Javier and Kenzie

General Advice for K1 Process, I-129F/ G-325A

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello All!

I'm petitioning for my fiancé to come here from Mexico. I have a few questions on the general filling-out of the paperwork for the best success since we are doing this by ourselves.

We both have different mailing addresses than the place that we reside. I am at school and he, nor his family are home often but they are always at their family business. Will this cause suspicions (having different addresses on the I-129F and G-325A) when reviewing my petition? Should we have the same address on both documents?

He is from Mexico City, but within Mexico City they have townships. Do these need to be named under the "City" in the address and where he was born or is "Mexico City" sufficient?

With translations, both him and I speak fluent Spanish and English. Can we be the ones to translate the documents or do we need to get a certified translator? Also, do government documents need to be translated only or does evidence need to be translated as well?

Thanks!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We both have different mailing addresses than the place that we reside. I am at school and he, nor his family are home often but they are always at their family business. Will this cause suspicions (having different addresses on the I-129F and G-325A) when reviewing my petition? Should we have the same address on both documents?

He is from Mexico City, but within Mexico City they have townships. Do these need to be named under the "City" in the address and where he was born or is "Mexico City" sufficient?

With translations, both him and I speak fluent Spanish and English. Can we be the ones to translate the documents or do we need to get a certified translator? Also, do government documents need to be translated only or does evidence need to be translated as well?

Thanks!

Answers:

• No, different address will not cause suspicions. Fill the forms out as it applies to you.
  • Mexico City is sufficient.
  • There is no rule that says you cannot sign the attestation statement regarding translations. Only government documents need to be translated, evidence does not need to be translated.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

If you are speaking of translating documents such as birth certificates or formal documents, they need to be translated by someone who is certified. Please read the attached link. This is taken from the uscis.gov page itself.

Edited by MouadsWife

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Timeline

Thank you so much for your answers! Just one more question. When stating where my fiancé will live, does it need to be a specific address or would I be able to put just a city and state since I know for sure that we will be living where the university is at. If I do so should I make a note on a continuation sheet?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

If you are speaking of translating documents such as birth certificates or formal documents, they need to be translated by someone who is certified. Please read the attached link. This is taken from the uscis.gov page itself.

OP, disregard the way this poster is interpreting what is written on the USCIS website (it's incorrect). Any person who is fluent in the foreign language can translate the item(s) in question and sign the required attestation statement. Nowhere on that page is there a requirement that it be done by a professional translator. I've quoted the relevant text from the link below:

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

If USCIS wants translations done by professionals, they would specifically state that. "Certified" in this case simply means the person who did it, did it correctly.

I needed something translated and a relative of mine knew someone who could do it for me. The person was not a professional translator but was fluent in the language, and that individual signed the required attestation statement which I quoted above. I had no issues.

If you are concerned about doing it yourself, have a third party who is fluent in both languages look it over and have them sign the attestation statement.

Thank you so much for your answers! Just one more question. When stating where my fiancé will live, does it need to be a specific address or would I be able to put just a city and state since I know for sure that we will be living where the university is at. If I do so should I make a note on a continuation sheet?

City and state or "to be determined" are both acceptable. You will need to be specific later in the process.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Anyone fluent in both languages can do the translation. The person doing the translation just needs to include that certification on the translated document to attest to the fact that are fluent and it is an accurate translation. Many people have even translated their own documents.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An unnecessarily argumentative post has been removed. Absolutely anyone, for pay or for free, can perform the translation and attach the USCIS certification as posted above.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Let me reiterate. What I said was taken out of context. I never said that the document had to be done by a professional translator. All I did was copy and paste the uscis link for the OP and relay what uscis stated.

Edited by MouadsWife

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

they need to be translated by someone who is certified.

The wording of the above was open to great misinterpretation and warranted correction. This has now been done.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

The wording of the above was open to great misinterpretation and warranted correction. This has now been done.

Uscis states "please submit certified translations...."

I only 'QUOTED' uscis. Nothing was of my opinion or thoughts. If you want to state an incorrecness, state uscis as an incorrectness. I thought that link was of importance. Now the op can do with that information what she wills, but me providing an important link, and quoting uscis' s words were correct. Not my link,....

Edited by MouadsWife

Timeline

Uscis states "please submit certified translations...."

I only 'QUOTED' uscis. Nothing was of my opinion or thoughts. If you want to state an incorrecness, state uscis as an incorrectness. I thought that link was of importance. Now the op can do with that information what she wills, but me providing an important link, and quoting uscis' s words were correct. Not my link,....

Yes, and Ryan posted exactly what it stated from the USCIS site you linked to. People link to that USCIS translation information all the time. You aren't linking new information. That is not the problem.

It stated more than just, 'please submit certified translations..' The rest of what it states is important for context and understanding exactly what the USCIS is wanting. The person does not need to be officially 'certified' in any way. They just need to include that example 'certification' or one that is similar. That is how they certify that they are fluent in both languages and provided an accurate translation. People have been following this suggested format from the USCIS for many years now and translating their own, or getting someone they know that is fluent in both to do them.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Thanks all for your help! I understood how it works from both the website and what was posted. I figured that is what it meant but wanted to have a second opinion to be sure. When we have extra attachments with our forms or notes do those need to be signed and dated?

Edited by Javier and Kenzie

Timeline

If adding an attachment to a form question, then you should sign and date it.

How To Fill Out Form I-129F

2. If extra space is needed to complete any item, attach a continuation sheet, write your name and Alien Registration
Number (A-Number) (if any), at the top of each sheet of paper, indicate the Part and Item Number to which your
answer refers, and date and sign each sheet.

Timeline

Sorry I didn't specify which document. I read through the instructions so I know I need to do that for the I-129F. Is it the same procedure for the G-325A form?

Timeline

Yes, and Ryan posted exactly what it stated from the USCIS site you linked to. People link to that USCIS translation information all the time. You aren't linking new information. That is not the problem.

It stated more than just, 'please submit certified translations..' The rest of what it states is important for context and understanding exactly what the USCIS is wanting. The person does not need to be officially 'certified' in any way. They just need to include that example 'certification' or one that is similar. That is how they certify that they are fluent in both languages and provided an accurate translation. People have been following this suggested format from the USCIS for many years now and translating their own, or getting someone they know that is fluent in both to do them.

Thank you for your response, I get that coming from you. I did not venture to far from that link.. I just wanted to provide the link. But in my mind, it seemed it bit open at first because of the word 'certified'. For example: certified technician, certified in cpr... etc. How does one get certified? By receiving a certificate of degree of sorts through achievement, through education, learning, through institutions. Not by just knowing. So I was thinking in my mind (not out loud) would this have to be done by someone certified as a translator in that language. If we went to court, we couldn't have family members translate what we say to the jury and judge.. that would be biased. So if we translate our own documents, wouldn't that be the same thing? And what if the embassy or someone at uscis had that same concern? But, evidently its ok. So that was just my mussing over that. I did understand what you wrote me and I appreciate you taking the time out to explain it. Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.