vajaster

How To Expedite NVC (Procedures/Steps)

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hey Guys,

I'm curious about the NVC expedite process, USCIS is a bummer but I'm hoping when we get to NVC I can be prepared ...

So I've been over VJ's several posts and threads about NVC Expedites but there really isn't something recent and meaty (for lack of a better word) about it.

1. How do you request an expedite? (I've read you can email the expedite email address NVC has ... )

2. Can you request the expedite before having a case number and or invoice number generated?

3. What than happens through this request? Who gets it? How long does it take for review?

From what I've read NVC, if they approve the request, sends the case to the US Embassy in the appropriate country and everything thereafter is dealt directly with the embassy. Is this correct?

- If so ... well than howbout the AOS, Package 3, IV ... what happens to these? All the tax transcripts, paystubs etc. that need to be give to the embassy, than what? The beneficary has to provide all of that to the embassy?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hey Guys,

I'm curious about the NVC expedite process, USCIS is a bummer but I'm hoping when we get to NVC I can be prepared ...

So I've been over VJ's several posts and threads about NVC Expedites but there really isn't something recent and meaty (for lack of a better word) about it.

1. How do you request an expedite? (I've read you can email the expedite email address NVC has ... )

2. Can you request the expedite before having a case number and or invoice number generated?

3. What than happens through this request? Who gets it? How long does it take for review?

From what I've read NVC, if they approve the request, sends the case to the US Embassy in the appropriate country and everything thereafter is dealt directly with the embassy. Is this correct?

- If so ... well than howbout the AOS, Package 3, IV ... what happens to these? All the tax transcripts, paystubs etc. that need to be give to the embassy, than what? The beneficary has to provide all of that to the embassy?

Thanks!

You have to have a case# from NVC first. Once you get it request the reasons you have for needing an expedite. Usually they have you fax evidence if they need it. Depending on your case and your embassy it can take days to weeks to get approved because its your embassy that approves the expedite.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Pfff good luck with trying to get that out of Kabul.

We've been waiting over 4 weeks just to get a damn interview date. It's absolutely ridiculous how slow they are over there.

@ jklm2010

Haha I'm not even at NVC and this is bothering me ... Kabul's that bad huh?

How long were you guys at NVC until it was sent to Kabul?

The scan date of our last package was May 21st and we got our case complete on July 2, so exactly 6 weeks....and that was

after I was after NVC's ### every day or every other day until I got a supervisor review and then actually spoke to a supervisor too.

NVC is so much worse than USCIS, at lease USCIS has an accurate timeframe of how long they're going to take with our cases.

And by the way, our case is still sitting at NVC because Kabul hasn't given them an interview date yet :cry:

This week is my friend's eighth week of their petition begin at Kabul, and still no interview date. When she sent an email, they said she should send another email if they don't hear anything in another three more weeks! The embassy said they have gotten a lot more spousal/fiance cases lately. I must have been real recent since we got our interview date after six weeks.

But maybe an NVC expedite will transfer to the embassy?

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

This week is my friend's eighth week of their petition begin at Kabul, and still no interview date. When she sent an email, they said she should send another email if they don't hear anything in another three more weeks! The embassy said they have gotten a lot more spousal/fiance cases lately. I must have been real recent since we got our interview date after six weeks.

Wow! 6 Weeks and still no interview date? That's ridiculous!

I wonder if expediting it is the way to go? I just don't know though if it's worth expediting it due to the questions I have which I really have't been able to find an answer to.

Such as: would the AOS (tax transcripts etc.) than be collected in the embassy over in kabul or would I still resume providing that information here.

Because than it would be a huge hassle to have to send MY originals and documents to kabul for my wife to submit.

Ugh ....

I don't know if this helps, since we had a different process, but I know what you mean about getting the documents there! Thankfully, my guy was in university in Pakistan, and their postal service did well. I wasn't able to get my tax transcripts until a month after our petition reached the embassy and I mailed him copies and they got there the day he was leaving!

