47 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Which State will you get married in, then? You'll need to find one where it is both legal and you can both meet whatever specific state requirements there may be. You'll have to research that, too.

Also, have you met face to face?

I will marry her in my country(outside the US), and live together normally, then when CR-1 is approved, we can go to Ohio.

I will marry her in my country(outside the US), and live together normally, then when CR-1 is approved, we can go to Ohio.

Live together normally where? In your home country? That's fine, but you'll need to take a look at the I-864 information and ensure that she will meet the requirements for US domicile (or re-establishment of) if she leaves the USA to live with you in order for you to get your US visa.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Certainly living together as husband and wife is most important, but if we can live in the US it would be better future for our kids.

ok - what's her father say about all of this?

and what's _YOUR_ father say about all of this ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

if she has been living in ohio her whole life, and just came to my country to marry and live with me for the duration for CR-1 to be approved, why would that mean that she left US permanently?

she still has her whole family there and her life is there, she can't live in my country for good.

please read this(from us embassy website)

"In order for an application for an immigrant visa to be approved, the petitioner, whether a United States citizen or a permanent resident, must be domiciled in the United States. That is, while a petitioner may spend a significant amount of time abroad, he or she must demonstrate that his or her life is based primarily in the United States and will be for the foreseeable future.
The reason for this requirement is simple: immigrant visas are intended to reunite families. There is no reunification to be accomplished - and therefore no reason to issue an immigrant visa - if the petitioner is not residing in the country to which the applicants intend to move".

ok - what's her father say about all of this?
and what's _YOUR_ father say about all of this ?

both my family and her family are excited to get married.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

yup - you've stumbled across a big problem for domicile. Kudos !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Could she move to a neighboring state that allows cousin marriage and still be close to her family?

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

if she has been living in ohio her whole life, and just came to my country to marry and live with me for the duration for CR-1 to be approved, why would that mean that she left US permanently?

she still has her whole family there and her life is there, she can't live in my country for good.

Right. The burden of proof will be on her to show that she has not left permanently, and that she does still have a residence in the USA.

Remember, the entire I-130 petition + CR-1 process can take a year or more for some people. It may not be a short stay if you do not wish to be separated after marriage in your home country.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

ok, lets say she came to my country, married me, then left after like 6 months, would that be ok for domicile?

Also can anyone confirm that if we married outside of ohio(in another country), they won't void the marriage?

where to check for cousin marriage subject and laws?

Edited by jhafner

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

I think domicility just needs to be established before the immigrant comes to the USA. So if she maintains all her ties and residence then it should be fine.

If cousin marriage is legal in your country and you are given a marriage certificate then it should be deemed legal by USCIS. http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86920.pdf

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

you cannot lie to immigration or anyone else, if you are first cousins you MUST disclose it. Material misrepresentation is a big no no

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Marriage to your first cousin is prohibited in Ohio

look on internet and see states allowed / i allows if you are over 65 and can not have children

but more than half so NO

it is under a site called state laws requarding marriage between cousins

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi;

Thanks for your reply. Tourist visa is not an option since I live in a third world country. If she came to my country and we got married, what are our options then?

What makes you say that the thrid world countries can't have a tourist visa ? If you have a good job in your country, they won't deny your tourist visa. I'm from Morocco, and I had a 10 years tourist visa. As a lot of friends there. And if you are still student, your parents can support you for a tourist visa, my parents were my sponsors for the visa. It was very smooth. It doesn't matter where you are from, since you proove you have enough money for your stay and strong ties to your country...(school and parents support or a good job)

Edited by chsim

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Aside from it being against the law I'm sure that is one huge red flag to overcome. Marrying a family member has got to be one of the highest fraud factors. Not saying this case is that, but I don't think you will have an easy path OP.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Aside from it being against the law I'm sure that is one huge red flag to overcome. Marrying a family member has got to be one of the highest fraud factors. Not saying this case is that, but I don't think you will have an easy path OP.

Actually in some cultures it is very common to marry your first cousin or otherrelative, and it would actually be less of a red flag than to marry someone who isn't a relative or of the same culture. To the OP, you could put in an inquiry to your relevant embassy to ask about the first cousin marriage question.
Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

I think you will be okay as long as you get married some place where it is legal to marry your first cousin...Ohio should accept your marriage. I would suggest this might be the time where a lawyer should be consulted.

As far as red flags are concerned, I would not worry. You cannot change who you are or who your fiancee is...be sure you have a wide variety of evidence to prove your relationship, carefully filled out forms, and a strong AOS. I would expect the CR1 to take between 8 months and 14 months.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.