koja

SOS: i just missed my oath ceremony today, i dont know how to fix it

47 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone

i apply for US citizenship and receive the oath ceremony this afternoon. however, in the letter, it says the appointment was scheduled on August 12 at 8:30 am. I totally missed the appointment when i got the letter. i call the USCIS immediately and asked them if they can directly reschedule an appointment for me, they say that they cannot do that and ask me to mail the letter back with explanation. I try to search similar cases online, some people say that they receive letter from the USCIS about absenting oath ceremony and tell applicants what to do next. so do i need to wait for the letter or i just immediately send the USCIS letter and explain why i cannot attend the ceremony?

if i need to mail the letter with explanation immediately, i am not sure which address i need to put on the envelop, the location where i support to do the oath ceremony or the one is on the top of the envelop i received. Do i also need to fill out the oath form or leave it as blank. Also, after i mail the letter back, will I receive a confirmation letter or email. If not, how long will they mail me the new appointment letter. In addition, since i miss the appointment, will it cause any delay of my case or they refused to go over my case again.

sorry for so many questions because i already freak out and so worry about my case. can anyone kindly help me or give me some advises.

my location is New York City

thank you so much

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Wait --- You received the letter in the mail after the oath ceremony had already passed? Can you please give a better explanation?

If that is the case, then obviously they messed up by giving you the wrong appointment date?

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

i don't get? you received the letter on the day of the oath? obviously that's not your fault, were you checking the status online?

Edited by jacobson00

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are not the first this has happened to. Right a letter explaining what happened and mail it back to the address it has listed.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Wait --- You received the letter in the mail after the oath ceremony had already passed? Can you please give a better explanation?

If that is the case, then obviously they messed up by giving you the wrong appointment date?

they update the status on August 5. after that day, i keep checking my mailbox, but i do not receive the letter until today. i think either the USCIS or post office mess up, but i am not sure how to fix it. i am so worried about it now. and i do not think there is a way to provide that i receive the letter on August 12

You are not the first this has happened to. Right a letter explaining what happened and mail it back to the address it has listed.

so i need to send the letter with explanation immediately. because i saw some people say that after they missed the oath appointment, USCIS send them another letter and tell them what to do next. by the way, i am not sure which address i need to send the letter to. The address i am going to take oath ceremony or the address on the top of envelop that i received.

English is my second language, i am not sure how to explain the situation politely or in the right way

i don't get? you received the letter on the day of the oath? obviously that's not your fault, were you checking the status online?

yup, i receive the letter on the same day. i do check my case statue. it says that if i do not receive the letter by September 2, i can ask for another copy. i check my mailbox everyday since they update the status, but i do not receive it until today. i thought my oath will be after September 2 because the interview was scheduled one month after the deadline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You would mail it to the office that sent the letter.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

they update the status on August 5. after that day, i keep checking my mailbox, but i do not receive the letter until today. i think either the USCIS or post office mess up, but i am not sure how to fix it. i am so worried about it now. and i do not think there is a way to provide that i receive the letter on August 12

When you called USCIS, what exactly did you say? Did you only say you missed the ceremony with no explanation as to why? They might be able to reschedule over phone?

Baby what we have"

When you called USCIS, what exactly did you say? Did you only say you missed the ceremony with no explanation as to why? They might be able to reschedule over phone?

i did explain the situation to the officer. i tell him that i received the oath ceremony letter today around 3 pm. however, they schedule the appointment today at 8:30 am. so i totally missed the appointment. i said i ma not sure what to do next and ask him if he is able to reschedule an appointment for me. but the officer says he is not allowed to it and tell me to send the explanation letter to the local office.

should i need to call them again because at that time, i was so nervous. maybe he did not really understand me

Timeline

i did explain the situation to the officer. i tell him that i received the oath ceremony letter today around 3 pm. however, they schedule the appointment today at 8:30 am. so i totally missed the appointment. i said i ma not sure what to do next and ask him if he is able to reschedule an appointment for me. but the officer says he is not allowed to it and tell me to send the explanation letter to the local office.

should i need to call them again because at that time, i was so nervous. maybe he did not really understand me

I would try once more tomorrow, ask to speak to a supervisor, or someone higher than that (not sure of the exact title). If you do send them a letter, I would definitely make sure it has tracking. Your oath ceremony i'm sure is one of the most important things in your life right now! But don't worry, it wasn't your fault, you will be fine.

Baby what we have"

I would try once more tomorrow, ask to speak to a supervisor, or someone higher than that (not sure of the exact title). If you do send them a letter, I would definitely make sure it has tracking. Your oath ceremony i'm sure is one of the most important things in your life right now! But don't worry, it wasn't your fault, you will be fine.

you are right. if i do not attend the oath ceremony, they will not consider i am a U.S. citizen. and all i have done by now will be pointless.

so when i mail the letter, i need to buy a tracking number right? thank you so much for helping

Timeline

you are right. if i do not attend the oath ceremony, they will not consider i am a U.S. citizen. and all i have done by now will be pointless.

so when i mail the letter, i need to buy a tracking number right? thank you so much for helping

Exactly. But you're doing everything right, you asked for help on here, and you're getting things moving. If you waited a week or two I would say you're out of luck. But there is still time now. Definitely call tomorrow to get some reassurance that this won't negatively affect your chances.

You can go to your local post office and they will set you up with tracking for the cheapest possible. But it will be more expensive than regular mail. And of course you can use fedex or ups or another courier that has tracking.

Baby what we have"

Exactly. But you're doing everything right, you asked for help on here, and you're getting things moving. If you waited a week or two I would say you're out of luck. But there is still time now. Definitely call tomorrow to get some reassurance that this won't negatively affect your chances.

You can go to your local post office and they will set you up with tracking for the cheapest possible. But it will be more expensive than regular mail. And of course you can use fedex or ups or another courier that has tracking.

i will. really appreciate your help

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.