4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello,

My fiancee arrived a couple of days ago and yesterday we went to get our marriage license. A big surprise!! They asked if we wanted to get marry right away and we said yes, so we got married :)

We want my wife to change her last name so we are not sure how to go about this so It won't interfere with the next step which is requesting adjustment of status.

Do we need to change the name on our marriage certificate? Do we change the name at the social security office? How do we file the adjustment status under the new name?

Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can go to SSS and use the marriage cert to get a new card in her new name. For AOS use the new name but don't forget in the "other names used" block to put her maiden name. Easy as that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If your state does not have you list the name you will use after marriage at the time you marry, then it won't appear on the marriage certificate. This is ok and how many states do it. The marriage certificate will still act as proof of name change.

For the SSN, I would still apply for it in the maiden name right now, since that is the name that is the system for her currently. It is much easier to get the SSN in the maiden name that matches her passport, visa and I-94. You can go back and change it later once she has her EAD/AP or green card in married name.

File the AOS documents in her married name. Put the maiden name where it asks for maiden/other names used. The copy of your marriage certificate you must include will act as your legal name change document.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to AOS from Family Based Visas - topic is AOS, not K-1 ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What KayDeeCee said. This is exactly the situation we had. Michigan does not have a spot for the married name other than the signature. My wife applied for her SSN in her maiden name that matched her passport and I94, and filled out the AOS forms with her married name. Once she received her EAD in her married name, we changed her SSC and driver's license.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.