passthehatchet

Cross-country move, plus removing conditions

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Hi guys!

I am currently in the 90 day window of removing conditions. My green card expires on the 19th of September. However, we are in the process of moving from eastern South Dakota to Washington state for work. I have all the paperwork together and all the evidence collected, but I'm not sure how best to approach the actual filing:

Option 1: I file now, move to Washington and then file change of address paperwork for myself and my wife.

Option 2: I wait a month, move to Washington and file with my current address, with approximately 10 days to spare before my green card expires.

One thing I have noticed is that both Washington and South Dakota use the California service centre, which seems like it would make things easier.

What do you think I should do? I appreciate any and all feedback/discussion. Thanks!

Totally an opinion of what I would do--

I would go with move first. File with Washington address. Then the NOA1 with extension, RFEs, or the card would reach you in a timely manner. Those change of address things don't always filter down to the right place. I have read too many who did a change of address, then the card still went to the old address. Get it perfectly prepared and ready to mail during the month prior to move. Do you know the new address already?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

I do not... which is the problem. We're still looking for a place, but we may not know our address until we actually get there. Which means by the time it all gets filed, it could get filed AFTER the green card expires.

I do not... which is the problem. We're still looking for a place, but we may not know our address until we actually get there. Which means by the time it all gets filed, it could get filed AFTER the green card expires.

Then you will have to go with the other option and hope the change of address works like it's supposed to. Do you have it ready right now so your NOA1 will get to you before the move? That's important because it is your extension when the card expires. It's two years of documentation to put together.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

I have already received my NOA1 so that's good. I'm leaning towards filing now. I'll make sure both my wife and myself file a change of address too, and then I hope at least one of them gets to the right place!

zkt101, do I understand correctly that I can schedule my biometrics and get them taken now, before I move?

I have already received my NOA1 so that's good. I'm leaning towards filing now. I'll make sure both my wife and myself file a change of address too, and then I hope at least one of them gets to the right place!

zkt101, do I understand correctly that I can schedule my biometrics and get them taken now, before I move?

You can't have your NOA1 yet if you haven't filed. It is the receipt that says they received your application. You will get that receipt and then wait on your biometric appointment notice. If it doesn't come before you move, you will have to sort that out for a new appointment notice in the new state.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Oh, my mistake. I thought you were referring to the reminder letter.

I've just noticed that I have a bigger issue anyway, the expiry date is wrong, both on the card and on the reminder letter. The day and month are switched (11/9 instead of 9/11). I didn't notice because, well, that's how I'm used to seeing the date. Time to make some calls...

Oh, my mistake. I thought you were referring to the reminder letter.

I've just noticed that I have a bigger issue anyway, the expiry date is wrong, both on the card and on the reminder letter. The day and month are switched (11/9 instead of 9/11). I didn't notice because, well, that's how I'm used to seeing the date. Time to make some calls...

So you have until November 9 to get your application in?

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

I don't want to risk it. Their records may state that I became a CPR on 9th November 2013 but I know it was actually 11th September 2013. And the letter was sent to me almost exactly 90 days before the ACTUAL date I became a CPR and not the one in their records.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.