modelgirl

Car help! Urgent!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

So I am seriously stressed out and confused. My husband and I are moving to the U.S. On Saturday. My mother is giving us her 2007 Honda Civic but we are terribly confused about what we need to do.

Do we need a letter from the car manufacturer?

Also, the car is just being signed over in my husband name on my mother's ownership papers but we are just getting temporary plates from Ontario (10 days). Is this all we need to cross into the U.S.? We are stopping in Colorado for two weeks (where the 10 days will expire and we may need to get a second set of temporary plates) before driving to our new home in California where we will get the car plated and complete the transfer process of the car from my understanding. Is this going to be an issue? I'm really worried about all this but from my understanding the temporary plates are far cheaper than having to get the car replayed in my husband's name both in Ontario and California.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We were in a similar "emergency" situation with my Fiance's 2008 Honda CRV. We worked with Honda Canada and they were great about getting a letter of compliance to us within 24 hours. Normal processing time is 8-10 days. We had to get the car to a dealer for a recall on a door latch issue, but as long as you have the letter from Honda Canada, and a title in your name, you should be all set. At first they said a K-1 Fiance visa was non-immigrant and therefore not allowed to import, but then he said it was okay after checking with his superior. We imported both our Honda and Ford F150. It was more difficult then the K-1 immigration part! And both vehicles were manufactured in the US! There is a form you need to fill out with the VIN, etc., (search VJ) and once at the border there is another form they provide you to fill out.

We had Ontario plates, but I also had an insurance binder for the US. As long as it's registered and insured you should be okay.

Good luck!!

As long as you can prove compliance with both DOT and EPA regulations, Customs will clear it, which is a hurdle with state registration. I recently imported a 2006 Hyundai I inherited. It was a major PITA, but eventually got it done.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks guys! Cyrene, how do you prove that? With the manufacturer letter?

Take the car to the dealer, have them run the VIN and close out any known recalls, recalls won't cost you

Contact the MFG for a letter to confirm compliance to US Safety standards

Then you need proof of emission standards compliance :

A Canadian vehicle is identical to a United States certified version if one of the following is true:

• The vehicle manufacturer’s United States representative has provided a letter of compliance that states the vehicle complies with all United States EPA regulations. Generally, EPA only accepts compliance information from the manufacturer’s United States or Canadian representative.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

I'm importing my Honda Civic and after you get your recall clearance letter (I called Honda Canada and gave them the VIN and they mailed the letter to me) I needed to scan that in along with my bill of sale, driver's license and ownership and email that off to Honda USA so they can send me the compliance letter. It'll probably take me 3 or 4 weeks I figure.

I think I read that you need both driver and passenger airbags to pass and my car doesn't have the passenger's so I fully expect to not be able to import my car, but hey, I have to try. :(

2015-03-07: Got engaged (L)

2015-03-30: Sent I-129F to Dallas lockbox

2015-04-14: NOA1 Packet received, sent to CSC

2015-05-07: NOA2 Approved!

2015-06-15: Received Packet 3 by mail

2015-06-17: Sent Packet 3 to Consulate

2015-07-14: Received Packet 4

2015-08-10: Medical in Toronto

2015-08-16: Received medical envelope

2015-08-24: Montreal interview- APPROVED!

2015-08-27: Visa arrives at Loomis location

2015-08-28: Visa in hand!

2015-09-17: Entered USA

2015-10-23: Married!

2016-01-11: Sent AOS Package I-485, I-765, I-131

2016-01-21: NOA1 Package received

2016-02-19: Biometrics

2016-04-01: AOS interview- APPROVED!

2016-04-07: 2 yr cond green card in hand

2018-03-12: sent ROC

2018-03-19: NOA date, 2018-03-24 letter rec'd

2018-05-18: Biometrics appt waived

2019-06-04 New biometrics letter received

2019-06-10 Biometrics

2019-06-18 ROC Approved
2019-06-25 10 year Green Card in hand

if it didn't come with something, it's not a big deal. If it did but that doesn't pass, that is a big deal.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.