james10

Please help - qualifying experience question!

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi I was selected for a diversity visa but I dont have access to my education from country of origin. I am trying to use my experience as a restaurant owner. Is there an occupation that qualifies on the required level for that. I have managed the books, day to day operations, accounting etc of my business for many years. Any experience with this.

Also can my spouse who has a college degree qualify instead? The lottery was in my name however so I dont think that's an option.

Please help. Thank you kindly.

Hm, it's pretty difficult qualifying on work experience and no, you can't use your spouse. May I ask what the problem is with respect to getting a copy of your high school qualification ?

This is the closest I could find to what you describe. It includes the accounting etc functions. The job is below the level required for DV qualification unfortunately so would not be eligible.

http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/11-9051.00

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Restaurant Owner covers a very wide area, none have a direct relationship to education level.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Restaurant Owner covers a very wide area, none have a direct relationship to education level.

It's the o*net job classification that matters if one is trying to qualify for DV on work experience rather than education.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was not clear, being an owner is not a job. A 2 year old could own a restaurant.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I was not clear, being an owner is not a job. A 2 year old could own a restaurant.

Yes, although to be fair he did give examples of what he did, and the o*net listing I linked through to was "food service manager" which seemed to include the range of things the OP said he did. However it is job zone 3 and SVP 6- <7 which fall below the DV requirememts.

Indeed, a 2 year old rich enough to own a restaurant would probably go straight for an EB5 visa rather than entering lotteries :)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Is it necessary to provide proof of experience for misc. jobs that we did in the past (say like a shop clerk) and are not related to the job zone qualifications?

* I have listed those jobs in the ds-260 form.

Thanks.

Edited by Alex Ve

Is it necessary to provide proof of experience for misc. jobs that we did in the past (say like a shop clerk) and are not related to the job zone qualifications?

* I have listed those jobs in the ds-260 form.

Thanks.

Are you trying to qualify on work experience then?

In any case I would think there's no point. It's not going to make any difference to your application. If you're going the work experience route it's only relevant proof they need, but make sure you really have enough.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Are you trying to qualify on work experience then?

In any case I would think there's no point. It's not going to make any difference to your application. If you're going the work experience route it's only relevant proof they need, but make sure you really have enough.

No, I'm qualifying on education.

Timeline

I went today on the interview to the embassy in Greece. The CO accepted my education and work experience (my only proof were two letters from an ex employer and my current employer with the companies stamp).

The waiting time was very big since I got in the embassy till I left, the whole proccess took nearly 4 hours to complete.
They asked me some questions about my previous travel in the US and where am I planning to stay to, and they didn't ask for bank statement or sponsor form. The more stressful thing was when they asked for exact days that I went to school from elementary till high school. Cause I didn't remember well the dates and I was afraid that the CO would perceive that as me trying to lie or something.
Because I thought that the high school diploma is enough, I didn't bring with me the elementary diploma (stupid mistake). Fortunately I explained them that since I presented them the high school diploma, it is obvious that I had completed elementary successfully.
Now, the only problem is that I have to present until Friday the birth certificate of my birth country (I was born in Albania), cause the one I had was issued on May 2014 and that document must be valid for one year. So, I hope that by thursday or friday I will take it to the embassy, or else my visa will be canceled. Fortunately, they facilitated me and told me to bring it by myself in the embassy instead of the usual procedure that is with DHL courier, so that I don't delay it more.
*They didn't ask me for the copies of my documents and they kept the originals when I presented to them.
Will I get them on friday when I give them the missing birth certificate?
Thanks

Timeline

OK I just returned from the embassy. The employee seemed to accept my new issued birth certificate and she informed me that in about two weeks I shall receive my passport and visa along with the original documents via DHL, although she didn't assure me that I would indeed get a visa.

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

Because I thought that the high school diploma is enough, I didn't bring with me the elementary diploma (stupid mistake). Fortunately I explained them that since I presented them the high school diploma, it is obvious that I had completed elementary successfully.

- In that case if one has a degree, is it still necessary to bring the elementary and high school leaving cert?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.