Robert1985

temporary residence, unsure how to proceed

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I started reading up on the topic but I have some questions. Hmm I better start by introducing myself.

I'm a 30yo canadian who live and work in Canada, about an hour from the border.

My future wife is a 25yo citizen and resident in Cameroon.

We are building a house in Cameroun to live after the wedding, but unfortunately HR at work won't allow me Remote distance working (although they allowed it to someone else in another department so I'll continue attempting to have that). At least I was allowed 1 month vacation. So after the wedding I'm returning in Canada.

We don't have fiancé visa in Canada and even though we'll apply for her permanent residence in Canada that will take between 13 and 24 months.

So what I was thinking, was to seek temporary residence in the US so that I can work in Canada but see my wife on evening/weekend. Even only doing that for 6 month out of the 13-24 month of the PR process would be a blessing. After 6 month we'd likely go back to Cameroon and see the family, unless we can first extend the US visa or manage to get an Early Entry clause on the PR sponsorship.

So a quick timeline is : have the wedding. mail the PR application to Canada (takes 2 week). Wait for approval of the Canadian sponsor which takes 2 month. Apply for US visa which takes 3 week for interview and sometime 2 month for administrative processing. At this point, 5 months have gone by in the 13-24 month process. Do 6 month in US and hopefully extend or get early entry to Canada. Ultimately if the PR is refused, then I'd move permanently to Cameroon, but after approval of sponsor and having clean medical and criminal check the chance of success is very good, it just takes time to process the applications.

I was told I'd be visa exempt, but it seem that is only for 90 day, so while a NEXUS would help cross the border I still need a visa. Can I apply jointly with my wife ? My wife by herself cannot apply, I think, because she has no employment. But she need to apply in Cameroon. And I guess I'd apply in Canada ? I wouldn't mind if I had to travel back to Cameroon to pass the interview with her. My big question is in the event I don't need to apply, then how to have the embassy in Cameroon consider her visa application as traveling/accompanying her husband as I'm the one making the household income. (she also have a relatively small income from homestead farming, and selling at the market, while she live in Cameroun)

We would be traveling together to the US, but we would catch up at the New York airport. And then while we'd be in Massena, I would go work in Canada. So I guess we fall under B-2 Visa. From what I read even if she take English as 2nd Language courses and Driving courses (because she only understand some English but doesn't speak it; and she want to learn to drive a car since in Canada I don't live in the city), it is still a B-2 visa.

I was looking at the visa application and it looks simple, compared to Canada, which is why I wonder if I missed anything. Applicants need to fill 1 form, have 1 photo, get interviewed, and bring along financial proof and home-ties proof. Ah that was another question. Her home-ties.... according to Canadian visa officers her ties are much stronger for Canada. So to the US officer, do I show she have ties to Cameroon, or will they see her ties to Canada as sufficient to show she'll leave the US ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

lots o detail in there,

but i swear, i thought, canadiens with canada passports can cross into usa and stay 6 months at a time without any other paperwork.

if the company has a usa office, i say instead apply for, chase after, a TN-1 visa for that usa office.

as to your future wife's arrangement in the USA, it all depends on the Vice-Consul during the interview, and his/her happiness with your future wife's ability to show strong ties to her country (not usa, not canada). Showing strong ties is important, as (by law) are tourist visa applications are deemed humans with immigrant intent, and that immigrant intent has to be overcome during the interview (or it's no tourist visa for her ! )

seems you have some time - I would suggest shoring up her proof of strong ties back in her home country prior to her visa application.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya Teddy B - what's up with that? I thought so also, but it seemed the OP had some other plan.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

Spouse from visa exempt countries (US, Bahamas, most of Europe, etc) are allowed to wait in, or visit, Canada during the sponsorship processing. But for spouses in countries that needs visa (Philippines, Most if not all of Africa, etc.), It is almost impossible to receive one while the permanent residence is underway, unless they can show home-country ties stronger than being spouse of a Canadian.

Yes the wedding is several months ahead. If she need to focus on Cameroon ties, I'll build up on that. I can easily get a PR for Cameroon, so she can show she not only have a house in Cameroon but also that her husband is a PR there.

edit : so I can cross for 6 months. That is good to know. I just need a visa for her so we can be closer.

Edited by Robert1985

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

From what you have said a US Visa will be very unlikely for her.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.