theanswerisdance

Returning to Canada to visit after getting AP or Green Card

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been trying to find this topic already answered but am having a hard time. I have been granted AP and have my AOS interview at the end of August. I'm planning to go back to Canada to visit family and friends. This may be a dumb question, but how do I fill out the Canadian customs form and proceed through customs when I arrive? I know I would technically be a visitor there now, but I have a Canadian passport and am a Canadian citizen. Do I enter through the visitors' line now? Do I need to show my AP (or GC if I get it before I visit) on the Canadian customs side, or is that just when I return to the U.S.? Will the Canadian side ask to see any proof that I have ties to return to the U.S. (the way the U.S. side often does when we're coming to the States as visitors) or does the Canadian side care about ties to the U.S. since I'm a Canadian citizen anyway? Just a little confused how this works...

Thanks everyone!

I've been trying to find this topic already answered but am having a hard time. I have been granted AP and have my AOS interview at the end of August. I'm planning to go back to Canada to visit family and friends. This may be a dumb question, but how do I fill out the Canadian customs form and proceed through customs when I arrive? I know I would technically be a visitor there now, but I have a Canadian passport and am a Canadian citizen. Do I enter through the visitors' line now? Do I need to show my AP (or GC if I get it before I visit) on the Canadian customs side, or is that just when I return to the U.S.? Will the Canadian side ask to see any proof that I have ties to return to the U.S. (the way the U.S. side often does when we're coming to the States as visitors) or does the Canadian side care about ties to the U.S. since I'm a Canadian citizen anyway? Just a little confused how this works...

Thanks everyone!

Hi Your AP Card or G/C is only needed to when you return to the USA, as it's your prof of your entitlement to enter the USA as a resident.

As for entering Canada you will be doing so as a Canadian Citizen not a visitor.

Brian

Edited by blk

AOS

Feb 3rd 2014 sent AOS pack I-130, I-485, 
Feb 17th 2014 Received NOA1 x 3 NOA1 date 5th Feb 2014
Feb 22nd 2014 Received biometrics appointment for 7th March 2014 at 3pm
Feb 27th 2014 Did early walk in for Biometrics successfully
March 17th 2014 Received text & email with interview date on 22nd April 2014

March 18th 2014 Received interview letter in post with time & place, 2.15pm at Mt Laurel NJ
April 16th 2014 Received EAD card
April 22nd 2014 Had AOS interview at Mt Laurel NJ APPROVED
April 22nd 2014 Text & email Case Status: Card / Document Production
April 26th 2014 Received my Green Card today
Total time from Application to Approval 11 Weeks & 1 Day
ROC
Feb 9th 2016 I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center
Feb 11th 2016 I-751 package received at VSC
Feb 17th 2016 Cheque for $590 cashed

Feb 19th 2016 Received I-797 NOA Dated 02/12/2016

March 8th 2016 Biometrics Appointment at 10am. (Done)

April 14th 2017  I-551 stamp in passport 

April 27th 2017 Received text & email Card/Document Production

May 3rd 2017 Received 10 year Green Card today   

N-400

March 7th 2017 N-400 sent to Dallas TX 

March 10th N-400 Application received

March 15th Cheque for $725 cashed

March 20th received NOA1 dated March 15th

March 24th received biometrics appointment for 04/05/17

March 28th did early walk in for biometrics 

October 10th received Citizenship Interview letter

November 13th Citizenship Interview at 10 am Mount Laurel NJ passed my interview.

November 13th Oath ceremony 3pm now a citizen

November 14th applied for my passport 

November 25th Received my passport 

November 27th Received my naturalization certificate back

November 28th Updated my social security records 

Hi Your AP Card or G/C is only needed to when you return to the USA, as it's your prof of your entitlement to enter the USA as a resident.

As for entering Canada you will be doing so as a Canadian Citizen not a visitor.

Brian

You're actually a visiting Canadian; CBSA has asked me repeatedly to show my green card. Customs exemptions are the ones for visitors, different than for residents of Canada (citizens or otherwise). Edited by Boston~Montreal

You're actually a visiting Canadian; CBSA has asked me repeatedly to show my green card. Customs exemptions are the ones for visitors, different than for residents of Canada (citizens or otherwise).

When I went back to the UK last year I only had to show my passport to enter the UK, the only times I had to show my G/C was on my way out of the UK & On entering the USA.

Edited by blk

AOS

March 18th 2014 Received interview letter in post with time & place, 2.15pm at Mt Laurel NJ
ROC

N-400

November 13th Citizenship Interview at 10 am Mount Laurel NJ passed my interview.

Canada might be different.

Question was about customs declaration card, and your residency status is what matters there.

You can certainly enter Canada as a Canadian citizen without any documents. Much easier wirh a passport or documents, but they'll interrogate you, and eventually you'll be let in.

However, to enjoy the tax free exemptions, they will want proof of your residency status.

Edited by Boston~Montreal

Question was about customs declaration card, and your residency status is what matters there.

Thanks for the insight, I have learnt something new. :idea:

AOS

ROC

N-400

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can certainly enter Canada as a Canadian citizen without any documents. Much easier wirh a passport or documents, but they'll interrogate you, and eventually you'll be let in.

However, to enjoy the tax free exemptions, they will want proof of your residency status.

So will Canada now care about my length of stay in Canada, whether I have a return ticket booked to the US, etc. the way the US always does/did when I entered as a visitor? I'm planning to stay for minimum 6 weeks and maximum of 8 weeks to take care of my mom who has a chronic illness and I'm just wondering whether they would hassle me upon entry because I won't have booked a return flight, or whether they won't care because I'm a Canadian citizen.

Thanks for the insight!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No ......you are a citizen, you could choose to stay if you wanted. When I cross the border they do ask when I plan to return, but its more from the point of view of the my USC husband I would think

So will Canada now care about my length of stay in Canada, whether I have a return ticket booked to the US, etc. the way the US always does/did when I entered as a visitor? I'm planning to stay for minimum 6 weeks and maximum of 8 weeks to take care of my mom who has a chronic illness and I'm just wondering whether they would hassle me upon entry because I won't have booked a return flight, or whether they won't care because I'm a Canadian citizen.

Thanks for the insight!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.