alefonck

Overstaying tourist visa and doing consular processing with F2A

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

But isn't a waiver about the petitioner showing hardship and all that. How will a parent do that. Or is this different? Just needing to be educated. :goofy:

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

But isn't a waiver about the petitioner showing hardship and all that. How will a parent do that. Or is this different? Just needing to be educated. :goofy:

Well, according to the law a parent can do that. I'm guessing the reasons can be about separation anxiety leading to clinically diagnosed depression, what hardships moving to another country would bring. Having to send money abroad would be a financial hardship. I don't know, there are many possibilities. Health issues. The problem is that in my case I am 20 and could technically just move and live by myself without my parents so if anyone has any suggestions on how I could prove hardship, that would be great!

Filed: Timeline

Well, according to the law a parent can do that. I'm guessing the reasons can be about separation anxiety leading to clinically diagnosed depression, what hardships moving to another country would bring. Having to send money abroad would be a financial hardship. I don't know, there are many possibilities. Health issues. The problem is that in my case I am 20 and could technically just move and live by myself without my parents so if anyone has any suggestions on how I could prove hardship, that would be great!

This is where having a lawyer will help, and worth the investment to get it right.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is your Parents hardships not yours, you might want to start by asking them.

Begs the question what the plan was when you came here and decided to overstay? Seems a bit late to be asking questions.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It is your Parents hardships not yours, you might want to start by asking them.

Begs the question what the plan was when you came here and decided to overstay? Seems a bit late to be asking questions.

Unfortunately, it wasn't my decision to overstay, but my parents. I was underage and they were wrongly advised to come before filing because they could adjust status while in the US since they were both being petitioned by a US citizen. What they failed to realize is that this was not the case for me. I did my visa petition and recently found out I would have a 10 year ban and would have to apply for a waiver.

Bad move on our part, but it is what it is and now I can only work with what I got.

Staying here illegally is not really an option for me since I want to go to college, but staying in my home country all alone really isn't optimal either. I guess all I can do now is go to a lawyer and prepare a solid waiver with my current conditions.

Alefonck - your story is an unfortunate one indeed.

I am glad you have taken the advise given to you and will be going to an attorney. The attorney will guide you through and help you put together your case. There is a difference between understanding processing procedures and understanding the law. Hopefully, you will get a good attorney who will offer you both,

Stay positive and stay encouraged. Something tells me that you will go far.

I wish you all the best.

Priority Date - December 2, 2013

USCIS -

12/02/13 : NOA1 (Priority Date)

03/24/15 : Case Transferred from VSC to CSC

03/28/15 : Hard copy of transfer received in mail

04/14/15 : NOA2 ( I-130 Approved) - finally! (informed via text on 4/16/2015)

NVC -

04/29/15 : NVC received the case (informed during phone call to NVC on 5/01/2015

05/08/15 : Case number assigned and IIN (received via phone call on 5/14/2015)

05/12/15 : NVC Welcome letter mailed

05/19/15 : NVC Welcome received in mail

05/29/15 : DS-261 Finally Available on CEAC and completed

05/29/15 : AOS bill Available on CEAC and paid (status: IN PROCESS)

06/02/15 : AOS bill status: PAID

06/15/15 : IV invoice generated (notified by email) but unable to pay on CEAC...waiting...

07/05/15 : IV bill Finally Available on CEAC and paid (status: IN PROCESS)

07/08/15 : IV bill status: PAID

07/08/15 : DS-260 Available

07/12/15 : DS-260 completed and submitted

07/13/15 : AOS and IV package mailed to NVC

07/14/15 : AOS and IV package received by NVC

07/16/15 : Scan Date

07/28/15 : CASE COMPLETE - NO checklist! :dancing::dancing::dancing:London...here we come...!!

08/04/15 : CC Email received...waiting for Interview Letter....

08/11/15 : Interview letter (IL/P4) received ...interview date 9/11/2015! :dancing: :dancing::dancing:

EMBASSY -

08/11/15 : Case Shipped to embassy

08/12/15 : Case Arrived in UK (tracked on DHL website)

08/12/15 : Medical completed

08/14/15 : CEAC showing IN TRANSIT

08/18/15 : CEAC showing READY

09/11/15 : Interview date (initial)

09/08/15 : Interview date (rescheduled on 8/18/2015) - APPROVED :)

xx/xx/15 : Visa in hand
xx/xx/15 : POE....Dulles airport!

