spookyturtle

Man shoots down a drone flying over his backyard

76 posts in this topic

Not entirely, but if one uses a proper load the chances of any injury from falling pellets is slim. Force = mass x acceleration. A very small pellet falling at 9.8m/s^2 does not impart much force into anything it hits after falling. Add to that shooting vertically rather than horizontally, and I think this guy acted responsibly.

Not entirely, or yes he did?

It amazes me how easily guns can cloud ones judgement.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hard to see how its justifiable since "gunshot in a residential neighbourhood" would surely trigger a heavy police response. You'd be better off calling the in the first place. Surely.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You Yanks need this (plus learning how to throw!)

If you happen to visit shops, commercial establishments, and even police stations in Japan, you might be baffled to discover bright orange baseball-sized orbs, generally placed next to the cash register. But they wont be for sale, because believe it or not, theyre actually anti-crime devices!

The balls, locally known as bohan yu kara boru, derive their bright hue from the orange paint that fills them. In the event of a theft or robbery, store employees are supposed to fling the balls at the perpetrator. When the balls hit the thief, they will burst, marking him with orange paint and making it easy for the police to identify and apprehend him.

anti-crime-orange-balls

As hilarious as they are, the anti-crime balls remain largely unused. In fact, research conducted by Japans National Police Agency indicate that they have been used in only three percent of robberies so far. Thats understandable when faced with a life-threatening situation, throwing a paintball at an armed criminal is probably the last thing youd want to do. If you miss, it might just be the last day of your life.

Interestingly, staff members in shops are given training on how to throw the balls effectively. Theyre asked to aim at the floor near the culprits feet, because the resulting splash will ensure that some paint will stick to him anyway. If that doesnt work, employees are asked to throw the anti-crime balls at the getaway car another indicator that the police can look for. In spite of this training, the balls havent been used much.

Hard to see how its justifiable since "gunshot in a residential neighbourhood" would surely trigger a heavy police response. You'd be better off calling the in the first place. Surely.

Other than in defense of one's life, there is no justifiable reason to shoot a firearm in a residential neighborhood. To say that this man acted responsibly in any way is ludicrous.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Other than in defense of one's life, there is no justifiable reason to shoot a firearm in a residential neighborhood. To say that this man acted responsibly in any way is ludicrous.

Unless of course a ####### is going after your laying hens for the second time in a week. I wish I had had a ball full of orange paint to throw at the raccoon or a light saber but I didn't.

Edit: I'd like to apologies to all raccoons for my use of the derogatory term for raccoon that has been hashtagged out above. FML

Edited by Operator

Timeline

Unless of course a ####### is going after your laying hens for the second time in a week. I wish I had had a ball full of orange paint to throw at the raccoon or a light saber but I didn't.

Edit: I'd like to apologies to all raccoons for my use of the derogatory term for raccoon that has been hashtagged out above. FML

Are your balls orange?

:no:

Sorry bud, but still doesn't float in my book in a residential neighborhood. There are traps to use for those situations. Iffin you were on a nice big farm and wanted to shoot at a raccoon, that's a bit different.

Timeline

:no:

Sorry bud, but still doesn't float in my book in a residential neighborhood. There are traps to use for those situations. Iffin you were on a nice big farm and wanted to shoot at a raccoon, that's a bit different.

So in a residential neighbourhood it is ok for drones to fly over personal property ???

SMH.

I am not a gun nut, but in this case he had every right IMO

I get pissed off when I see Google cars with cameras pass by.

So in a residential neighbourhood it is ok for drones to fly over personal property ???

SMH.

I am not a gun nut, but in this case he had every right IMO

I get pissed off when I see Google cars with cameras pass by.

Where did I ever say that?

No, it is not ok to fly drones over private property. But it is also not ok to shoot it out of the air in a residential neighborhood where people could get hurt.

Timeline

Where did I ever say that?

No, it is not ok to fly drones over private property. But it is also not ok to shoot it out of the air in a residential neighborhood where people could get hurt.

You did not say that-agreed . This is not a personal attack.