hspfour

IR1 NAME CHANGE AFTER RECEIVING VISA

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

My wife and I were married in Cambodia 4 years ago. Per local custom/law, she did not change her last name. We have two children born of the marriage both of whom have US Passports and both of whom have my last name.

Due to changes in my circumstances we are now looking at moving to the US (with the kids). I petitioned for my wife and we now have an interview set at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh. Because we have a long term, legit marriage, kids, property, joint bank accounts, she has paid taxes for 3 years, etc. I do not expect that we will have any issues getting her visa and then green card.

Once we get to the US we would like for her to go by my last name (and the last name of our kids). We would like to do this as soon as possible so that she can establish a credit history, etc.

Because her name did not change when we were married (per Cambodian custom) I assume that she will need to petition the local probate court in Alabama (where we intend to live) for a name change. I suppose I will then need to inform the USCIS about this change.

If anyone has gone through the post-visa name change process I would appreciate insight.

Cheers

I got here in the US on June 2013 under CRI visa category, my husband and I got married in my country (Philippines) in June 2012, when he went back here, he immediately filed I-30 ( even though I asked him to wait for my name change passport etc.., but he said he can't wait longer), to cut my story short, I came here under my maiden name, my passport and green card, I tried to apply for name change when I apply for state ID, SSS,bank and at work, but they base it under my name on my green card, everybody say that I needed to wait for the immigration to change it.. On March 2015, we filed joint petition of I-751, the NOA1 I got is addressing me using my married name (thank God) so hopefully, when I get my new green card, it will be under my married name.

I hope I give you some enlightenment. Good luck to you and your family.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.