lived with me in Canada, he still had to file a Federal tax form each year, even though he wasn't working in the U.S. at the time.  So, it was basically a form saying he had no U.S. income but, they still wanted it.  So, we sent the U.S. Federal tax forms and they starting working on my immigration case again.  So, if it wasn't for those two delays, I probably would have been approved a bit sooner.  **So, for those of you who are filing immigration papers right around tax time at the beginning of the year, make sure you get your taxes done and submit them with your I-864 Affidavit of Support forms!**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.