I've pasted some information below, but be sure to familiarize yourself with the embassy links (if you haven't already). I think the embassy wants the transcripts and a hand signature on the I-864. They also seem to want it notarized, but I haven't seen this requirement on other embassy comments.

http://kabul.usembassy.gov/im_common_mistakes2.html

http://kabul.usembassy.gov/im_affidativ_support2.html

How is the I-864 processing fee paid?

The National Visa Center (NVC) processes immigrant visa petitions after the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Department of Homeland Security (BCIS) approves them. When the immigrant visa case is current or about to become current, the NVC will send a bill to the petitioner asking him/her to pay an I-864 processing fee. The NVC will send the bill with an envelope with a bank address and instructions on where and how to pay the bill.

When does the NVC send the I-864?

After the bill has been paid, the NVC will send the I-864 Affidavit of Support to the petitioner for completion. After the I-864 is complete, the petitioner should send it to the NVC using the envelope provided.

What does the NVC do with the I-864?

The NVC will review the I-864 for technical completeness and correctness. If the I-864 is not technically correct or complete, the NVC will ask the petitioner/sponsor to correct and complete the I-864 a second time. It will explain what is lacking in the previously submitted I-864.

When a corrected I-864 is returned to the NVC, it will be sent to the embassy or consulate where the applicant will apply for a visa. The NVC will send it with the immigrant visa petition.

Signature coming soon...

I sent this email to Kabul embassy on July 10:

"I was just wondering how long it takes for your consulate to schedule an interview for an immigrant visa applicant after

it has been completed at the National Visa Center?

I would appreciate any information about how and when you guys schedule interviews. Thank you."

This is the reply I got:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

Please note that NVC schedules all the immigrant visa appointments, except fiancée visas, K1 cases."

Is this true???

Must be. I've read that for spousal visas, most of the work on the DoS side is completed at the NVC stage. But I don't know if this includes background checks or not. Hopefully that will be a positive thing! When we first submitted our petition, the DoS site said that NIV cases were taking about 15 days to schedule. This date doesn't include K-1 petitions, but I was using it as a sort of guide. Now, it's up to 43 calendar (sometimes business) days.

The embassy is trying. My fiance recalled seeing only 3 CO's. Hopefully there are more, but we've gotten a case update at least once in a week since his interview. That tells me they are at least working on it.

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

I don't know if this helps, since we had a different process, but I know what you mean about getting the documents there! Thankfully, my guy was in university in Pakistan, and their postal service did well. I wasn't able to get my tax transcripts until a month after our petition reached the embassy and I mailed him copies and they got there the day he was leaving!

I've pasted some information below, but be sure to familiarize yourself with the embassy links (if you haven't already). I think the embassy wants the transcripts and a hand signature on the I-864. They also seem to want it notarized, but I haven't seen this requirement on other embassy comments.

http://kabul.usembassy.gov/im_common_mistakes2.html

http://kabul.usembassy.gov/im_affidativ_support2.html

How is the I-864 processing fee paid?

The National Visa Center (NVC) processes immigrant visa petitions after the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Department of Homeland Security (BCIS) approves them. When the immigrant visa case is current or about to become current, the NVC will send a bill to the petitioner asking him/her to pay an I-864 processing fee. The NVC will send the bill with an envelope with a bank address and instructions on where and how to pay the bill.

When does the NVC send the I-864?

After the bill has been paid, the NVC will send the I-864 Affidavit of Support to the petitioner for completion. After the I-864 is complete, the petitioner should send it to the NVC using the envelope provided.

What does the NVC do with the I-864?

The NVC will review the I-864 for technical completeness and correctness. If the I-864 is not technically correct or complete, the NVC will ask the petitioner/sponsor to correct and complete the I-864 a second time. It will explain what is lacking in the previously submitted I-864.

When a corrected I-864 is returned to the NVC, it will be sent to the embassy or consulate where the applicant will apply for a visa. The NVC will send it with the immigrant visa petition.

