iannikki

marriage to a US prisoner

93 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I wasn't going to say anything, but if you feel it's worth encouraging what many of us see, based on very limited information, as highly risky, I'll add another comment about it being probably a bad idea. You know no more about the OP's situation than others here, so to lambaste others for discouraging while you encourage is, at the very least, equally unhelpful. This thread isn't the first time the OP has been challenged on the wisdom of all this.

Unfortunately, your post makes little sense because you have only quoted part of my post, which has been taken completely out of context. In the paragraph following what you have quoted, I mention to OP that the CR/IR-1 is probably a better route to take in their situation and explain why. And lets not forget that OP is here for visa advice, not relationship advice.

And actually I do know more about OP's situation than others on here because my husband is in prison, so I can actually give her first hand knowledge of going through the visa process with a loved one in prison.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Jawaree thank you very much I apprediate the non judgement and the information

Petitioners CAN be requested to be there! I was requested to be there for the first three two interviews, but not the naturalization interview. Its not all black and white.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

5 pages and the bickering continues.. yes, the OP came with simple questions.. but the fact is, the OP also tends to avoid self-disclosure.. positive and negative opinions are the result of such tendencies, as caring individuals on both sides try to budge a little info into the conversation.. the OP is essentially in a prison of her own.. unable, for whatever reason, of opening herself or her story to help any of us return to her more complete information, and understanding.. perhaps an immigration attorney with a confidentiality agreement would soothe the OP's concerns..

I don't always get my posts deleted on V.J., but when I do it's a good indication I was right and they couldn't handle it !!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

with all due respect i did not come on here for judgment, only advise, there is nothing scary about this at all and since you do not know our history i would request you keep your opinion to yourself. thank you

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain that the petitioner MUST be at point of entry when you enter the United States. If he's locked up, you might wanna find out if there is someone who can fill in.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain that the petitioner MUST be at point of entry when you enter the United States. If he's locked up, you might wanna find out if there is someone who can fill in.

You are wrong.

It has been done before, OP is NOT breaking new ground.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

No. He just needs to be in the USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

There are a lot of good people in prison, my husband included, who grew up under horrible conditions and just never had a chance until now. OP, don't be discouraged by judgmental people. The phrase "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" comes to mind when I hear people and their judgement. No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes...

OP, if your fiance is in prison I would think you're better off with a CR/IR-1 visa. Mainly because with the K-1 visa, you need to get married within 90 days and that might be difficult to arrange with the prison. Also, remember that you have to get married in a ceremony you're both present at, unless you're fiance is in a state that allow family visits (which is extremely rare).

My husband and I decided on the CR/IR-1 visa rather than the K-1 because of the planning that goes into a prison wedding but also because on the CR/IR-1 visa, you'll be able to work straight away, which is obviously especially important with a spouse in prison. For bona fida proof, you send in the same proof as everyone else: photos of you together and with family, passport stamps/boarding passes of your trip/trips to see him, chat/email logs, phone records... This is for the CR/IR-1 visa thought, which I really think will be better in your case.

As someone else has already said, there are some crimes that may exclude your fiance/future husband from petitioning for you, so read up on the Adam Walsh act if your fiance is in prison for sexual- or violent crimes. When it comes to the K-1 visa, drug crimes also plays a part.

You can read it in my timeline but my husband and I are at the final stages of our visa journey, waiting for case complete from NVC this week and then on to the interview. My husband's imprisonment hasn't affected our visa journey so far, just as it shouldn't.

OP or anyone else with a loved one in prison, feel free to PM me if you have any questions specific to our situations. Any judgmental person feeling the need to PM me, DON'T. I will report you to the MODs for further action.

No, there are not a lot of good people in prison. And growing up in horrible conditions doesn't justify anyone to break the law and end up locked up.

But I do realize that people change but then I would hope that that changed man would want his wife to wait to give up her life and move across the world until he were a free man again.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

U.S. Consulate in South Africa DOES NOT care if the petitioner is there or not, they prefer if he's not even there. it all boils down to relationship and financial evidence and in your case the type of crime your fiance commited, SA is also not a high fraud country, your situation might raise their eyebrows but generally if you have all the necessary paper work, they're very laid back for a U.S. Consulate. Good luck

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband hasn't been with me to any interview so don't worry about that. But good luck convincing them this is the real deal! Unless you knew him from before he got locked up?

Did you have an AOS interview ? Your Husband must attend it with you.

Timeline

Holly bejeeezus! The petitioner DOES NOT HAVE to attend to interview in Africa at the consulate. HOWEVER, he may, might have to, a possibility, may be requested, to attend the AOS interviews once she gets here after the marriage, after they file the adjustment of status. That is up to the discretion of uscis. I had to attend two of my husbands interviews with the EXCEPTION of his naturalization interview.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Wow so much misinformation.

1. Felons can petition for fiancé/spouses

2. persons in prison can petition

3. The petitioner does not have to be at the visa interview

4. The petitioner does not have to be at the POE.

5. If the petitioner is in prison and an AOS interview is scheduled his presence can be waived (just like a military member).

It is no ones business why he is incarcerated or for how long. The only way this would be relevant would be if it is a violent, domestic violence, or sex crime. The length of the sentence might come into play as in why give her a green card to live in the US if her spouse will be incarcerated for life (or however long) but that is not for us to decide. Obviously the OP can read and write English so I doubt they intend to come here and live off the fat of the land.

Does anyone even remember what the original question was?

Timeline

Wow so much misinformation.

1. Felons can petition for fiancé/spouses

2. persons in prison can petition

3. The petitioner does not have to be at the visa interview

4. The petitioner does not have to be at the POE.

5. If the petitioner is in prison and an AOS interview is scheduled his presence can be waived (just like a military member).

It is no ones business why he is incarcerated or for how long. The only way this would be relevant would be if it is a violent, domestic violence, or sex crime. The length of the sentence might come into play as in why give her a green card to live in the US if her spouse will be incarcerated for life (or however long) but that is not for us to decide. Obviously the OP can read and write English so I doubt they intend to come here and live off the fat of the land.

Does anyone even remember what the original question was?

"The only way this would be relevant would be if it is a violent, domestic violence, or sex crime....." ????? Well he's not in because he got a gold star for good behavior..... :blink:

And as far as "he WON"T be required at the AOS interview", you can waiver, you can file, you can speculate, you can pray, but it's STILL up to the uscis... :whistle: And I'm sure with him being such a good outstanding citizen, the uscis will have his best interest at heart and all will go fine! :thumbs: So I don't think candy-coating this process for her when there's so many red lights and flags its blinding is at the best interest.

Edited by MouadsWife

When did a petitioner ever have to do biometrics? My wife went to the US on a K-1 visa and now has a 10 year GC...I never once did biometrics or went to an interview.

I vote biometrics for everyone, some people are sketchy. :content:

thank you very much, All i wanted was some information not a bunch judgemental #######. Thank you for your input.

If you want to see people get really judgmental, try having a really big difference in age.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This is after all VJ, no need for facts to supplant morale outrage.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.