hdbueg

how safe is it to travel to Morocco?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I traveled to Morocco alone in 2013. It was the first time I left the USA. I did not travel to meet a potential spouse. I did travel to meet a male friend. I felt very safe. But everyone's experience is different. I was in Casablanca, then traveled by bus to Marrakesh and a couple of other places. I was there for 15 days.

Just be aware of your surroundings and don't go out alone. There are many tourists there. The people are very nice and welcoming.

I wish you safe travels.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When I went to Morocco the first time to meet my ex, my mother was terrified for me.... When I went to meet my now husband, he had communication via e-mail, Facebook, and Skype with many of my family, so they were all more at ease. I recommend putting off the trip for at least a few months, and get your family involved. Set up Skype appointments with him and your parents and give them time, one-on-one to get to know him. I usually felt very safe there with my now husband, but he was very protective and kept his eye on me. Even when I was there in Casablanca for his interview and had several hours to myself in a cafe, I felt very safe and no one harassed me. I think it's very important for our family's to feel that we are in good hands. There have been terrorist attacks there over the years, but it's not like the Middle East. Good luck and be safe!

01/28/2013 I-130 package sent

01/31/2013 Notice of Action Date After POE
02/01/2013 Received e-mail and text notification of acceptance
11/26/2013 Applied for SS#
02/04/2013 Received hard copy NOA1 (case not found in on-line system) 12/02/2013 ELIS site still states "accepted"
03/12/2013 Transferred to the local office 12/27/2013 received green card
04/10/2013 Case still not found in on-line system
04/15/2013 INFO-PASS appointment

05/01/2013 NOA2 sent petition approved

NVC Stage...of course it has to be complicatedreading.gifrolleyes.gif

05/09/2013 Case received by NVC

05/23/2013 Received case #'s from NVC

05/23/2013 DS-3032 sent from husband's e-mail

06/03/2013 First day I can not access payment portal

06/04/2013 AOS Fee invoiced and payment made

06/04/2013 DS-3032 resent with Supervisor Review

06/05/2013 DS-3032 acceptance e-mail

06/05/2013 AOS Fee shows "PAID"

06/06/2013 AOS package express mailed

06/07/2013 IV bill invoiced and payment made (still waiting on documents from Hubby)

06/08/2013 IV package express mailed

06/25/2013 IV reviewed - Checklist (2 errors, Birth document & date on DS-230)

06/26/2013 Requested supervisor review by e-mail & verbal request for birth document (fingers crossed)

06/27/2013 AOS accepted

06/28/2013 Checklist response sent for corrected DS-230 (I had my husband sign extra's just in-case)

08/02/2013 NVC requested a supervisor review on the checklist item over 20 business day window

08/05/2013 Case Complete!!! kicking.gif

08/27/2013 Interview Assigned

10/30/2013 Interview

11/04/2013 Pick up Passport

11/12/2013 POE @ JFK

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Meet somewhere near and safer, Spain is nice.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It is fair to assume if you have a child 15 years YOU ARE old enough to make valid choices on where you want your life to go. if you travel to Morocco you should only go and stay with his family as a safety issue because you do not SPEAK dijra. you will always need someone to translate for you and watch out for your safety because you will be a tourist in a foreign country and you will stand out like a sore thumb and people will come up to you and talk to you ask you for money and you won't understand anything of what they're saying for you. the overall experience is people will give you your shirt off your back but you'll see a lot of poverty and a lot of very wonderful people. if you're going to come over with the intent to find out if you have a fiance I would suggest you do it two times or three times and apply for the k1 I wouldn't just try one trip over and come back and apply it's not going to work like that you need to put your time and going back and forth meeting this person if you want to make that person a real relationship. I'm going back again September or October it'll be 850 dollars round trip stay with his family always always stay with my fiance's family and I am treated like a queen so I would suggest you really knowing where you going to stay who is going to watch out for you who's going to help you translate for you you have to have a sense of security that you're okay there then go ahead and go

It is fair to assume if you have a child 15 years YOU ARE old enough to make valid choices on where you want your life to go. if you travel to Morocco you should only go and stay with his family as a safety issue because you do not SPEAK dijra. you will always need someone to translate for you and watch out for your safety because you will be a tourist in a foreign country and you will stand out like a sore thumb and people will come up to you and talk to you ask you for money and you won't understand anything of what they're saying for you. the overall experience is people will give you your shirt off your back but you'll see a lot of poverty and a lot of very wonderful people. if you're going to come over with the intent to find out if you have a fiance I would suggest you do it two times or three times and apply for the k1 I wouldn't just try one trip over and come back and apply it's not going to work like that you need to put your time and going back and forth meeting this person if you want to make that person a real relationship. I'm going back again September or October it'll be 850 dollars round trip stay with his family always always stay with my fiance's family and I am treated like a queen so I would suggest you really knowing where you going to stay who is going to watch out for you who's going to help you translate for you you have to have a sense of security that you're okay there then go ahead and go

my parents are dead set against this. Please tell me Morocco is a safe country. I Mother says that she has done hours of research on government websites and states that everything she has read says this is big no no.

