albertoavena

Raising a trilingual?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

I speak American, my wife is Japanese and we want to raise our child speaking 3 languages.

I can speak English and Spanish fluently, and my wife obviously Japanese but we really want to teach them to speak Spanish and English.

We will be moving to the U.S. pretty soon so his/her education will be in English but, as far as Spanish/Japanese, is it even possible to teach those 2 at home?

Anyone raising a trilingual child (or bilingual), please post your experiences.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well speak all three at home. When they start school since it will be English switch to Spanish at home from you and Japanese from your wife.

My father always spoke french and my mother always spoke English. We went to a French school no third language though.

I have cousins who's father spoke English did not know a word of french. Their mom still only spoke french to them.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have always focussed on English with a few Americanisms but have noticed as they get older they will just raise their eyes and use American.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i see nothing wrong with trilingual at home.

are you asking about teaching techniques, instead?

and fwiw, I've not spoken American in more than 2 decades now - it just seems too coarse coming out of my mouth.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Mini-Bone hears chiefly Spanish from Mrs. T-B. and exclusively English from me. He understands both.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...

Mini-Bone hears chiefly Spanish from Mrs. T-B. and exclusively English from me. He understands both.

I was told by my German teacher that Each parent should only use 1 language when talking to their child, otherwise they can mix the languages.

Nothing wrong with raising him using differents languages, just have to do it the smart way so they don't get confused.

August 2011: Started talking to Brian
June 1st, 2012: Started dating (L)
July 29th 2012: Saw each other for the first time, met Family
August 2013: Got engaged
July 2014: Sent 1-129F petition
July 29th, 2014: Received NOA1.
February 5th, 2015: NOA2!
April 16th, 2015: Medical in Montréal
May 15th, 2015; Interview- APPROVED!
June 22nd, 2015: POE at Champlain Border

September 4th, 2015: Wedding! :dancing:

AOS/EAD/AP

February 20th, 2016: AOS/EAD/AP Package sent! (Received 2/25, yay for USPS delays!)

March 4th, 2016: NOA 1 for all 3 applications

March 11th, 2016: Hardcopies with all 3 receipt Numbers received

March 30th, 2016: Biometrics (as a code 2, Maybe have to go again?)

April 25th, 2016: Walk in for the SECOND Biometrics appoinment (Code 3 this time, Officer was not the happiest but told us to come back at noon and he'd let us in.)

May 16th, 2016: Submitted Service Request for I-765

June 8th, 2016: Called USCIS concerning delay, officer put another request in and said the previous one would like be ignored as it was created through their website.

June 21st, 2016: Contacted both NY Senators.

July 1st, 2016: RFIE for I-485.

July 8th, 2016; Sent Evidence Requested by USCIS. (Received July 13th)

July 15th, 2016; Emergency Advance Parole due to Family Emergency

July 27th, 2016; Contacted USCIS Ombudsman as my I-765 has been pending for 5 months.

July 30th,2016; EAD/AP have been approved!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I want my children to speak both my language and my husband language. I went to a family home that just had two kids I asked how are they going to learn both. they said no matter what when they get to school they will learn English so the only thing they speak in the house is Amharic ( Ethiopian language) .. so right now both kids only know Amharic then once they start school they will learn English. so pretty much like others said above speak the language they wont learn in school at home more often then the one they will grow up learning anyways.

Edited by ItsGonnaBeWorthIt

USCIS : 7 months
Marriage : March 21, 2014
I-130 Sent : April 18, 2014
I-130 NOA1 : April 22, 2014
I-130 Approved: November 14, 2014 
after two service request

NVC6 months
Received : December 1, 2014
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : January 1, 2015
Pay AOS Bill : January 9, 2015
Submit DS-261 : January 7, 2015
Receive IV Bill : January 15, 2015 
called after AOS showed paid, they released it overnight)
Pay IV Bill : January 23, 2015
Send IV and AOS: January 29, 2015
Scan date: February 3, 2015
Checklist: March 19, 2015
 (only need to send south Africa police report)
Case Complete: June 3, 2015 

EMBASSY: 10 months
Interview appointment letter : December 4, 2015
Interview Date : January 21, 2016 
medical wasn't complete
Second interview date: April 4th 2016
Interview Result :APPROVED!!!

