bettertulip

i am thinking i got scammed by one agency who live in Los Angeles

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The only recourse I see at this point is to file a civil suit. Check with your local jurisdiction and see if the dollar amount will meet the small claims court limit.

As to jail time, you can certainly consult with a federal agency but I don't see that he has broken any laws.

But as Darnell says, I am not an attorney, I have never desired to be an attorney, and I do not offer this as legal advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I suggest reporting to FBI instead of 'court'. Perhaps you meant the district attorney's office?

Are you the petitioner or beneficiary?

I am beneficiary, still in China, my fiancee work too much each day, he has no time to post it on online.so i make this post and asking some help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow for $2800 you couldn't find a friend or something that would co sponsor for that? I didn't even know you could pay someone to co-sponsor. There is nothing about that document the looks legal. I agree with others in reporting the person, although nothing may come of it. I'd send it to district attorneys office myself.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Wow for $2800 you couldn't find a friend or something that would co sponsor for that? I didn't even know you could pay someone to co-sponsor. There is nothing about that document the looks legal. I agree with others in reporting the person, although nothing may come of it. I'd send it to district attorneys office myyea

yeah, i feel sad it is so hard to find one cosponsor, most of them are scared to take this responsibility if one day i will become public charge.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Contracts generally do not need to be in writing.

Yes it is badly worded but he has tbe money and you want it back presumably.

Obviously getting a lawyer involved for such a small sum is not practical.

Civil not criminal issue.

Nothing I have come across says you can not pay a joint sponsor.

Shady as hell obviously.

Even with a judgement in your favour getting any money back could be interesting.

No harm in having a go through the small claims court I can see lots of practical issues.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i do find it strange that a 'reviewer' at rapidvisa dot com

actually said the income level

in the i-134

was sufficient.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

yeah, i feel sad it is so hard to find one cosponsor, most of them are scared to take this responsibility if one day i will become public charge.

I've never seen a thread here where that has happened. I don't think it's very easy to collect on.

It says something about the petitioner if friends and family think you'll become a public charge and that the petitioner would not be able to pay so they would get sued too. Either they don't understand the contract, OR, they feel like the petitioner cannot support a family.

The contract looks bad to me, but I'm not an attorney. Hopefully it's not signed yet.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Is this the entire document? First page should be explantion of who the 2 parites are with complete addresses and phone numbers

also signatures should be notarized

from what i see, no explanation of who you signed with and would be difficult to inforce or even sue

Filed: Timeline

The guy has signed one contact , anyone can take a look at this contract for me? it is legal or not? if i take him to court, can i win him and take money back?

Thanks for your help.

I am not n atty. and clearly this was not an atty contract understood by both parties.

A friendly negotiation & understanding by 2 ppl can hold up in court because private

parties can put an agreeable contract together and nothing is illegal about it as long

as promises were mot reneged on that was made.....This may be unethical but I don't

know if illegal yet, I heard there are ppl paying for co-sponsors, until its legally addressed

by the powers that be, the reality is that friend or family (anyone) can sign & produce

the required docs .

Seemingly the contract by both parties will have the court decide if it gets there, and they

may have some satisfied clients, they did state they provide this service but not legal services

OP come back & let us know the outcome

One party only signed this agreement shown here

Edited by Jawaree

The guy has signed one contact , anyone can take a look at this contract for me? it is legal or not? if i take him to court, can i win him and take money back?

Thanks for your help.

Why are you paying someone you don't know to be your sponsor? The truth is Legally you both have "unclean hands" , so if you sue him for reimbursement of your money , you will lose, because what you did was fraudulent (paying for a sponsor letter) and he got the better of you by taking your Money. Best to report him to the. FBI .

DISCLAIMER. NOT A Lawyer and cannot give legal opinion But I watch Judge Judy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I have yet to see a law or regulation that says you can't pay someone to be a co-sponsor. If anyone can post a link that would be helpful, otherwise as far as I know it is legal.

This looks to be a legal contract. A contract is an agreement between two parties, doesn't even have to be in writing, for a service in this case certain items/information to be exchanged for money. He provided the money the items were not given to him to his satisfaction. There he has a case.

Honestly I feel bad for you, but you and your fiancee got scammed by a guy trying to come off as an attorney. This is actually fairly common around here (SGV) there are almost at least 2 (immigration attorney) offices a block down in that area, and all of them are courting the large Chinese population in the area. They are always advertising that they can bring everyone over here to the USA and also rectify their immigration if they are out of status. So more than likely he got scammed.

Why are you paying someone you don't know to be your sponsor? The truth is Legally you both have "unclean hands" , so if you sue him for reimbursement of your money , you will lose, because what you did was fraudulent (paying for a sponsor letter) and he got the better of you by taking your Money. Best to report him to the. FBI .

After l re - reading your post and looking at the "contract " , I realized you have achieved your goal of exposing the immigration agent as fraud without proof that he scammed you. You showed us a poorly translated document with one signature and nothing to show That money was exchanged .

You might have exposed the scammer but you have also shown yourself as a fraudster

DISCLAIMER. NOT A Lawyer and cannot give legal opinion But I watch Judge Judy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have seen nothing to suggest paying a sponsor is fraudulent, if anybody has a source that suggest otherwise please provide.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.