iannikki

marriage to a US prisoner

93 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This could be heaven or this could be hell.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

This is after all VJ, no need for facts to supplant morale outrage.

I think half of the people are just curious of his offense, while the other half truly thinks they might be able to prevent a dangerous situation from occurring.

Both are fruitless, it's very clear the OP is hell-bent on making this happen.

I think the biggest question here is, are they really going to bypass the petitioner's presence if requested simply because he's behind bars? Does that roll out the red carpet for him or something? I have a feeling they don't hold a prisoner to the same standards as a soldier in terms of waiving presence. I could be totally wrong? Someone clear this up?

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Timeline

I know it is both not required and uncommon in

London for the petitioner to be present.

Somebody commented that S Africa was the same.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I know it is both not required and uncommon in

London for the petitioner to be present.

Somebody commented that S Africa was the same.

I wasn't speaking about the consulate specifically, there are other times his presence could be requested. Or would they never even bother requesting it considering they'd know his circumstance?

I think it would be helpful to know when his term is up, and who will be paying for everything. (Presumably his parents?)

Baby what we have"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think half of the people are just curious of his offense, while the other half truly thinks they might be able to prevent a dangerous situation from occurring.

Both are fruitless, it's very clear the OP is hell-bent on making this happen.

I think the biggest question here is, are they really going to bypass the petitioner's presence if requested simply because he's behind bars? Does that roll out the red carpet for him or something? I have a feeling they don't hold a prisoner to the same standards as a soldier in terms of waiving presence. I could be totally wrong? Someone clear this up?

I agree. I do not think they will hold him by the same standards. Not being able to attend the (AOS) with your spouse because your serving your country is not the same as not attending because your are now property of the state or Federal Government because you are now an inmate. Getting approved or denied is not solely based upon a set of written laws. Its not black and white. We ALL know it 'can' be based upon opinions of the interviewer. That can pave the road easily. The OP has not disclosed the reason for his incarceration for reasons other than, "I just don't want to", its because we all know its a biggie lurking there behind that door. It's obvious. I don't think its going to be as easy as everyone is predicting it is going to be.

Edited by MouadsWife

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

I wasn't speaking about the consulate specifically, there are other times his presence could be requested. Or would they never even bother requesting it considering they'd know his circumstance?

I think it would be helpful to know when his term is up, and who will be paying for everything. (Presumably his parents?)

What makes you think she can't pay herself? Why would it be helpful to know?

Timeline

What makes you think she can't pay herself? Why would it be helpful to know?

When did I ever insinuate that? It would be helpful to know because IF she is unable to pay, and IF the parents won't pay, unless this guy has savings who's going to pay for it all? She did ask for assistance, did she not?

Baby what we have"

Timeline

I must have missed her request for financial assistance.

I must have misread OP's original question asking what can they do to be in terms of EVERYTHING else but the financial portion of the process. My huge mistake. How can I go on without you, Boston~Montreal?

Baby what we have"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

OP stated in their first post that the USC petitioner's parents would be sponsoring her.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

This is an immigration site so reasonable to suppose the questions are immigration related unless specifically said otherwise.

I am a bit curious on how this will be treated via K1. South Africa is a high fraud country already, adding someone in prison in the mix has to make it harder.

While I know that there is the person here from Sweden where everything went smooth, that was their experience with a spousal visa and Sweden is a low fraud country.

I personally think that the OP should be prepared for some of the hardest talks she's ever had in her life, both by those answering questions and the future CO that will be scrutinizing her relationship. I also hope that her fiance is being honest in the process and with her because if she only gets told half the story and then repeats what SHE thinks is true to the CO, that could get them denied right there.

If there are CO's in Canada, a low fraud country, that try to dissuade a Canadian from moving to America because of her fiances crime/court records (This was sometime last month), I really think that a South African CO is going to be a lot harsher.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am a bit curious on how this will be treated via K1. South Africa is a high fraud country already, adding someone in prison in the mix has to make it harder.

While I know that there is the person here from Sweden where everything went smooth, that was their experience with a spousal visa and Sweden is a low fraud country.

I personally think that the OP should be prepared for some of the hardest talks she's ever had in her life, both by those answering questions and the future CO that will be scrutinizing her relationship. I also hope that her fiance is being honest in the process and with her because if she only gets told half the story and then repeats what SHE thinks is true to the CO, that could get them denied right there.

If there are CO's in Canada, a low fraud country, that try to dissuade a Canadian from moving to America because of her fiances crime/court records (This was sometime last month), I really think that a South African CO is going to be a lot harsher.

:thumbs:

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Timeline

OP stated in their first post that the USC petitioner's parents would be sponsoring her.

Supposedly. It's not unheard of that people change their minds. And sponsoring someone is technically free, she never mentioned who'd be paying all the fees.

Baby what we have"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.