solus

Interview waiver a bad thing?

3 posts in this topic

Hi guy! My fiance entered Friday (finally!!!) and we are getting married this coming week. Luckily in my small town we get the certified copies of the certificate 30 minutes after the ceremony, so I can file AOS the following day. That being said, I'm already preparing the AOS documents to be prepared. I have a few question just to double check.

1) I have seen several mentions of people being worried because they received an interview waiver and delays, but no matter how many keyword searches I do I cant seem to find why this is. Can someone fill me in briefly on whats going on?

2) I have seen conflicting information about fees being required for the EAD and AP or not if filed with the i485. Are these applications actually free if filed with the complete AOS packet? The official fee schedule says I should not, but it is also from 2014. And if I do file all together do I need separate G1145s for each filing, or just one blanket?

3) Is there a sample form of the i131 somewhere? The instructions aren't very helpful. I don't know what to enter about the travel dates, places or purpose. According to the directions my fiance wouldn't even qualify as its not for work, education or humanitarian reasons, but I am sure its possible since so many people on this forum have been granted AP.

4) And finally, some people have included proof of a bona fide relationship with the AOS packet (joint bank account, lease, pictures, etc) with the AOS packet, others advise against it and just include the required documents. Does anyone here have experiences one way or the other to help me decide which course of action to take?

Thanks!!

Hi guy! My fiance entered Friday (finally!!!) and we are getting married this coming week. Luckily in my small town we get the certified copies of the certificate 30 minutes after the ceremony, so I can file AOS the following day. That being said, I'm already preparing the AOS documents to be prepared. I have a few question just to double check.

1) I have seen several mentions of people being worried because they received an interview waiver and delays, but no matter how many keyword searches I do I cant seem to find why this is. Can someone fill me in briefly on whats going on?

It's kinda random. So try not to think about it. If one day you get interview wavier, it will postpone your AOS journey usually by 6 to 12 months. It's really 50/50 chance.

2) I have seen conflicting information about fees being required for the EAD and AP or not if filed with the i485. Are these applications actually free if filed with the complete AOS packet? The official fee schedule says I should not, but it is also from 2014. And if I do file all together do I need separate G1145s for each filing, or just one blanket?

EAD and AP are free when applying with I485, I only filed one G1145, everything was fine.

3) Is there a sample form of the i131 somewhere? The instructions aren't very helpful. I don't know what to enter about the travel dates, places or purpose. According to the directions my fiance wouldn't even qualify as its not for work, education or humanitarian reasons, but I am sure its possible since so many people on this forum have been granted AP.

all the samples are here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples It will usually take less than 90 days to get EAT and AP approved. There is no reason your fiancee can't be approved.

4) And finally, some people have included proof of a bona fide relationship with the AOS packet (joint bank account, lease, pictures, etc) with the AOS packet, others advise against it and just include the required documents. Does anyone here have experiences one way or the other to help me decide which course of action to take?

I didn't include any proof. Personally I wouldn't include proof anyways, That might just increase the chance of you getting an interview waiver letter since they think you got enough evidence there. Of course, that's just my guess lol I wanted an interview.

Thanks!!

GOOD LUCK!!

K1 VISA

06/14/2014 I-129F sent       06/16/2014 Noa1         10/14/2014 Noa2        11/07/2014 Package3         12/08/2014 embassy interview / approved!!        12/10/2014 Visa in hand

AOS

12/31/2014 I-485/I-765/I-131 sent        01/06/2015 Noa1        01/30/2015 Biometrics        02/27/2015 AP&EAD approved       07/20/2015 interview(approved on the spot!)

ROC

4/26/2017 I-751 sent        5/12/2017 Noa1       10/15/2018 interview (combo)

Citizenship

4/22/2018 N-400 sent      4/23/2018 Noa1        10/15/2018 interview (combo)+Oath ceremony! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

1) When adjusting from a K-1, there is a chance to get approved without an interview. The only thing bad about it is that it can take longer than someone that gets that interviewed.

2) The current fee information can be found on the USCIS site for the I-485. The I-131 and I-765 instructions also state the fee waiver when filing those forms with a pending I-485.
http://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Please note that, if you file Form I-485 to adjust your status as a permanent resident on or after July 30, 2007, no additional fee is required to also file an application for employment authorization on Form I-765 and/or advance parole on Form I-131. You may file these forms together. If you choose to file the I-765 and/or I-131 separately after July 30, 2007, you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of an I-485. If you filed your Form I-485 prior to July 30, 2007, you must pay the fees associated with Forms I-765 and/or I-131 when you file.

Just one G-1145 attached to the top of your application paperwork.

3) AP is routinely approved for adjustment applicants. No explanation or reason is needed when filing the I-131 with a pending I-485 as an adjustment applicant, or to use AP. An adjustment applicant does not fill out Part 4 stating a reason and purpose of their travels, and you do not need to supply the extra statement. Leave date and length blank, then hand-write Unknown for those after printing out the form. Example forms are here > http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

4) The only proof of marriage needed with the initial filing is a copy of your marriage certificate. It does not help or hurt to send in extra documents that are not required.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.