They are dead set against watching my kids while I go. So the only option I have is to hire someone to watch or bring them with me.

I know she is worried but I am no fool and will take care or myself. She said yeah how can you do that when they have a gun pointed at your head.

Please someone help

Looking back...my family had similar ideas about Morocco "a Muslim country" in Africa. My brother in law and sister wanted me to watch the movie "Taken" when I told them I was going to travel to Morocco for the first time! They had the DVD in the machine was forcing me to see it! But I refused to see it because I had research enough of Morocco to have my mind made about my thoughts on the country. I can laugh about it now but I understand how you are feeling.

I agree with the people who posted ...Most importantly, you need to get to know him more and then decide. You definitely have doubts and need advice from strangers on an immigration website, it showst hat you are not ready to go meet him in person in his country.

Personally, I would say don't bring your children on the first time you go to a country that you have never been to and have no knowledge of. Save more money & take your time because it's not cheap flying across the Atlantic!

Edited by Ismael&Blair

Timeline

Going on a family holiday with children to a new country is one thing.

This is completely different.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I' ve been on my own since I was 19 and when the military came out and went to college after I got out of the military I've travelled lots of places and there is no way my parents would tell me where I could go and what I could do when I'm a full grown adult now taking children is another issue you should not go to another country without going first by yourself it's not like taking them to Disneyland its a third world country is quite poor but people wonderfully nice to you you just have to consider if you want a long distance relationship are you willing to go back and forth a few times to make it work are you willing to him here? and if you can't answer yes then maybe you're not ready to go

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If I may chime in here, don't take your children. Its risky enough of you going by

yourself, but don't drag you children into it. If you need to go, then go, check him out, his family, surroundings, etc. then if you feel comfortable later down the road, then

take your kids the next time or the trip there after. Its amazing how someone can be so

different face to face then on video chat, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hide comes to mind. Be safe ,

be smart, keep eyes open ,and thinking cap on.

Also don't stay with him and or his family, book a room for few days, then if he is the

true deal, then stay with him or his family.

AOS in the USA.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi!

Morocco is VERY safe and its a very family friendly country! Moroccans LOVE kids. I served in Morocco as a Peace Corps Volunteer from 2011 - 2013 - so I lived in Morocco for 2 years as a volunteer and then an additional year working through the visa process with my husband while pregnant. I returned home in December 2014 to the USA.

Not sure what your mom's sources are but as a general rule of thumb - if the US government and Peace Corps specifically have volunteers on the ground - the safety level is decent.

Like travel anywhere or living in a big city one should be street smart specifically don't flash expensive items ie smart phones, tablets, expensive labels or large amounts of cash. Purse snatching does happen in the larger Moroccan cities usually in the form of a two Moroccans working together - one driving a motor bike and another snatching the purse or handbag - so wear a fanny pack, cross body bag or backpack instead of a purse.

Pickpocketing also happens usually on buses and trains.

Morocco does have a high level of sexual harassment - the majority of it is verbal sexual harassment - again be street smart and avoid empty areas and going out when the streets are empty specifically midday lunch time.

Also don't be surprised to get the "tourist" price when you bargain in the old Medinas /City or in another tourist area.

I hope this helps. If you have more specific questions. Please message me.

Timeline to Immigrate to the United States of America -

Travel back to our Moroccan Home from Casa: 10/17/2014

Husband submits for vacation from Protection Civile: 10/28/2015

Husband submits for demission from Protection Civile :11/10/2014

I travel personally to the Main Office of the Protection Civile in Rabat and submit a Dolence: 12/09/2014

I travel back to the USA in preparation of the birth of our baby - 12/18/2014

Husband travels back to Rabat to the main office of the Protection Civile and meets with "Head of Human resources" and told to resubmit his vacation request - told his request will be approved by 1/15/ 2015: 1/07/2015

Husband asks commander to call main office of Protection Civile to check the status of the new vacation request and is told no one but the general can approve his request and he is on vacation: 1/28/2015

Husband stops going to work for the Protection Civile in protest: 1/29/2015

We hire a lawyer in Casablanca to help my husbands case with regards to the Protection Civile : 02/2015

