Catendo

Co sponsor questions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone! First time here but ive been reading these forums and everone sounds super helpful.

To start off, im canadian and my fiance american, we're trying to gather info on how to start our k1 visa. Here's the thing, my fiance hasnt worked in a little over a year because after moving to Texas he went to massage therapy school. Last week he finally got a job but cant start until his school sends him his license. So we dont even know how much he will make a year yet. We were thinking of the co sponsor option just in case his salary isnt what we expect. The thing is, what does the co sponsor do exactly? Do they have to pay money for us or something, ive been trying to gather information on that lately but its still so blurry. We will have other questions on the k1 visa further on but our main concern right now is the co sponsor.

If anyone can clear things out on the subject would be awesome!

Catherine & Mark

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They are signing up to be financially responsible once you (the Canadian) arrive in the US so that you don't live off government assistance, need foodstamps etc...they are saying they will cover you so that you don't need to receive assistance which is meant for US citizens - that's the short version. By signing it, they are taking legal responsibility and it will be taken seriously.

Here's a tough question though - where will you live, how will you pay for food, healthcare (which is required for everyone), transportation etc....I assume once your fiancé gets working those would be covered...there are many fees coming up as you move through the immigration process...such as the $1000+ fee when you adjust your status right after getting married.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

My fiancé and I do intend to pay the fees. Its just that we were thinking of a co sponsor in case his yearly income might be just a little lower than the minimum required. We dont have a lot of options for who can be a co sponsor for us, so I was thinking of my mother who makes over the yearly income but she and I are worried she will have to pay everything for us because we dont want that. My fiancé and I will be saving up for months for sure, but does the co sponsor have to provide us money all the time or just for emergencies when we're having financial trouble?

Timeline

I believe the co-sponsor must be an US citizen...(someone chime in to confirm) wouldn't your mother be Canadian?

The co-sponsor is responsible to ensure you don't live off US government benefits. Immigration just doesn't want someone coming to the US who will then be a burden on the system - so you can't collect welfare or foodstamps or apply for government subsidized housing, that type of thing...if you cannot do it yourself the expectation is that you will fall back on that co-sponsor to fund it...how you choose to work it out with that person is your business

My fiancé and I do intend to pay the fees. Its just that we were thinking of a co sponsor in case his yearly income might be just a little lower than the minimum required. We dont have a lot of options for who can be a co sponsor for us, so I was thinking of my mother who makes over the yearly income but she and I are worried she will have to pay everything for us because we dont want that. My fiancé and I will be saving up for months for sure, but does the co sponsor have to provide us money all the time or just for emergencies when we're having financial trouble?

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Put another way, go with the worst case scenario - what if everything fell apart, would your co-sponsor be willing and able to pay for all your expenses until you got back on your feet? If not then your option would probably be to return to Canada so you don't become a burden. The co-sponsor is financially responsible for the non American (you)...not the US citizen (your fiancé)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Yeah i just checked it myself and it is US citizen only for the co sponsor. I just talked about it with my fiancé and he thinks of getting a second job at UPS (he has worked there for a couple of years) unless he wins enough at his new job, we'll see by then. We'll have to go with that since there arent too many co sponsor options on his side. But thank you so much for the help though!

Timeline

UPS night shifts got my husband through college...its a great option. Hope it all works out for you.

Yeah i just checked it myself and it is US citizen only for the co sponsor. I just talked about it with my fiancé and he thinks of getting a second job at UPS (he has worked there for a couple of years) unless he wins enough at his new job, we'll see by then. We'll have to go with that since there arent too many co sponsor options on his side. But thank you so much for the help though!

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.