iannikki

marriage to a US prisoner

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

There are a lot of good people in prison, my husband included, who grew up under horrible conditions and just never had a chance until now. OP, don't be discouraged by judgmental people. The phrase "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" comes to mind when I hear people and their judgement. No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes...

OP, if your fiance is in prison I would think you're better off with a CR/IR-1 visa. Mainly because with the K-1 visa, you need to get married within 90 days and that might be difficult to arrange with the prison. Also, remember that you have to get married in a ceremony you're both present at, unless you're fiance is in a state that allow family visits (which is extremely rare).

My husband and I decided on the CR/IR-1 visa rather than the K-1 because of the planning that goes into a prison wedding but also because on the CR/IR-1 visa, you'll be able to work straight away, which is obviously especially important with a spouse in prison. For bona fida proof, you send in the same proof as everyone else: photos of you together and with family, passport stamps/boarding passes of your trip/trips to see him, chat/email logs, phone records... This is for the CR/IR-1 visa thought, which I really think will be better in your case.

As someone else has already said, there are some crimes that may exclude your fiance/future husband from petitioning for you, so read up on the Adam Walsh act if your fiance is in prison for sexual- or violent crimes. When it comes to the K-1 visa, drug crimes also plays a part.

You can read it in my timeline but my husband and I are at the final stages of our visa journey, waiting for case complete from NVC this week and then on to the interview. My husband's imprisonment hasn't affected our visa journey so far, just as it shouldn't.

OP or anyone else with a loved one in prison, feel free to PM me if you have any questions specific to our situations. Any judgmental person feeling the need to PM me, DON'T. I will report you to the MODs for further action.

thank you very much, All i wanted was some information not a bunch judgemental #######. Thank you for your input.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Unfortunately lots of folks have a tendency to serve advice with a side of judgement. I usually don't tip in those cases.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It would of course be easy to provide some general details to avoid the quick judgments...such as sentence is only x months, or he's in jail because he forgot to pay his 1000 parking tickets or you're fully informed on the criminal history ;) You're not obligated of course but your original post left things wide open and people on VJ are like anyone else....we'd all like to know Charles Manson isn't petitioning some poor woman to come to the US with no hope in he** of a good life.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yeah, except your tax dollars aren't bringing somebody here for that prisoner so your outrage is moot. It's her choice do not our business despite agreeing or disagreeing with it.

Outrage over free education and health care for prisoners on the other hand...

Well said!!! ??

It would of course be easy to provide some general details to avoid the quick judgments...such as sentence is only x months, or he's in jail because he forgot to pay his 1000 parking tickets or you're fully informed on the criminal history ;) You're not obligated of course but your original post left things wide open and people on VJ are like anyone else....we'd all like to know Charles Manson isn't petitioning some poor woman to come to the US with no hope in he** of a good life.

that's because its nobody's business but mine and his. and just for the record its not charles manson

that's because its nobody's business but mine and his. and just for the record its not charles manson

What you have to consider though, are the crimes that he is currently in prison for going to be crimes that he will have to answer yes to/disclose on the criminal history section of the I129F, if yes, does he have access to provide evidence regarding that? And, does he have access and ability to prove that you have met in person?

Since we know very little about his case, people can only provide you with so much guidance and support.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I seem to remember a past thread that did involve a lifer.

Since we know very little about his case, people can only provide you with so much guidance and support.

Support?

Come on we just want to know!

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

True enough...some general details might have helped alleviate about half the posts here, that was my point.

Good luck, glad it's not CM, I hear he's a crafty dude

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

True enough...some general details might have helped alleviate about half the posts here, that was my point.

Judging by previous threads on this topic. I would disagree.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I seem to remember a past thread that did involve a lifer.

Support?

Come on we just want to know!

I didnt ask for support. thank you

thank you.

Timeline

And as noted if your intended husband can get through these questions and then you both can expect scrutiny of highest order during the K1 process, you should be fine.

In general, I would think your situation might slow the process up considering your husband-to-be is not in a situation where he can just simply jump on the computer to order his long lost birth certificate or run down to the local courthouse to grab something which pops up (my husband had to get his previous divorce cert notarized) or run down to the local Post office to mail something....that's probably all I could forsee.

From I29-F

2. Have you ever been convicted by a court of law (civil or

criminal) or court martialed by a military tribunal for any

of the following crimes:

Domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse and

neglect, dating violence, elder abuse or stalking? (Please

refer to Page 3 of the instructions for the full definition of

the term "domestic violence").

2.a.

Homicide, murder, manslaughter, rape, abusive sexual

contact, sexual exploitation, incest, torture, trafficking,

peonage, holding hostage, involuntary servitude, slave

trade, kidnapping, abduction, unlawful criminal restraint,

false imprisonment or an attempt to commit any of these

crimes?

2.b.

Three or more convictions for crimes relating to a controlled

substance or alcohol not arising from a single act?

2.c.

These questions must be answered even if your records were

sealed or otherwise cleared or if anyone, including a judge, law

enforcement officer, or attorney, told you that you no longer have

a record. Using a separate sheet(s) of paper, provide information

relating to the conviction(s), such as crime involved, date of

conviction and sentence.

3. If you have provided information about a conviction for a

crime listed above and you were being battered or subjected to

extreme cruelty by your spouse, parent, or adult child at the time

of your conviction, check all of the following that apply to you:

3.a. I was acting in self-defense.

3.b. I violated a protection order issued for my own

protection.

3.c.I committed, was arrested for, was convicted of, or

plead guilty to committing a crime that did not result

in serious bodily injury, and there was a connection

between the crime committed and my having been

battered or subjected to extreme cruelty.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

There are a lot of good people in prison, my husband included, who grew up under horrible conditions and just never had a chance until now. OP, don't be discouraged by judgmental people. The phrase "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" comes to mind when I hear people and their judgement. No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes...

I wasn't going to say anything, but if you feel it's worth encouraging what many of us see, based on very limited information, as highly risky, I'll add another comment about it being probably a bad idea. You know no more about the OP's situation than others here, so to lambaste others for discouraging while you encourage is, at the very least, equally unhelpful. This thread isn't the first time the OP has been challenged on the wisdom of all this.

Edited by ExPatty

Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i was not judging you

i said to be careful

i know of a case a woman came to US with 3 sons and the man she was to meet liked young boys

i said don't tell me about his case, but you need to

women have to protect themselves as when you come here, you have no family but him

i hope you understand

and sorry, i really was not judging

and i doubt a man with priison record can bring in a person to marry

immigraiton is not easy

Filed: Timeline

OP on your visits to him that will be a part of the proof that you have met face to face

If he gets to email or you accept collect calls from him keep that info as proof of

on-going relationship, write snail mail that'll help, and the CR1 does seem a better

idea as someone suggested.Do your research....best wishes

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.