51 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Yes, that's why I was sure. Once upon a time, there were a lot more field offices!

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to call the Seville embassy, hopefully they will guide me or give me an appointment for the visa. Also with the guides here in forum and older posts, I feel I have all the info I need. Even though this is true, I hope you don't mind if I eventually ask something that's not clear. Once again, thank you :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to call the Seville embassy, hopefully they will guide me or give me an appointment for the visa. Also with the guides here in forum and older posts, I feel I have all the info I need. Even though this is true, I hope you don't mind if I eventually ask something that's not clear. Once again, thank you :)

Well first of all you have to petition through USCIS here for the fiance visa....you don't just go to the embassy. Unless you are trying something else and I misunderstood.

Well first of all you have to petition through USCIS here for the fiance visa....you don't just go to the embassy. Unless you are trying something else and I misunderstood.

I must have misunderstood the whole thing... I thought that since I am living here in Spain, I first have to go to the embassy and they will provide me with some guidelines of what I have to do in order to start the process. So I should refer directly to USCIS not to the embassy? How should I do it? What documents do I need? Is it everything on this forum's guide? Sorry to ask so much, but this is overwhelming...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I must have misunderstood the whole thing... I thought that since I am living here in Spain, I first have to go to the embassy and they will provide me with some guidelines of what I have to do in order to start the process. So I should refer directly to USCIS not to the embassy? How should I do it? What documents do I need? Is it everything on this forum's guide? Sorry to ask so much, but this is overwhelming...

At the top of the screen..click the guides button. You must be on a computer....

I guess the hardest thing to prove is the intent to live in the U.S. again. Right now I don't have any lease agreement, because during our first month there we will be looking for an apartment (we will be staying in my father's house). Also, I don't have a CA driver's license or evidence of the job (because I don't know if I passed the Bar Exam, I need to wait until mid November). Will it be enough if my father (and other relatives) write a letter saying that I intent to move to CA permanently in 2016? What other evidence could be helpful? When do I have to attach this information?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Did you read the Guides?

As a matter of interest which field of law did you study.?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Did you read the Guides?

As a matter of interest which field of law did you study.?

Yes I did read the guides.

You have to study the law that is studied in law schools (particularly for me was CA).

SUBJECTS TESTED:

*MBE Subjects: Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Contracts/Sales, Criminal Law/Procedure, Evidence, Real Property, Torts.

*California Essay Subjects Federal Civil Procedure, CA Civil Procedure, Business Associations (Corporations, Agency and Partnership, and LLC), CA Community Property, CA Evidence, CA Professional Responsibility, Remedies, Trusts, CA Wills and Succession, plus all MBE subjects.

For more info you can see this webpage: http://www.barbri.com/states/california/bar-exam/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OK

US is different certainly to the UK and most likely Spain. Spanish Legal system always confused me.

Often a shock to those coming here but rarely is the Government there to help you, they may process your application but for guidance you need a Lawyer.

Maybe one of the reason there are so many of them.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

OK

US is different certainly to the UK and most likely Spain. Spanish Legal system always confused me.

Often a shock to those coming here but rarely is the Government there to help you, they may process your application but for guidance you need a Lawyer.

Maybe one of the reason there are so many of them.

Yep, probably. I'm a lawyer here in Spain, and hopefully in CA too. I can definitely tell the difference but there are also a lot of similitudes.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I would suggest you sort out the tax issues first because your partner will be coming here based on your status.

Even if you are unemployed, you are supposed to file your taxes or file an exempt or file something. Not just ignore it.

Sorry, if I sound harsh.

As you go through the guides to find the best fit for your situation, don't forget to sort that out too.

Good luck! :)

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

No, you have to start the whole thing with USCIS. Basically, for either visa there is one end goal: to be given the type of visa that allows him to enter the country with the intent to stay. And there are two major phases to get that to happen. Phase 1: you ask the Department of Homeland Security (USCIS, specifically) for permission for him to apply for that specific type of visa. That's not the application for the visa itself, it's unlocking the ability for him to be able to apply for it. Phase 2: he applies for the visa (with supporting documentation from you) from the Department of State (represented abroad by the embassies and consulates).

Honestly, if I were in your shoes....I'd do the spousal visa. You can get married without having a wedding (and have the wedding later). I know it sounds un-romantic, and I really feel you there. If you really aren't ready to take the marriage step, and want a few more months to think about it, that's one thing (and I also understand that. That factored into our decision making, too). But if it's just about planning a wedding, and you're ready for the legal step....I'd do the courthouse ASAP and plan a wedding for later. It could wind up saving you a lot of money and hassle (this, coming as a fiance visa applicant).

The main bonus for the fiance visa is that they're typically faster than spousal visas--anywhere from 4 to 10 months but pretty much guaranteed under a year. Spousal visas are harder to predict the timeline but typically take a year or more. But you're not looking to move for another year, so it doesn't totally matter which one you go for (and if you're one of the people who gets lucky and flies through this process, you may wind up needing to apply to extend the validity of the visa, or otherwise slowing down the process. Not difficult, but just another thing to worry about).

