WaitingEagerly

IR5 - mother, can stepdad and stepbrother come as well

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time using these boards - so I apologize if this question was asked before.

I'm a US citizen and I applied for my mother to come to the US and so far we are in the NVC processing phase. My question is about my mother's husband (my stepfather). I added his name to the paperwork as well as his son's (my stepbrother's) name.

Essentially - when my mother gets approved, can she bring my stepfather and stepbrother with her? Is there anything I can do for them as well?

Thank you for any insight.

Filed: Timeline

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time using these boards - so I apologize if this question was asked before.

I'm a US citizen and I applied for my mother to come to the US and so far we are in the NVC processing phase. My question is about my mother's husband (my stepfather). I added his name to the paperwork as well as his son's (my stepbrother's) name.

Essentially - when my mother gets approved, can she bring my stepfather and stepbrother with her? Is there anything I can do for them as well?

Thank you for any insight.

What age were you and your stepbrother when your mother and stepfather married? And what is your stepbrothers age at this time? Generally it would be faster for your mother to sponsor your stepbrother when she becomes an LPR.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Your mother can't bring her them with her based on the petition you filed.

If your step father married your mother before you turned 18 then you can file a separate petition for him.

Also, once your mother receives her GC, she can file petitions for your step father and step brother.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Timeline

What age were you and your stepbrother when your mother and stepfather married? And what is your stepbrothers age at this time? Generally it would be faster for your mother to sponsor your stepbrother when she becomes an LPR.

I was over the age of 18 when my mother married my stepfather. My stepbrother was under the age of 18 at the time of marriage. Thanks for the info.

If your step father married your mother before you turned 18 then you can file a separate petition for him.

Also, once your mother receives her GC, she can file petitions for your step father and step brother.

Ok thank you - sounds like we'll have to wait because I was over the age of 18.

Timeline

Do you know which petition would cover them?

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Children who file for their parents aren't able to bring their parent's derivatives (spouse and minor kids). But, if your mother's sibling were to petition for her then her spouse and child would qualify.

Since you were over the age of 18, you can't file for your step father.

Once your mother obtains her GC, she can petition for your step father and step brother. For your stepfather, it's about a 1.5 year wait after she petitions for him and it's the same wait time if your brother is under 21.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

The petition for your mother is only for her. Her husband and stepson are not included. There is nothing that can be done to add them.

You can not file for your stepdad because you were over age 18 when he married your mom.

Once your mom becomes an LPR, she can file for her husband and stepson. It will take 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Attempted thread hijack split to own post~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.