Alefonck - your story is an unfortunate one indeed.

I am glad you have taken the advise given to you and will be going to an attorney. The attorney will guide you through and help you put together your case. There is a difference between understanding processing procedures and understanding the law. Hopefully, you will get a good attorney who will offer you both,

Stay positive and stay encouraged. Something tells me that you will go far.

I wish you all the best.

it is hard to stay positive throughout this ordeal, but I appreciate the kind words.

Good luck on the rest of your visa journey as well.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

you have the same situation with my brother in law. he stayed in the us until his PD is already current under F2B. unfortunately for him, the lawyer said that since he overstayed his petition is already voided and he cannot adjust his status anymore. Its really advisable to get a lawyer's advise since this is really a hard situation..

(L) (L) (L) (L) (L) F2A Filler (L) (L) (L) (L) (L)

05/03/2014 - sent I-130 to lockbox
05/08/2014 - received NOA1 via email
08/27/2014 - received NOA2 via email

NVC STAGE:

09/28/2014 - received case number from NVC
06/24/2015 - received NVC Welcome Letter
06/24/2015 - done with ds261 over the phone
06/24/2015 - sent AOS Fee payment thru mail
06/29/2015 - Confirmed thru phone AOS payment posted
06/30/2015 - Sent IV Fee thru mail
07/07/2015 - IV Fee Payment already posted in CEAC
07/07/2015 - done with DS260
07/10/2015 - sent AOS and Civil docs
07/13/2015 - received in NVC NW
07/28/2015 - Verified Case Complete by phone
09/30/2015 - Interview Schedule verified over the phone

xxxxxxxxxx - Visa status " READY"
11/09/2015 - Interview at USEM

xxxxxxxxxx - received VISA

xxxxxxxxxx - POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Understand the hardship has to be on your parents. The US doesn't give a hoot about your hardship since you chose, or in this case chose to remain after you turned 18, in this country illegally.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

you have the same situation with my brother in law. he stayed in the us until his PD is already current under F2B. unfortunately for him, the lawyer said that since he overstayed his petition is already voided and he cannot adjust his status anymore. Its really advisable to get a lawyer's advise since this is really a hard situation..

Petition is still valid, adjustment is not possible.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Petition is still valid, adjustment is not possible.

Does it means my brother in law can still continue with his F2B case but needs to go back to his home country and cannot do adjustment of status? do you have any links as to where I can find more information about it? Thanks,

(L) (L) (L) (L) (L) F2A Filler (L) (L) (L) (L) (L)

05/03/2014 - sent I-130 to lockbox
05/08/2014 - received NOA1 via email
08/27/2014 - received NOA2 via email

NVC STAGE:

09/28/2014 - received case number from NVC
06/24/2015 - received NVC Welcome Letter
06/24/2015 - done with ds261 over the phone
06/24/2015 - sent AOS Fee payment thru mail
06/29/2015 - Confirmed thru phone AOS payment posted
06/30/2015 - Sent IV Fee thru mail
07/07/2015 - IV Fee Payment already posted in CEAC
07/07/2015 - done with DS260
07/10/2015 - sent AOS and Civil docs
07/13/2015 - received in NVC NW
07/28/2015 - Verified Case Complete by phone
09/30/2015 - Interview Schedule verified over the phone

xxxxxxxxxx - Visa status " READY"
11/09/2015 - Interview at USEM

xxxxxxxxxx - received VISA

xxxxxxxxxx - POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Does it means my brother in law can still continue with his F2B case but needs to go back to his home country and cannot do adjustment of status? do you have any links as to where I can find more information about it? Thanks,

Correct, he cannot adjust with the parents being LPRs. He has to do consular processing since he overstayed. If he had been in status when his priority date became current he would have been able to adjust.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Your BIL as a visa overstay can not adjust status in the F2b category.

Once he leaves the U.S., he will receive a 10 years ban if he overstayed more than a year.

The visa will be denied because of his ban.

He will have to serve his 10 years ban unless his LPR parents can show a hardship to one of them that qualifies for a waiver.

Additional question: Do you guys know if by the time my waiver is still pending approval and I turn 21, what would happen? Would my petition be voided or since it will be current does the age freeze?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.