Thanks for that link! That's a good tool for sure. Thanks!

Wait so from what I'm reading from the last two comments - interview date is handed to petitioner/beneficiary by NVC before it's sent to the consulate for spousal cases?

I'm not quite understanding that that response from the consulate means? So only fiance's interviews are handlede through the embassy and NVC here at the USA schedules for spouses?

Wait so from what I'm reading from the last two comments - interview date is handed to petitioner/beneficiary by NVC before it's sent to the consulate for spousal cases?

I'm not quite understanding that that response from the consulate means? So only fiance's interviews are handled through the embassy and NVC here at the USA schedules for spouses?

Here is some info on the Kabul embassy site to muddy things up more:

• After receipt of the approved petition, and when the filing date (priority date) of the petition is reached, NVC forwards a "Packet 3" to the beneficiary, specifying the documents needed and actions that must be taken by the beneficiary and the petitioner prior to issuance of a visa.
  • After the required documents have been obtained, the beneficiary should sign the reverse side of the Packet-3 letter and send it, as well as Form OF230, to the Embassy’s Consular Section. I know my fiance didn't need to sign anything. Our packet 3 and 4 were just the interview date letter with everything to bring. But in K-1's we don't need to give anything to NVC.
  • The beneficiary, who then becomes the "Applicant," is sent a "Packet 3.5" which consists of information, forms, and requests for documents. When the Consular Section receives Packet 3.5 back from the applicant, with all the forms completed and all the required documents, we will schedule a visa interview within the next few working days. Who is we? Is that NVC or Embassy? I really don't think the embassy emails anything to our Afghani partners because of the postal system... Maybe they are referring to the spousal NVC process?
  • It is important to note that almost all visa processing prior to the interview is conducted by the National Visa Center in the United States. With K (fiancé/e) visa appointments, the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy in Kabul will contact applicants with required documentation and an appointment date.

(http://kabul.usembassy.gov/immigrant-visas.html)

Signature coming soon...

Just a theory of mine: I'm wondering if Kabul doesn't work their cases in batches. Such as, instead of scheduling the petitions as they come in, they wait for them to accumulate, then schedule all fiance and spousal visas on the same day? My guy interviewed with fiances and spouses. I have been tracking seven KBL numbers that I suspect were received by the embassy about the same time ours was (and probably interviewed the same day) and all seven of them, including ours, were updated on August 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Two of the seven (not ours unfortunately) are still in AP, but are about to be issued as K-1 visas.

I also noticed in my search through CEAC.GOV, that there were a lot of visas issued the beginning of July, and less visas issued at any other time. So I'm thinking that maybe they are waiting to schedule another round for maybe September interviews (and probably why my friend hasn't gotten their interview date yet). Hopefully they will be issuing K-1 visas then too! I don't know, though. It's just a theory.

Signature coming soon...

Just a theory of mine: I'm wondering if Kabul doesn't work their cases in batches. Such as, instead of scheduling the petitions as they come in, they wait for them to accumulate, then schedule all fiance and spousal visas on the same day? My guy interviewed with fiances and spouses. I have been tracking seven KBL numbers that I suspect were received by the embassy about the same time ours was (and probably interviewed the same day) and all seven of them, including ours, were updated on August 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Two of the seven (not ours unfortunately) are still in AP, but are about to be issued as K-1 visas.

I also noticed in my search through CEAC.GOV, that there were a lot of visas issued the beginning of July, and less visas issued at any other time. So I'm thinking that maybe they are waiting to schedule another round for maybe September interviews (and probably why my friend hasn't gotten their interview date yet). Hopefully they will be issuing K-1 visas then too! I don't know, though. It's just a theory.

Oh cool so how have you been able to track other KBL numbers??? Is there like a generalized list somewhere or something?

And how have you been seeing the numbers of visas Kabul has been issuing?

Please let me know I would love to look through that info.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.