chooky

Working Mothers in America

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

My husband and I are hoping to be approved soon for his immigrant visa. I haven't lived in the USA for over 8 years now (I left in my 20s).. My husband is planning on getting an MBA in the USA to improve his career opportunities so in the meantime I will probably be the primary breadwinner (I worked in the USA for 2 years before leaving). I have a masters degree and work experience, but we also have a baby at home.

My questions for working mothers with degree based jobs - how difficult was it to find a high paying job that let you have flexible hours (not the typical 9-5 but maybe even 7-3?)... In addition, after asking friends in the USA I am still confused about maternity leave - is it 6 weeks paid, 6 weeks unpaid? Are employers flexible about taking additional time off without pay?. As in, is there even an option to take 6 months leave without pay - or will they simply fire you?

Thank you in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

12 total weeks not required to be paid though....and that only applies to companies of 50+ employees. Federal employees get but six weeks paid leave.

Edited by Shauneg

There isn't any rules with regards to maternity leave. Some companies will offer few weeks paid others don't. Here is some info about short term disability and family leaves as well.

http://americanpregnancy.org/planning/maternity-leave/

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Rather depends on what field you are in and how important you are to the organisation.

If I read your post properly you have a baby, so not sure where the question comes in about maternity if you are going to be the bread winner.

Is your plan for your husband to provide child care.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

We will eventually want another baby,.. :) just thinking ahead. Both my husband and I plan on working and sending our existing baby to daycare... As for the breadwinner part, it will probably be easier for me to find a job over my husband.

Edited by chooky

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I remember reading the CEO of Yahoo set up a Nursery next to her Office so it can be done.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Maternity leave will vary significantly from company-to-company and each state has specific rules about what portion of your pay would be covered by the state disability and family leave laws, you should look up what it is for Pennsylvania (assuming that is where you wish to live). In terms of whether you would get fired, that also varies from state-to-state, for example, it may be that you can be on leave without pay for a number of months and the different scenarios include:

• Your original position is held open for you to return to
  • Your original position is not guaranteed, but you will get a comparable position
  • Your original position is not guaranteed, but you will get another position

You need to understand the exact policies of the company in conjunction with your state.

In terms of flexibility within different jobs, it is possible, some companies will offer flexible work arrangements, it also depends on what sort of degree and work experience you've had. For example, if your profession requires to have constant interaction with clients, colleagues, then having flexible work arrangements may be more difficult. Even for companies with flexible programs, you might be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Unless you are in a highly specialized field with high demand/low supply of candidates, 2 years of work experience may limit your ability to get a high paying job. For example, I am in the finance field, and you will generally start to earn higher income at the manager level, which requires at least 5+ years of experience.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Also, with that 12 week leave law, even if the company is big enough to be required to give you 12 week leave, they only have to do that with employees that have been at that job for at least one year. People with less time on the job don't have to be given the 12 week leave. But if you prove yourself valuable enough, companies recognize that, too, and will work with you so they can keep you.

K-1 Application sent 2-16-16

Received at Dallas lockbox 2-18-16

NOA1, sent to California 2-23-16

NOA2 4-21-16

NVC shipped to Manila 5-12-16

Consulate received 5-16-16

US Embassy Interview -- APPROVED!!! 8-24-16 :dancing: :joy: :dancing:

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Daycare is very expensive! $230 per week for infant 0-12 months; you can't simply to trust those without license and advertised in Craigslist (lot of scams too). To pregnant, to give birth & to raise a child is very expensive here in US, that caused the local production decreased and import increased (look at the immigrants, refugees & lottery Visa the country bringing in, each year).

My boy just turned to 3m and I hv hard time to back to work. Lol... wish my hubby can effort to have me as full time mom instead of working mom.

12.15.2009 - Meet through online games, he is my Hero star_smile.gif

02.14.2010 - Dating

12.22.2010 - First meet@London (My first white Christmas)

[Long.distance: Skype, Whatsapp, Messenger, eCard, eGifts]

12.29.2011 - He visit my parents@Kuala Lumpur

02.20.2013 - B2 Rejected crying.gif

06.19.2013 - K1 visa application documents mailed to John

12.20,2013 - Packet 3 received

05.20.2014 - Checklist and DS-230 sent

06.25.2014 - Packet 4 (Appointment letter) received

07.02.2014 - Medical Exam

07.11.2014 - Medical Exam result received

07.15.2014 - Final Interview

07.18.2014 - K1 visa secured

09.12.2014 - Landed Chicagoland

10.10.2014 - Married in Court House :content:

11.15.2014 - SSN with name changed obtained

12.08.2014 - AOS Files Sent

01.08.2015 - Bio Appointment

02.12.2015 - I-765 & I-131 approved!

02.23.2015 - Employment Authorization Card received

as1cHhSB0361800MTAwNDcxNGx8NTQ1MjgxbHxEY

as1cR2SoSf-1800MTAwMzVsfDQ1NTQ4MTlsc3xDb

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.