Visa Received : 4/13/2016 ( they sent us a email stating our visa was ready for pick up)

USA LIFE
US Entry :4/29/2016 
Social Security : 5/10/2016 (filed from the actual office)
State ID: 5/14/2016
Started working!!: 5/25/2016
Finally paid green card fee: 6/24/2016 ( note said we will receive it within 60 days)
Green card in hand: 7/5/2016 10 year green card we done!! 

1st king born: 6/30/2016

April 2017 update: Marriage still going strong, baby boy getting bigger. Life is good 

Timeline

Wow thanks for all the great responses! I will keep all these in mind when raising my children and thank you.

I also ran into this article a few days ago and thought you guys mind like it.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/08/12/418573924/a-kindergarteners-year-in-a-mandarin-immersion-school

It's pretty interesting so let me know what you think.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am interested in this topic as I have a lot of friends who married people from other countries. However, ALL of their kids speak English only even though the other parent tried to keep their native language instilled in the home.

Though my fiance is British, he loves the fact that I know Spanish and wants us to teach it to our children. How do you keep the foreign language fresh even though English is practically forced in our society?

Timeline

Good question.

In my case, because both my parents are Mexican, even though I was born in the US, they didn't know any English during that time and spoke to me in Spanish. Even to this day only Spanish but, the point I'm trying to make is, don't worry about English. They have TV, school, friends and other things they can learn from naturally so, I would concentrate on Spanish 100% at home. How's your fiance's Spanish?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Libya
Timeline

I have been a dual immersion (Spanish) teacher for six years now -1st grade. For highest success, one parent should speak only one language to the child. If this is not possible, the next best thing is to have designated language times at home.

When both languages are spoken by both parents whenever, it can potentially cause drastic confusion for the child and devastating academic results (if enrolled in a dual immersion program). I know this from first hand experience as a teacher.

My suggestion is that your wife speaks Japanese only, you speak Spanish only, and your child will learn English in school and by living in America.

There are many schools with immersion programs in the U.S., just be careful it isn't a bilingual program. They're very different. Dual immersion is structured so the child becomes academically proficient in two languages.

Bilingual is structured to eventually transfer a child out of the native language into English.

When I have children, I plan to enroll them in an Arabic immersion program. My husband will speak Arabic to them, I will speak Spanish, and they will learn English at school. I'm confident that as a teacher I can teach them Spanish so that is why I choose Arabic immersion and not Spanish.

19-Sept-14: I-129F Delivered

23-Sept-14: NOA1 (I-797C ~ Texas Lockbox accepted I-129F)

24-Sept-14: NOA1 (E-mail & Text)

Sent to California Service Center

3-Nov-14: Requested expedite by mailed letter with UN Human Rights Reports (Humanitarian Situation)

14-Nov-14: NOA2 (I-129F Petition Approved ~ E-mail & Text)

1-Dec-14: NVC Received Case

2-Dec-14: NVC Case Number Assigned

9-Dec-14: Embassy Received

3-Feb-15: "Package 3" Received/Turned In

25-Feb-15: "Package 4" - Received Interview Date

19-Mar-15: Interview ~ Approved

27-Mar-15: Visa Issued

Timeline

Thank you very much for your input and experience as a teacher.

I didn't know the difference between the bilingual programs and immersion programs.

I will definitely look into the immersion program if the city I live in offers it.

And speaking to them in our native language does sound like a good idea. I guess I was worried as to how good they would get only speaking it at home.

Even now for me, even though I only spoke Spanish with my family and received no formal education, my relatives/cousins living in Mexico speak way better than me and I also sometimes have trouble reading a newspaper.

But I'll look into these programs more and look at the best options for us.

Thanks and any more comments are welcome!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Most of the information we have read is that each parent should only speak to the child in their native language.

When our child is born I will only speak Dothraki and my wife will only speak Klingon.