The big bonus of the spousal visa is that it comes with a green card automatically. The fiance visa does not (literally, all that visa is is permission to enter the country to get married and stay. It doesn't guarantee the ability to stay, or work. Just permission to come here with the intention to apply to live and work). For fiance visa, you then have to apply for that permission to live and work in the US-- to "adjust status" to that of a green card holder. It takes a few months from the time of application for the work authorization to come through, and about a year from the date of application. And remember, you can't apply for any of this until you're married. So....imagine. You land in the US, have your wedding in 2 or 3 months THEN apply for AOS, then wait another 2 or 3 months for work authorization. That's up to 6 months of him not having a job. Whereas with spousal visa, he'd be able to work the day he lands.

The fiance visa process is also almost $1000 more expensive than the spousal visa process. And includes a prolonged period of unemployment for the foreign national. The visa makes a lot of sense for a lot of people (myself included), and the money is not a concern, our focus was the speed of the visa. I'd make the same decision for myself all over again. But your situation sounds a bit different (because you're living together and are a year away from your desired immigration).

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

No, you have to start the whole thing with USCIS. Basically, for either visa there is one end goal: to be given the type of visa that allows him to enter the country with the intent to stay. And there are two major phases to get that to happen. Phase 1: you ask the Department of Homeland Security (USCIS, specifically) for permission for him to apply for that specific type of visa. That's not the application for the visa itself, it's unlocking the ability for him to be able to apply for it. Phase 2: he applies for the visa (with supporting documentation from you) from the Department of State (represented abroad by the embassies and consulates).

Honestly, if I were in your shoes....I'd do the spousal visa. You can get married without having a wedding (and have the wedding later). I know it sounds un-romantic, and I really feel you there. If you really aren't ready to take the marriage step, and want a few more months to think about it, that's one thing (and I also understand that. That factored into our decision making, too). But if it's just about planning a wedding, and you're ready for the legal step....I'd do the courthouse ASAP and plan a wedding for later. It could wind up saving you a lot of money and hassle (this, coming as a fiance visa applicant).

The main bonus for the fiance visa is that they're typically faster than spousal visas--anywhere from 4 to 10 months but pretty much guaranteed under a year. Spousal visas are harder to predict the timeline but typically take a year or more. But you're not looking to move for another year, so it doesn't totally matter which one you go for (and if you're one of the people who gets lucky and flies through this process, you may wind up needing to apply to extend the validity of the visa, or otherwise slowing down the process. Not difficult, but just another thing to worry about).

The big bonus of the spousal visa is that it comes with a green card automatically. The fiance visa does not (literally, all that visa is is permission to enter the country to get married and stay. It doesn't guarantee the ability to stay, or work. Just permission to come here with the intention to apply to live and work). For fiance visa, you then have to apply for that permission to live and work in the US-- to "adjust status" to that of a green card holder. It takes a few months from the time of application for the work authorization to come through, and about a year from the date of application. And remember, you can't apply for any of this until you're married. So....imagine. You land in the US, have your wedding in 2 or 3 months THEN apply for AOS, then wait another 2 or 3 months for work authorization. That's up to 6 months of him not having a job. Whereas with spousal visa, he'd be able to work the day he lands.

The fiance visa process is also almost $1000 more expensive than the spousal visa process. And includes a prolonged period of unemployment for the foreign national. The visa makes a lot of sense for a lot of people (myself included), and the money is not a concern, our focus was the speed of the visa. I'd make the same decision for myself all over again. But your situation sounds a bit different (because you're living together and are a year away from your desired immigration).

Sorry, I left something out. It's a few months for the work authorization and about a year for the full green card. I accidentally left that part out. The rest of the times are still more or less accurate.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

I would suggest you sort out the tax issues first because your partner will be coming here based on your status.

Even if you are unemployed, you are supposed to file your taxes or file an exempt or file something. Not just ignore it.

Sorry, if I sound harsh.

As you go through the guides to find the best fit for your situation, don't forget to sort that out too.

Good luck! :)

I really don't know how the tax goes over there, but I imagine that if I have never worked (made any money) I don't need to file anything (at least here in Spain is like that). Is it that when you turn 18/21 years automatically you have to file taxes even if you never had a job? Also Spain and U.S. have a dual taxation treaty, but that will entry into game if I ever have worked here in Spain. Maybe I'm wrong...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

As a lawyer you shouldn't have a problem going through with this then. Just read the guidelines and fill out the paperwork.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Sorry, I left something out. It's a few months for the work authorization and about a year for the full green card. I accidentally left that part out. The rest of the times are still more or less accurate.

Thank you very much for your reply (and to everyone that have tried to help me out here). For us I don't think that the marriage visa is the best option, since by July 2016 we have to be in CA (I can't risk to be late on that) and it sound like (normally) the marriage visa takes way longer that the fiancé one. For us is not a problem that he does not have a job, since he has to study to sit for the exam to be a nurse in CA (he is already a nurse in Spain) and he will need time for that (and adjusting to the U.S.).

My main issue is how do I document the fact that I want to live again in the U.S....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.