Lawyer sends letter to the Main office of the Protection Civile - 02/04/2015

Our daughter is born with my husband still stuck in Morocco - 2/09/2015

Direction (Main Office) of the Protection Civile Sends out Alert Letter to my husband and my husband picks it up on- 02/13/2015

Husband goes to US Consulate to request an extension of his visa - US Consulate says they won't extend his visa however they can issue him a new one at the cost of 3000DH/ $311 -/+ and to come back the last week of the month to get his second visa- 3/08/2015

Husband returns to the US Consulate and picks up *NEW VISA* with expiration date of 09/22/2015 on: 03/26/2015

Husband's first visa expires: 04/08/2015

Protection Civile continues to pay my husband - 04/2015

The lawyer sends letters to the Ministry of the Interior - 04//2015

My husband seeks help from the Prime Minister of Morocco's political party and called the lawyer to set an appointment to check on his case: 05/6/2015

My husband seeks help from a second lawyer when the first one proves unhelpful: 05/07/2015

My husband goes to Parliment to follow up with the Prime Minister's party - set a follow up appointment at a cafe the next day: 05/08/2015

I send a letter to the Moroccan Ambassador to the United States asking for help with my husband's case (registered mail): 05/26/2015

I go to Sen. Diane Feinstein's office seeking help with my husband's demission from the Protection Civile: 05/27/2015

I go to Sen. Barbara Boxer's office seeking help with my husband's demission from the Protection Civile: 05/28/2015

My husband returns to hometown in Morocco and returned his materials, the message awaiting him says "Demission Favorable.": 06/11/2015

Lots of running around to meetings and trying to get the authorization to leave Morocco by my husband: 07/2015

Husband goes to CMN airport trying to get paperwork authorizing him to leave Morocco and with the help of some powerful people GETS THE AUTHORIZATION: 07/23/2015 :dancing:

My husband leaves Morocco and arrives in the U.S.A. and meets his daughter for the first time at SFO airport: 07/27/2015

event.png

bzBsm8.png

Timeline

Sadly not uncommon.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

And I was about to put my two cents worth into this post. pffftttttttttt.

Anyway I met a Moroccan online, went by myself (like a crazy woman) to meet him, married him and lived in Morocco over a year. It was an experience that I will never forget. I stepped off the plane and I was in another world. I filed DCF from Morocco and he got approved and we both are now living in Texas. It has been a roller coaster but we have managed to survive and now his mother is here with us. So I believe we are in it for the long haul. I have been back to Morocco twice and both times I have been ill and I was ill when I was there as well. Something just does not agree with my stomach. The people of Morocco are super nice although I have never learned their language. I lived in a rural area and dealt with sleeping on the floor, Turkish toilets, washing clothes by hand etc. No AC when it was hot and no heater when it was cold. I had my husband go out and get me a fan and get me a small heater. I would go out only with my husband and stayed at home most of the time. Good thing we had a TV where I watched American movies all day long. There was not a day that would go by that I did not want to come home. But I told myself that I would stay till my husband got approved and with God's help he was approved.

I enjoy Morocco but I love my America.

I am glad you found out about your potential mate what he really was before you went to meet him. I wish you luck and hope that one day soon you do find a good man. Best wishes.

Oct 28,2006 Met online in Yahoo messenger
Dec 2,2007 Traveled to Morocco and decided to stay
Jan 7,2008 Got married in Zaio
Mar 2,2008 Got my Moroccan residency
Oct 23,2008 Direct Consular filed at consulate
Oct 31,2008 Got interview call for Dec 22nd
Nov 11,2008 Medical exam done
Dec 22,2008 Interview and got approved
Dec 23,2008 Visa issued, thanks to God
Jan 20,2009 Flew home to Texas.
Jan 21,2009 Living and working in Los Fresnos, Texas
Oct 30,2010 Filed I-751 Lifting of Conditions
Nov 2, 2010 NOA1
Dec 10,2010 Biometrics
Mar 23,2011 Approved Lifting of Conditions
Oct 28,2011 Filed N-400 Naturalization
Nov 02,2011 NOA 1
Nov 28,2011 Recd text/email placed inline for interview schedule
Dec 01,2011 Recd text/email interview scheduled,pending letter
Jan 10,2012 Interview Date
Jan 10,2012 Interview Cancelled and will be rescheduled per
USCIS as Farid can only interview after Jan 20th
Feb 23,2012 Citizenship Interview Date-Farid passed. Wohoo
July 6,2012 Oath Ceremony-McAllen Texas

March 20,2013 Petitioned for Momma

March 9, 2015 Momma arrives in Texas to live with us.

January 30, 2016 Momma leaves back to Morocco for a visit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.