9degrees

State marriage certificate still shows old last name of wife

4 posts in this topic

The state we got married in still states my wife's last name as her original maiden name in our marriage certificate (not marriage license). Shouldn't she have my last name listed on it if that's what we chose? Instead of Jane Marry Smith (say, my last name is Smith), it's still stated as Jane Marry Doe.

We have about three weeks before her K1 expires and I'd like this to not be an issue as we file for her AOS. :(

I know my marriage certificate, in Nevada, just had my maiden name and I could use that to aos with my husbands name when residing in California.

Some states marriage certificate has a line stating which name you have declared you want to use after marriage and others don't have that.

Instead they allow you to choose any combination of post marriage last name by using the wedding certificate listing your maiden name and your spouses name as evidence of being allowed to.

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

I know my marriage certificate, in Nevada, just had my maiden name and I could use that to aos with my husbands name when residing in California.

Some states marriage certificate has a line stating which name you have declared you want to use after marriage and others don't have that.

Instead they allow you to choose any combination of post marriage last name by using the wedding certificate listing your maiden name and your spouses name as evidence of being allowed to.

Thank you. That helped to ease my mind. I really hope this is correct. I will call the department thathandles marriage licenses and certificates as soon as I can just to be %100 sure they didn't screw it up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If your state is not one that has a place to list name after marriage, then it is fine. Many states do not list the name after marriage on the marriage certificate. Here in FL, the marriage certificate is basically just a copy of the license and will show only the names at the time of marriage. The marriage certificates still work as proof of legal name change.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.